Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 most scenic roads in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-most-scenic-roads-in-scotland-308399/)

Yelpir Feb 20th, 2008 11:40 AM

6 most scenic roads in Scotland

I have already been told by some that the road from Fort William to Mallaig (The Road to the Isles?) is the most scenic road in Scotland. I have also been told that there is a 'secret' one on Skye (shhhh).

What are your nominations for the six most scenic roads in Scotland; the ones where you are going to want to stop and take a picture every 5 minutes?

hetismij Feb 20th, 2008 11:52 AM

Well, we drove up Glen Nevis from Fort William and took plenty of photos, but then we did that on nearly every road we went along. :) We never went further north than Fort William as we were based in Argyll but we took hundreds of photos, in spite of the very Scottish weather.
I have a couple of nice moody photos of Castle Kilchurn and Castle Stalker in the misty rain. The sort of rain that soaks you without you noticing!

Maria_H Feb 21st, 2008 12:50 AM

There are many really scenic routes but I'd need to get my map out. One that immediately springs to mind is the Applecross road. Another where we stopped every 5 minutes was the single track road that runs round the south and east of the island of Harris.

hanl Feb 21st, 2008 01:10 AM

Not sure if I can come up with 6, but one that springs to mind is the drive from Pitlochry via Loch Tummel to Kinloch Rannoch and then along the banks of Loch Rannoch. There's a famous beauty spot overlooking Loch Tummel called the Queen's View, which is absolutely lovely.

Maria_H Feb 21st, 2008 01:31 AM

Another one I was trying to think of is a few miles north of Ullapool, the narrow road that runs west through the Inverpolly Mountain Reserve, with it's dramatic mountain scenery. If you continue you can end up at Achiltiebui with it's hydroponicum and fantastic views over the Summer Isles.

sheila Feb 21st, 2008 03:18 AM

There are too many to shake a stick at.

My favourites would include

The south side of the Spey from Grantown to Aviemore

Glen Lyon and over to Loch Tay in Perthshire

The road from Port Ellen to Claddaich Bay on Islay

The Sma' Glen

The road from Pitlochry to Kirkmichael in Perthshire

The road from Ballater to Corgarff via Bridge of Gairn.

The secret one on Skye isn't secret, really. It's flagged on here.

TeddG Feb 21st, 2008 03:51 AM

I am sure Sheila let slip about the 'secret' or not so 'Secret' road in Syke to me back in 2003.

The brains ticking over and from memory it had the best golden beach at the other end (and no one there but us).

If I'm in the right place we climbed over the Hill at the back of the beach and sat for hours amazed by the view looking at the other Islands in the distance.

Oh how the memories are flooding back.