Notices

6 hours in Reykjavik???

Apr 11th, 1998, 06:25 PM
Sandy Spohr

6 hours in Reykjavik???

We have a brief stopover in Reykjavik en route to Copenhagen this summer, from 6:30 am to 12:30 pm. We don't want to spend it in the airport. Any suggestions on what to do? Where to go? Do they have city tours that early in the morning? What's the best thing to eat in Iceland? Help!

Apr 15th, 1998, 04:11 PM
Craig

You can visit the Blue Lagoon which is very close to the international airport and fun for a half day. It is a natural thermal spa with "healing" minerals. My skin was like a baby's caboose for a week after a dip there. By the way, Rekjavik city is 45 min. away from the airport and the shuttle is @$20 if I recall. It might not be worth the trip for just a few hours. Get in touch with the embassy if you can before the trip, they'll send you some good info.
I'll try to post the blue lagoon's number on this site later.

Apr 16th, 1998, 05:57 AM
Paula

We took Icelandic Airlines to Europe many years ago and, after reading about Iceland, decided to stop over for more than a stopover. We ended up spending about a week there. It's a fascinating country! I realize you may not have the option to change your plans at this point, but if you can do it I recommend staying longer in Reykjavik and taking excursions out.

Apr 19th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Craig

The only number I could dig up was for the Hotel Blaa Lonith (Blue Lagoon Hotel) -- 426-8650. You can rent a towel and a swimsuit at the lagoon for less than $10US. I think they serve food and drinks there too. If you go out to eat you might be able to choose from traditional Icelandic dishes like rams head, six months dessicated shark, seal or whale. The lagoon really is blue by the way. The minerals and other biologics in the water turn it a brilliant electric blue, and the steam wafting off its surface over the psudo-monscape environment provides for an interesting afternoon. Stay longer if you can and visit Reykjavik for a few days. I recommend Hotel Baron-Apartments in the city 562-3204 ($50US for a double).

Search this Thread