Buying Santons in Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would be the best place in the Luberon, Provence to purchase Santons?

Would there be a special aritist to look for?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 07:41 AM

We are very familiar with the north side of the Luberon. There is a shop in Gordes, on the left on the road leading into the center of the village, just before you get to the big square with the war monument. This shop sells quality linens and also has the tall santon in the fabric clothes, as well as the smaller painted santons in several sizes. These are very high-quality santons by several different artists.

There's also a very nice kitchen/gift shop in Apt, on the pedestrian street very near the cathedral, on the opposite side of the street. (Sorry-- I can't think of the name right now.) They have some santons as well, both types, but you'll find a better selection at the shop in Gordes.

Kathy
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Sorry, just re-read my post. The shop in Gordes in on the RIGHT side of the road leading to the main square... just one or two doors down from the square.

Kathy
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM

I found some terrific santons last month in Fontaine de Vaucluse. Plus there is a nice santon museum there.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM

Aubagne, near Marseilles, is the "santon capital", but they are sold in many other places throughout Provence. Mine were made in Aubagne but I bought them in Arles.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM

You might try the workshop Santons Fouque,65, Cours Gambetta, (Route de Nice), 13100 Aix en Provence. I bought about a dozen there several years ago and they sent them to USA no problem or breakage. Also bought more later on but cant remember if by phone email or letter. You can also google them.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Good advice from 330east
http://www.santons-fouque.fr/index.php

On a day trip to Aix to visit their great market we walked a mile to Santons-Fouque. We purchased their famous "Blast of Mistral" for ourselves and for gifts. The workshop is like a museum and worth the visit.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Aubagne!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM

What are Santons ? The Oxford French dictionary does not make this clear.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Santons are small figurines I think originally to place in creches thus the saint-santons. There are all sorts of santons. I am looking at the Santons Fouque literature I brought home or what they sent me and I see for ex. Blessed Virgin, Jesus, donkey, kneeling black wise man etc plus miller, woman carrying wood, spinner, farmhand, hunter, seated fisherman, gardener etc etc. There are hundreds of possibilities. As mentioned above a famous theme of santons is the "coup de mistral". Coup being I believe a hit or a blow and the mistral is the wind again I think that blows in from Africa. The coup de mistral figurines are walking leaned over into the wind. Fouque is the father and original sculptor for this particular enterprise but if he is still alive I dont think he works on that aspect any more. If you do go to their workshop you can see the whole process from start to finish. His children run the show now. English spoken.