Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 hour Frankfurt layover (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-hour-frankfurt-layover-1468792/)

geeper Aug 28th, 2017 01:16 PM

6 hour Frankfurt layover

We are a group of 6 transiting FRA arriving AA 8:30, departing Royal Jordanian to Amman. at 1500 on Feb 23 2018, which is a Friday). Thinking of heading to either Frankfurt or maybe Mainz for brunch/lunch then back to the airport. Since Amman is not technically europe and our final destination is Israel (DFW-FRA-AMM-TLV) do we need to do anything special?

travelhorizons Aug 28th, 2017 01:34 PM

I wouldn't do it... Assuming your flight arrives on time, you'll need to go through German immigration, get a car or train to your Frankfurt or Mainz (I estimate 30 minutes each way), find a place for brunch and have your meal. You'll have to get back to the airport by 1300 at the very latest to check in, go back through passport control and security, and get to your gate.

So you might have 2 hours in Mainz or Frankfurt for lunch — not enough IMHO to make it worthwhile. I always stress over time delays beyond my control ... and you're inviting a LOT of them. Were you to miss your flight to AMM, the airline would cancel out the rest of your ticket, and that would be a very expensive and unhappy "reward" for leaving the airport for a meal.

Why don't you get a Priority Pass card (comes free with some credit cards). They have two airside lounges at Frankfurt airport, one with shower facilities. You could have a free lunch in the lounge.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Loun...Frankfurt-Main

PalenQ Aug 28th, 2017 02:18 PM

Frankfurt airport has loads of places to shop and eat - best stay in the airport though planes can also land early sometimes - play it by ear -if breeze thru bags and Immigration maybe hop the train to Mainz - use the commuter train station right near Immigration exit not Fernbahnhof much further walk away.

lavandula Aug 28th, 2017 03:56 PM

Hi, not sure I'd be willing to run the risk but if anything I'd pick Frankfurt over Mainz as it's just a tad closer to the airport. Figure on an hour through immigration and stowing bags at the airport (9:30) (assuming you have checked your main luggage through), then finding the platform plus the S-Bahn (which itself takes only 11 mins) (10:00). You might just have enough time to have a quick snack in a café (think Zeil, main shopping street, or Römer, old part of the city (10:30 - 11:30) but you would probably want to be back at the airport by 12 for comfort's sake. For me - I'd much rather go to an airport café and not feel worried about catching the right S-Bahn to be back on time. Heaps of good options. Shopping is also very good at Frankfurt.

Lavandula

PalenQ Aug 28th, 2017 04:18 PM

Maybe bite the bullet and hire a cab to take you around and wait for you?

Sassafrass Aug 28th, 2017 05:20 PM

If it were me, I would definitely head into Frankfurt - if my flight arrived on time, and everything went quickly. I have done this twice, so it is doable and IMHO, worth it just to visit the Romerberg and have a wurst. Even an hour seeing something interesting, historical and beautiful is better than sitting in the airport, again just my opinion.

Get a map of the airport and figure out exactly where you need go and what you need to do, both to leave the airport for the city center, and to return to the airport for your flight.

The Romerberg (old city center) is beautiful and there are cafes right there where you can grab a wurst and pommes frites. Did not see if you posted when you are going, but in warm weather, there are tables and you can sit outside, enjoying the architecture.

If you do this, you have choices. When you get to the hauptbahnhof (central train station), you can walk (about 15-20 minutes), wait for a tram, or grab a taxi. Again, have a map before you start off and pay attention to where you need to catch the train, (S-Bahn) as I remember, to return to the airport. Keep track of how much time it takes to get to the Romerberg. If you walk, a couple of blocks from the station, you will also find all kinds of simple foods like roast chicken, wurst, etc. if you do not mind super casual - almost street food. If you are lucky and see any place with Nuremberg wurst, it is the best, much smaller, but so good.

Because you have 8 people, you would need two taxis and I think, with traffic, it would be slower. However, taxis, though costly, could take you directly to the Romerberg and might be worth it. Someone else must know that, from real experience, not just guessing.

At any rate, I say, do it!

OTOH, if you are tired and decide to stay in the airport, it has a really nice market and some decent restaurants, so not a bad thing either.

Sassafrass Aug 29th, 2017 02:22 AM

Oh, I see 6 people, so a mini-can would do.

geeper Aug 29th, 2017 08:27 AM

Thanks everybody. I have priority Pass and were flying business to FRA so should be able to use the Japan Air lounge as well. Just hating the thought f spending 6 hours in an airport :)

That being said, I understand the risks and have seen other people say they've gone into town with 5 hours layover. This will be a group consensus of course. I'm just gathering info

My biggest concern is since our final destination is Israel, I assume we will go though some extra security in at least Amman or possibly Frankfurt

Sassafrass Aug 29th, 2017 09:02 AM

IME, maybe your group will acquiesce to group consensus, but if some wish to stay and others do not, are they all committed to majority choice?

Being an independent, plus not wanting to miss an opportunity I might not have again, if I know how to do something on my own and can/want do it, I would hope the rest would not be annoyed if I did it. In the end, however, if it did not hurt anybody else in the group, I would not let others stop me.

I was a group leader for several people on a trip.
Half the group wanted to stay at the Frankfurt airport and sleep, so they did.
I took the others to the Romerburg. All were happy with their choice.

On the same trip, near Florence, half wanted an early night at the hotel. The rest of us went out dancing. Again, everybody happy.

geeper Aug 29th, 2017 01:03 PM

Consensus was the wrong word. I am gathering info for the group to decide independently

Sassafrass Aug 29th, 2017 04:44 PM

Sounds good then. It will be interesting to see what each chooses.

sla019 Aug 30th, 2017 02:37 AM

> My biggest concern is since our final destination is Israel, I assume we will go though some extra security in at least Amman or possibly Frankfurt

That's a very important point and you should definitely clarify this with the airline. I have no experience with your route, but if you go from any German airport directly to Israel, lengthy security inspections are carried out with the participation of Israeli personnel and often at a remote and specially secured checkpoint (in Munich it's the "famous" terminal F). Walking there and undergoing the checks can be quite time consuming. When I travelled to Israel last years from Munich I was told to arrive three hours before taking off.

Macross Aug 30th, 2017 02:52 AM

I would stay at the airport. Plenty of places to eat and browse there. Security would be my main concern with the time it would take.

Mainhattengirl Aug 30th, 2017 07:37 PM

There is a train every 15 min. into Frankfurt (and back to the airport) from track 1 at the Regional train station. To the Hauptwache (5 stops) is only 15 min. You have plenty of time for a quick visit. Why spend 6 hours at the airport if you don't have to?
Visit the Römer, the Kaiserdom, the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Wall, the Main river, the Klein Markt Halle, the Farmers' market on Schiller Str. (this is right next to the Hauptwache in the direction of the Stock Market and Bull and Bear) Great place to grab a bratwurst and a Riesling, or get a burger and fries in the Eschenheimer Turm, a guard tower built in 1428. it is located at the end of the market.

A group day ticket (valid for 5 people) will be 16.40€ and for the 6th person a day ticket will be 9.35€. A day ticket is cheaper than 2 one way tickets.

Trains will be faster than a taxi coming into the city.

oscarandpenelope Aug 31st, 2017 01:43 PM

When I went to Amman last November, I also had 6 hours layover in Frankfurt. I went out of the airport both times (Sundays); took a 3-hour walk in the city hall area while on my way to Amman, and then another 3-hour walk in the financial district (including going up the Main Tower) on the way back. I didn't have any flight delays though and no problems at passport control. Regarding extra security to Tel Aviv, I would think it would be before you board the flight in Amman...I don't think they would trust anybody else to do the security check.