Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 days to spare in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-days-to-spare-in-italy-1689866/)

patriciatbrogan Sep 14th, 2020 09:59 AM

6 days to spare in Italy

This has been a last minute trip, we've just left Rome. Two glorious days there seeing the art in the churches. We're now in Tuscania where we will try and take in Etruscan things of interest in Tuscania, Tarquinia and perhaps Cerveteri (we have a car). After our 3 nights in Tuscania, we have two nights booked in Orvieto to do things Etruscan there and then two nights in Arezzo, taking in Chiusi too. We then wanted to spend three nights in Tuscany, with a day in Florence, a day doing the wine routes around the Val d'Orcia and a day taking in the Etruscan site in Volterra (we have previously spent a day at the museum there). Unfortunately the hotel we normally stay at in Colle di Val d'Elsa is fully booked which would fit in with this itinerary, so does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced, comfortable place with good access to Florence to do this three day trip. We prefer hotels usually and like to at least have good air conditioning, comfortable beds, but affordable. That is one option. The other option is to find a reasonably priced hotel centrally located in Florence or nearby to take in the art in Florence for three days. We're desperately working on a phone only while travelling, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

raincitygirl Sep 14th, 2020 11:19 AM

Hi, we stayed once at the Villa Olmi in Bagno a Ripoli which is 4km outside of Florence. They used to run a shuttle but due to covid that is suspended; but we also took taxis back and forth and it wasn't terribly expensive.
It was a really lovely property and if you will be there soon the outdoor pool is probably still open.

You didn't say what your budget is but I took a look at the room rates and they seemed pretty reasonable for the standard rooms. For example the classic double was : non refundable, no breakfast: Euro 117.92 or non refundable with breakfast: Euro 139.20 or breakfast included, Flex rate: Euro 146.08

villaolmifirenze.com

raincitygirl Sep 14th, 2020 11:34 AM

If you wanted to spend a bit more and stay somewhere divine, there is the Villa Bordoni in Greve in Chianti. We stayed for a week a few years ago and it is truly gorgeous, great food, beautiful rooms, location etc. Breakfast is included and they also have a small restaurant for dinner.( good food!) They have free parking as well.

villabordoni.com
I took a quick look and their Classic Double room (with King size bed) and including parking, breakfast and sales tax is : prepaid: Euro 216.75 or Flex rate: Euro 255.00. (all prices per night of course)

Good luck!

patriciatbrogan Sep 21st, 2020 02:21 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, we arrived at Villa Olmi this morning, which we managed to get for €107, seems a lovely place so thank you again. We will be here for 3 nights. We're going to bus in and out, they run regularly, and as I type I'm having a pre-prandial drink in Florence

raincitygirl Sep 21st, 2020 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan (Post 17158631)
Thanks for the recommendations, we arrived at Villa Olmi this morning, which we managed to get for €107, seems a lovely place so thank you again. We will be here for 3 nights. We're going to bus in and out, they run regularly, and as I type I'm having a pre-prandial drink in Florence

You are welcome, I'm glad you got such a good rate. We enjoyed our stay there and hope you do as well. I will put a couple of restaurant recommendations on your other thread.
I wish I was in Florence too!!