Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

6 days itinerary in Switzerland - Family of 4

May 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,

Maybe I am little late in starting to plan, but I surely need help. I am a first timer in Switzerland. Have only booked my flights in and out of Zurich. Reaching Zurich on Sun, Jun 25 and departing Zurich on Sun, Jul 2nd.

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids - 6 and 9 years old). We are mainly interested in sight seeing natural beauties like Mt Titlis, Jungfrau. Little bit interested in city sight seeing like city of Zurich. Not at all interested in museums. Can the experts please help me plan a 6 days trip. I haven't done any hotel reservations yet and don't want to keep changing too many bases, maybe max 2.

Any and all help would be highly appreciated.
May 13th, 2017, 07:25 PM

You could stay in Grindelwald/Wengen and do a combination of scenic train rides, day trips, and walks/hikes. Perhaps do a day-trip to Bern. Here is a website that lets you filter hikes by duration, difficulty, and elevation gain, also has a downloadable phone app (which I haven't used yet - I did a similar trip years ago and am looking to do it again with slightly older kids so this is my research in progress).
http://www.interlaken.ch/en/activiti...king-tips.html
May 13th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

thx vipsha.. not too much into hiking that much.. should I have 2 bases or just one.. is grindelwald/wengen area better and centrally located than Lucern?? would like to do day trips to Mt titlis, my pilatus and Jungfrau.. what would be better from where... heard interlaken is also a possible base?

as u may see from my note.. am pretty confused and a novice.. and detailed itinerary will be very helpful..
May 13th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Hi familytravel01,

You will need two bases to be able to ascend Titlis, Pilatus, and Jungfraujoch, and two good bases are Wengen/Grindelwald for one and Luzern for the other.

When arriving, go directly to Wengen/Grindelwald, and stay there for 3 nights. You can find things to do at this site:

https://jungfrauregion.ch/en/summer/#see-and-do

Then head to Luzern for your city experience, for Titlis, Pilatus, and for rides across the lake to visit the lakeside villages. You can reach Zurich airport in about 1 hour by direct train from Luzern, so you won't need another base. For information on what to do there, see

www.luzern.com

For train schedules, use the Swiss rail site at

www.sbb.ch

and note that there is a train station in the basement of the airport, so it's very convenient for arrival/departure.

Have fun as you plan!

s
May 14th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Agree with swandav2000, and I don't think you are late in making reservations - you could even keep your itinerary flexible to leave for Luzern earlier or later than planned (but others can chime in). We went to Luzern many many years ago and stayed right across from the train station, we found it convenient for taking trains. Luzern is a pretty town, but we prefer the visuals of the Bernese Oberland over the day trips we made from Luzern.

Interlaken is convenient for taking trains but it is way too touristy, Grindelwald may be better in that regard.

When I say hikes, I really mean 'mountain walks' where there is very little altitude gain , we constantly push the definition of 'easy'. Here is a picture from primitive camera days, I want to say we even took a sturdy stroller on it. And there were train stations along the route, so when we tired we just hopped on to the next train home.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/y2g5P8
May 14th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thx much swandav2000 and vipsha! Few more follow-ups -

- We are reaching early morning to Zurich (8:30 AM local time). Will be it possible to squeeze in a 2.5 hours tour of Zurich city before we head to Wengen/Grindelwald?

- The main station in Zurich is 'Zurich HB', correct?

- Is Wengen/Grindelwald like twin cities? Is it better to stay in Wengen or Grindelwald. A quick check reveals that to go from Zurich to Grindelwald is 2 trains change whereas to go from Zurich to Wengen is 3 trains change.

- Assuming my 2 stops are Lucern and Wengen/Grindelwald do I need to buy the 'day trips' to Mt Titlis, Pilatus, Jungfrau as offered by companies like 'Viator' or can I just take Swiss trains to these places?

- I just know of more famous places like Mt Titlis, Pilatus, Jungfrau. What else is there to be seen?
May 14th, 2017, 03:57 PM

Do NOT take day trips with Viator. There is no need for you to pay their prices when you can do this on your own easily. When in Lucerne just ask your hotel the best way to get to Pilatus or look online. Same with Mt. Titlis.

Go to sbb.ch/en and put in your location and where you want to go and time and date. It will come up with an itinerary for you. For example: Lucerne to Engleberg (Train stop to get to the cable car to take you up to Mt. Titlis): 43 minutes with no changes.

My favorite place to go while in the Berner Oberland is Schynige Platte.
//www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/schynige-platte/
May 14th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Hi again,

Grindelwald and Wengen are separate towns on opposite sides of the valley. Because Grindelwald allows for vehicle traffic, it gets a lot of tour busses, especially in July & August, and which I hate. The town is too small to absorb all of the off-loaded tour bus passengers, so they tend to congregate at the shop entrances and along the sidewalks of the town.

Wengen allows only electric-vehicle traffic, so it gets no tour busses, and there are simply fewer vehicles on the street of the village. There can be some crowding right at the train station as everyone from the valley goes up to the Jungfraujoch, but I haven't seen the crowds wander away from the station. Overall, Wengen has the atmosphere of a calm and serene mountain village, and of course the air is astonishingly clean and pure.

Yes, the Zürich main station is Zürich HB.

I agree with Dianedancer that you should not buy a tour from Viator -- yes, it is very easy to do the trip on your own. Just buy the train tickets and go.

But even more important is that you do not want to ascend the peaks on a cloudy or rainy day -- or else you'll spend a lot of time and money to go stand inside a cloud. And in the mountains, you cannot accurately tell in advance which day will be clear and which will be rainy. You just have to wake up and look out the window, then decide to go.

For other things to do ... take a look at the links that I posted. That's why I posted them.

Have fun!

s
May 16th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

thx a lot guys!