6 days in Wengen - which rail pass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will stay in Wengen for 6 nights in early August, and I’m wondering which rail pass would be best for us. During the 6 days, we are planning to see the surrounding towns of Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Grindelwald, see Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn (weather permitting), maybe also get to Thun for a day trip (and take a boat trip on the lake).

Not sure if this matters - we are getting to Wengen from Lugano via train. Also, we will use the pass to get from Wengen to Zurich, and potentially from Zurich hotel to the airport.

Based on various posts here, it seems that the Swiss Half Fare Card would be the best option (for $$ saving), but what do you all think? Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

If I read this correctly, you will be traveling quite a ways on the train from the border and to your exit point.

Then you will be riding mountain transportation considerably while in Wengen.

I suggest that you price out the Swiss Card.

I just did some calculations that showed that the half fare card was superior to the Jungfraubahnen Pass and, in your case, it definitely wins if you to to the Schilthorn.

You might investigate the Swiss Card. It carries with it a free trip from the border to your first night's lodging. In your case, I am not sure if you could originate in Lugano which is already in Switzerland! You definitely could use the Card to get to Zürich. If you spent the night in downtown Zürich, the card would not be valid for your ride to the airport. It is a short trip however, and would not cost much even at full fare.

I would email the contact site at the SBB. Go to sbb.ch and look at the top for "contact". You should find an email form that you can use to ask the question. Given that the fare from Lugano to Wengen is 83 chf and from Wengen to Zürich is 70 chf you would more than pay the extra cost of the Swiss Card over the Half Fare card.

I suggest you check it out.

The SBB site will give you national rail fares as far as train destinations. This site will give you mountain lift prices in the Jungfrau region:
http://tinyurl.com/4bq8rk
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

bob_brown,
Thanks a lot. To add some more details, for you and anyone else, the entire Switzerland trip will be 2 weeks: land in Zurich, rent a car for 1 week (visit Engadine and Ticino areas), drop off car in Lugano.
From there, train to Wengen, 6 nights in Wengen, train to Zurich, night in Zurich and to the airport last morning.

I’ll definitely look into the Swiss card – based on what I see, it costs $197 (class 1) or $146 (class 2) per person and offers 50% discount on Swiss railways, lake steamers, postal buses and on excursions to most mountain tops.

The Half Fare card costs 99 CHF (so let’s say $99) and offers 50% discount on train, bus and boat; and 50% discount on many gondolas, funiculars and mountain trains.

Considering that we are traveling on Saturday (Lugano to Lauterbrunnen) and Friday (Lauterbrunnen to Zurich), should we get the 1st class?

The Jungfraubahnen site mentions that both the Half Fare and the Swiss card offer “General 50% reduction on the entire Jungfrau Railways network” so for the week in Wengen, as well as the train from Lugano and to Zurich, the saving seems the same (50% of the regular price), regardless of the card. Is that correct?

If anyone can confirm the following, that would help a lot:
1) Murren – Schillthorn – Full fare is 82 CHF and Swiss Pass holders pay 50%; so a saving of 41 CHF with the Swill card. Half Fare card does not seem to cover it at all.
2) Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Full fare is 159 CHF, doesn’t seem to be covered by any card.

So in the end, it seems both cards are more or less equal: Swiss card costs about 46 CHF more (2nd class) but will save 41 CHF for Schillthorn. Bob, if you read this, do you agree?

Sorry for the long post – Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Please, please, bob_brown, PalenQ, anybody
I really need help with this...
Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Check out www.ricksteves.com Go to the Rail Pass section. The rail pass section compares all the passes available and what they cover, discounts, etc.

DH and I will visit Switzerland this October for our fourth trip. The first trip we purchased the first class Swiss Saver Pass. Since then we have always purchased the second class and have not had any problems. We have stayed in Interlaken and Wengen. This trip we will stay in Lauterbrunnen to save some money. We have taken the trip to Jungfraujoch and loved it. We plan to go up again weather permitting. You will love the area. So much to see and beautiful too.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:44 AM
JN

XYZ
First of all, here is a good site for comparing the various swiss rail pass options:http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/

Second, you used the terms Swiss Card and Swiss Pass interchangeably. They're different. Make sure you are looking at the right one (Swiss Card, I believe, fits your situation well)

Third, my read of the map showing pass validity is that Schilthorn is covered at 50% for both the Half Fare Card and the Swiss Card. Others like Bob Brown may wish to confirm this. Here is a link to the synoptic map showing validity:
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/uebersichts...albtax-abo.pdf

Fourth, Swiss trains generally are very nice. Not a ton of difference between first and second class, though first class definitely is less crowded. If you go the Swiss Card route, the difference in price between the two is so little, and your trip to the BO and then to Zurich is so long, that I'd go first class. Our rule of thumb has been that we take first class for longer trips (e.g., 2+ hours) and second for shorter trips. Many on this board, though, would opt for the savings of second class.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Hi xyz99,

I used the half fare card in Switzerland last summer and it worked very well for me.

If I remember correctly Murren - Schilthorn was coverd by it 50%.

Wengen - Jungfraujoch was covered 50% to (the next stop up the mountain can't remember the name but where you change for the train up to the Jungfraujoch)from there it was 25% discount.

Sorry don't know about the Swiss Card.

I went from Wengen to Lugano and stopped off for a few hours in Lucerne which broke the journey, had lunch and a walk around the town before the second leg (long journey).

I was there in July and never had any problem with finding a seat in 2nd class. Swiss trains are 1st class all the way.

Helen
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Barb, JN, Helen,
Thanks a lot for your comments and links – they are helpful. I think my next step will be a spreadsheet to figure it all out.
JN, each time I wrote Swiss Pass I actually meant Swiss Card. I know they are different, but did not notice I used both names interchangeably. Great links, hope to be able to figure the trains out.

Helen,
On our way from Lugano to Wengen, we’ll have the bags with us. Is there a baggage storage in Lucerne? I didn’t even realize the train would pass Lucerne… Good to know you had no problems finding seats. Thanks

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Hi xyz99,

Yes the are 100's of luggage lockers at Lucern station.

If my memory serves me correctly (it was a year ago) not all trains go through Lucern. You would take the Como - Zurich train which stops in Lucern and then the Zurich - Interlaken train which you would board in Lucern. Then take the train from there to Wengen.

Helen
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

I assume that 1st class tickets have reserved seats, right? Do they need to be purchased in advance? Or getting the tickets right before the train departure would be ok in August? Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
JN

xyz
As evidenced by the hundreds of threads about Swiss passes, its really a confusing situation. Unless you know the exact trips you plan to take (and who really wants to be that anal about something this far in advance when things like weather could change all your plans??), it's hard to determine the absolute best solution.

Many of us just take the one month Half-fare card and figure we'll definitely save over point-to-point and probably work out vis-a-vis the other cards just fine in terms of cost.

Good luck.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

JN,
You are so right – Swiss Passes are confusing. I have an idea of what trips we will take, but nothing is planned at that exact level of detail. Weather and mood will play a big part in our activities.

I will give another try to the Swiss Card – Half Card comparison, since they seem to fit best for our plans, but will not kill myself. I’m sure we’ll love Switzerland, and if the price difference is not huge, any of the 2 cards will do. Thanks a lot for putting things into perspective.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM

xyz99,

I am pretty certain that if you want to reserve a seat you have to book this separatly in 1st class as well as 2nd class.

I booked all of my long journeys with a reserved seat in 2nd class but none of the trains were ever full. You can book your ticket and your seat on the day you travel or the day before as there might be a queue for tickets just before the train is due to depart. (don't forget that Swiss trains run like clockwork so don't be late as they won't wait for you!)

Helen
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I would think the Swiss Pass - a 3-day flexi is the best

go to www.sbb.ch and price out trains Lugano-Wengen (actually sbb.ch only gives prices to Interlaken since non sbb.ch trains go to Wengen by they are covered in full by Swiss Pass

I think 50% off the Lugano-Wengen fare ($90) with the half-fare card and then Wengen-Zurich ($40) would be actually more than the $60 difference in price between the Half-Fare card (99 SF or $105 or so at current exchange and exchange fees of 3% or so on credit cards used to purchase it(vs $164 p.p. with the 3-day Swiss Flexipass which then would cover you in full on the Lake Thun excursion day or Thun, etc., coming down from Wengen and all

But the Jungfrau throws a wrench into this as the Swiss Pass covers 25% only on the Jungfrau trains north of Wengen whereas the Swiss Card gets 50% off (the only instance i know where Swiss Pass does not give 50% off everything on the non 100% travel days in between the 1 and 3rd days of 100% travel) - this a Swiss Pass would give 50% off everything in the Jungfrau area it does not cover in full, like the cableway Wengen-Mannlichen and all cableways

It would however cover in full one of the finest excursions in the area - Wengen-Lauterbrunnen then the thrilling new cable car to Murren (including train from where the cableway takes you at Grutsch Alp) and then the cable way down to Gimmelwald and back down to the Lauterbrunnen Valley by an absolutely thrilling cable car that is more like taking an airplane down and the bus back to Stechelberg. This is where i would use the 3rd 100% travel day on a Swiss Pass as full fare on all these must be $50 or so but i'm not exactly sure - Murren is from where you would do the Schilthorn excursion and Swiss Pass gives 50% off on this - actually the Schilthorn Cableway - eruope's longest one is a continuation of the Murren - Gimmelwald - Stechlberg canbleway - Thus i'd so the Schilthorn and this wonderful excrusion that to me is finer than the Jungfrau train, mainly in a 6-mile tunnel - to make a great day and the Swiss Pass covers it all.

Since you are coming quite a way on trains from Lugano (best route IMO would be Lugano-Locarno then the sweet Centovalli (100 Valleys) tiny train to Domodossola then via Brig and Spiez to Interlaken-Ost to Wengen vs Lugano-Zurich-Interlaken-Wengen, which might be quicker but less scenic though it is scenic - anyway that's why i would rule out Half-Fare card in favor of Swiss Card since it would cover, like a Swiss Pass 100% of either route from Lugano to Wengen which i would think would cost $100 or so at full fare.

So yes it's all muddy but i think all told you are indeed better off with the 3-day Swiss Flexipass Saver (2 names on 1 pass)esp if doing the Wengen-Murren-Wengen excursion that only the pass covers in full)

And for the Jungfrau - full fare i'd say about $120 return from Wengen?? not sure - Pass gives only 25% or $40 reduction vs 50% with Half-Fare or Swiss Card or $60 - so the $20 differential (i am not sure of the prices, giving my estimate)

makes the Pass better because it is only $19 more expensive than the Swiss Card

Swiss Cards give one trip from any border point or airport and i assume Lugano in your case to any point in Switzerland to any place and then to any border point or airport but only by the most direct route - thus from Lugano i think perhaps you'd have to go to Wengen only via the fastest route Zurich one and not be able to take the other less direct route but more scenic IMO via the cute Centovalli train and Brig, etc. Not sure about how most direct route is determined however.

Since Swiss Pass - 3 day flexipass which also gives you 50% off everything on days besides the 3 days you'd use it for 100% coverage (Lugano-Wengen; Wengen-Murren excursion; and Wengen to Zurich) stacks up as good as Card and is less prescriptive and also no need to queue for tickets on the 100% travel days, etc.

and about the Swiss Card's most direct route Wengen to Zurich may dictate the fastest route via Bern but the much more scenic route Interlaken-along Lake Brienz and then via cog rail over Brunig Pass down into Lucerne and then Zurich - it may not allow this less fast mainline route

and if i had all day to go from Wengen to Zurich rather than doing the most direct route via Bern i'd go the Lake Brienz-Brunig (Golden Pass) route and put bags in locker in Lucerne train station which is right on Lake Lucerne and in heart of town - poke around one of the world's cutest cities and even hop on a boat on Lake Lucerne that leaves from opposite the station and end up in Zurich at night

Zurich though nice is no super cutsy like Lucerne. As Swiss Passes are also good at all Swiss Museums on 100% covered travel days in Lucerne if you are interested in seeing the Swiss Transport Museum then it's $15 or so fare would be covered by the pass

It just seems a Swiss Pass gives you the most options and may be cheaper as well.

As usual i recommend www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com (actually call Byron there if you want to talk to someone who is an expert on Swiss trains, passes with questions like yours)

for lots of Swiss trains, passes and www.swisstravelsystem.com for lots of Swiss scenic trains, boats, etc.

Bob Brown points out one problem with a Swiss Card potentially - is Lugano a border point as it is inside Switzerland? Thus would a Card be valid from there - Swiss Pass sure would
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM

>Bob Brown points out one problem with a Swiss Card potentially - is Lugano a border point as it is inside Switzerland?

No, the border point to Italy is Chiasso.

>Thus would a Card be valid from there - Swiss Pass sure would

Correct.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM

This is all such great info, I may opt for the Swiss pass too but will I need to pay for seat reservations on as well for trains, when if I book with the Half fare card I assume they are included.I am also confused on how I book trains tickets with the different passes or cards, especially if coming from Dijon ie do I book train to Lausanne, then book train to Interlaken separately with half fare card or swiss pass or can I book straight through.We also go on to Venice so do I have to book the different sections there too. Sorry for all the queries. Thanks for your help
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:18 AM
JN

Marie
You will not need, nor can you get, reservations for most Swiss trains. Exceptions include the specialty trains like Bernina Express. Depending on which train you take to Venice, you might need a reservation for the non-Swiss portion of your journey. You can probably get that the day of your journey, or a day or more in advance once you reach Switzerland. The exception would be an overnight train, where it is often helpful to reserve well in advance.

If you have a Swiss Pass and have it validated, you need do nothing upon entering Switzerland from France other than show your validated pass as you train to your destination.

If you go the half-fare card route, you have two options:
1. Order the half-fare card in advance from http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm and pay the stiff delivery fee (around 40chf to the US). Then purchase your ticket online, entering your half fare card number to get the discount, then print your ticket and show it to the conductor once you reach Switzerland

2. Save the steep delivery fee, stop at your first/border swiss station, buy the half fare card and at that time buy your ticket to your Swiss destination. Again, you most likely will not need nor be able to purchase a seat reservation.

You don't say how long you are staying in Switzerland or how many trips you will be taking in Switzerland. You also sound a bit overwhelmed.

When that's happened to me, I have contacted Budget Europe Travel Service (BETS: www.BudgetEuropeTravel.com) and asked them for advice. They're incredibly helpful and, if you buy a Swiss Pass, they do not tack on the hefty delivery/handling fees.

Here are Toll-Free phone numbers from the us: 800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387; 9am-5pm Eastern Time, Monday-Friday
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Like JB says no internal Swiss trains require reservations and only on main ones can you even make them and then they are simply not needed IME so there are no extra charges

and the Half-Fare card would give you 50% off the train fare but i think if you do reserve then it would be the same as with a pass, an extra few buck charge to reserve the seat.

From Dijon to Lausanne you would IME show you Swiss pass at the Dijon station and then buy a ticket to the Swiss border after which your Swiss pass would be 100% cover - so you would just pay Dijon-Swiss border portion but stay on the same train. And as Dijon-Swiss border trains are TGVS then the seat reservation fee would be included in the ticket price and this seat would be reserved all the way to Lucerne - no extra cost on the Swiss Pass - same for leaving Switzerland but in that case the Cisalpino trains that continue into Switzerland do require seat reservation fees - a few bucks and you would pay that at the station in Wengen, Interlaken, etc.

Use your Swiss Pass to the Italian border at Domodossola and then have a Italian portion ticket that you have bought in Wengen, Interlaken to cover the rest of the journey.

You could also have the agency you buy a Swiss Pass from make those French portion and Italian portion reservations but it would cost much more i believe and these should not be difficult to make once there

But if you want it all set then the extra may be priceless.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

All,
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I haven’t looked yet into the Swiss Pass, so I’ll add it to the mix.

PalenQ,
Your description of the mountain excursions is fantastic – makes me want to be there now. Thank you also for the 2d option for getting from Lugano to Wengen, sounds beautiful. I’ll look into it, since we are planning a full day for this transfer. We are not necessarily looking in saving a couple of hours, but more into beautiful scenery.

We only have 2 full days planned in Lugano, and somehow the Centovalli train did not fit into it. I’m so glad we are getting a 2nd chance for the ride

As far as getting from Wengen to Zurich, we’ll probably opt for the fastest route this time, which will allow us a few afternoon hours to stroll in Zurich and see a little bit of the town. It will be our only time in Zurich, and after 2 weeks of scenic rides, we’ll probably sacrifice the ride for the city.
Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -