Trip to Condom, France

Search

Trip to Condom, France

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Condom, France

Has anyone been to Comdom, in the SW of France? My gf just reserved a house there for her 50th next spring (yeah, she's a bit OCD). Other than the preservativ museum, what's cool and fun in the area?

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:17 AM

I've been to Condom, though it was a few years ago. There are plenty of attractive towns nearby (Auch comes to mind, but I believe the big attraction there - a Michelin restaurant that spawned the biggest foie gras producer in the United States - is gone now). Not sure I would pick it out of a hat for a place to reserve a house, though, unless I'd exhausted many of the more attraction-worthy areas of the country. I suppose if you've got a particular gastronomic grail, like eating ortolans or drinking Armagnac, it's a good choice.
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Suggest you do a bit of digging on the following locations -

<b>Larressingle</b> - it's worth a late morning or lunch stop. Known as the Carcassone Of Gascony (which really overstates it!) but it is a delightful little walled/fortified village - effectively an entire mediaeval village within the confines of a fortified church rather than castle. It can get busy if a couple of coach parties turn up at once but you may just as likely have the place to yourself.

<b>Fourcès</b> - a pretty, circular bastide with (what used to be, can't vouch for these days - it's been a few years!) a fairly decent auberge which could do a good lunch and kept the beer/white wine cold. Not much to see except the "ensemble" other than a creaky musée de la vie rurale. There is, if I remember correctly, a flower market/fete held I think a couple of times a year which features in most literature - if it should coincide with your visit it might be an interesting diversion for a couple of hours.

<b>Montréal</b> - a perfect little bastide (arcaded central square etc, you know the drill) with, just outside the Roman Villa of Séviac which has several sumptuous mosaic floors in situ. OK so maybe not Pompeii or Fishbourne but pretty impressive none the less.

Further afield Toulouse, The Atlantic Coast and The Pyrennees are all in reasonable striking distance for a day trip (I'm assuming you'll have a car).

Other than just soak up the unspoilt atmosphere of this little visited but charming corner of Le Midi, it almost defines the original intent of that now much-abused phrase "La France Profonde"

Have a great trip!

Dr D.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Is your next trip to Intercourse, PA?
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Then on to Climax, NC?