Reload this Page >

6 days in Switzerland

Search

6 days in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:14 AM
Lorie

6 days in Switzerland

We will be in Switzerland for 6 days next month. Would appreciate suggestions for not to miss experiences (2 adults/2 children). We will be arriving and departing from Zurich. Also, I'm having trouble finding hotels with "family" rooms. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Rex

I strongly recommend you visit the web site www.twenj.net, the labor of love created by dearly departed and much missed Edward Gehrlein, who was formely a frequent contributor here.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:14 AM
anon

If you're looking for an area with much to see, many people will say the Berner Oberland is the region to base. I big recommendation that I have, because you're traveling with kids, is to avoid hotels and go for an apartment rental (probably a chalet). We did this last year with our family, and it was wonderful! You get much more space, and it is even more economical. Plus, how can you beat staying in a chalet?! It adds to the cultural experience!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Bob Brown

I second the idea of the apartment.<BR>They are called Ferienwohnungen in German -- vacation apartment.<BR>They usuall rent by the week.<BR>But, the price for 4 is usually cheaper to the extent that you could rent an apartment for a week, leave a day or even two days earlier, and still come out ahead financially. You also save on food costs because the apartments have kitchens.<BR><BR>I rent one in Lauterbrunnen at the base of the Jungfrau. The landlady is more flexible than most on the rental days.<BR>Often the apartment agencies rent Saturday to Saturday and you have to negotiate if you want different dates.<BR><BR>I don't want to get into another debate over the merits of Lauterbrunnen versus others. I have no trouble with the scenery there, even after 3 trips, and it is conveniently located for getting to other places.<BR><BR>Grindelwald is full of vacation apartments; I just never stayed there.<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
topper

topping, for Lorie...<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:04 PM
Ingo

I think it is a matter of personal preferences to stay in either hotel or apartment. I stayed in both and am leaning towards hotels.<BR><BR>Anyway, I think at this time of year you should go to Ticino (!), Lake Geneva, Lake Thun or Lake Lucerne. Lake Lucerne is closest to Zurich airport, so this is probably the best choice for you, even if you are travelling with kids. They will enjoy a visit of the Swiss Museum of Transportation (Verkehrshaus) in Lucerne and a steamboat ride on the lake. Lucerne itself is a place not to miss – very beautiful old town. On a sunny day you should do an excursion to either Engelberg/Mt. Titlis or Andermatt/Mt. Gemsstock. The famous Baroque convent of Einsiedeln is not far away, too, and definitely worth a visit.<BR><BR>For accommodation please have a look at following websites:<BR>www.gersau.ch<BR>www.brunnen.ch<BR>ww w.weggis.ch<BR>www.vitznau.ch<BR><BR>A lot of hotels offer rooms next to each other for families. Kids usually get a discount of 50%.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>