5 of us (29-30 yrs old) are going to Prague for 6 nights in mid May. We're trying to set a loose itinerary and we're hoping to see some other cities. Trouble is, there's no high speed trains in Prague so commute time is daunting when we see 7-8hrs on a train.
We had been throwing around the idea of Amsterdam for 2-3 days but we're still talking about 10hrs travel time when you figure in getting to the airport, being there early, the flight and then navigating to the city centre. So, we were hoping to find other cities that might not be as popular that are closer and something like 4 hours or less by train or bus.
I know Dresden is only like 2-3hrs and Brno is 3hrs as well. Question is, will it be different enough from Prague to make it worth it? We went to Italy last year (rome, florence, venice) and by the time we got to Florence we were kind of over the museums and mostly just walked around, rented vespas, drank and people watched to kind of take in the culture. We aren't stringent planners and like to be flexible in what we might do each day. Or, hopefully get some ideas from locals. I'd be interested in Budapest, but I need help convincing my friends. I think they want to be "wowed" by something? I think it's more that they don't understand what's there.
Sorry this got so long, but if you have any ideas on places or things to do to fill up 6 days in Prague (we aren't opposed to staying put) I'd appreciate the help. And in the interest of full disclosure, we had the travel bug and really landed on Prague because the package we got was cheap and didn't require a lot of time off work (as opposed to the Italy trip). We just wanted to be in Europe again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 2 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 3 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 4 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 5 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 6 land vs river cruise
- 7 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 8 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 9 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 10 Scotland ideas
- 11 Tips for first trip to UK
- 12 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 13 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 14 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 15 The World's Greatest Churches
- 16 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 17 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Portugal
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 22 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 23 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 24 paris to london- day trip
- 25 Planning a Poland itinerary