6 Days in Paris - too long?

Oct 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

6 Days in Paris - too long?

I am planning a trip in Mid Nov to Paris, and am wondering if 6 days is too long? I want the see the basics (Eiffel Tower, Versailles, Arc D'Triomphe etc..), and am wondering if I should plan for 5 days vs. 6?

I am traveling alone, and when I was in Rome a few years ago, I actually was there 6 days, and it seemed too long as I saw a lot in the first few days, and 5 days in London allowed me to see most of the main sites.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated! Thanks.
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM

there's a lot more to a great city than just the "sites". How about just wandering, sitting in a cafe, and absorbing a beautiful place? I don't think 6 days is enough.
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM

No, 6 nights isn't too long. Paris is huge.
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM

I agree with Momliz. Sitting in cafes and watching the people is wonderful, and once you buy a coffee or drink the waiter won't bother you, no matter how long you sit. Also, go to Versailles and Monet's house and gardens in Giverny. These are each great day trips, but check times and days.
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM

I was alone for 17 days and it wasn't enough
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM

Been here for over a month, still alot of places to see. For me, 6 days is too hectic, but thats me.
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM

I personally don't think six days in Paris is excessive, but if five days in a major European city is your magic formula, then why don't you stick with it, since it works for you?
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM

Unless she/he falls in love with the City of Light
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

...in which case 60 years wouldn't be enough...
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

I was in Paris for nine days last year...the longest of my three stays. The time just flew!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I was on my last day.

I happen to love Paris. No one around me loved it like I do, so you'll have to see if you "fall in love".

Six days is not too long at all. I'm going to confess that I did NOT fall in love with Rome, and yet there are people here that just can't get enough. Having said that, as a person that is fascinated by history, I wish I had been there longer because I didn't see all that I wanted to see in the time I had there. I'm not certain that I'll get back so that makes me very sorry I didn't have time to see more on my visit there.

So, IF the history and the arts and the food interest you, six days will NOT be enough, but if you don't fall in love, you will have the time to see some wonderful sights and venues that should have meaning for you even if you don't end up loving the city.
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM

It depends on your objective. If you want to see all the sights, six days isn't enough. In any of the cities you mention. And there is always the added possibility of day trips in the area.

But if your objective is to enjoy yourself in Paris and see as much as you can in the time frame that you decide is best for you, then maybe six days is too much. If you felt like six days in Rome was too much, that tells me that you wanted to go home, not that you had seen everything there is to see in Rome. That is an impossible objective, you would never be finished seeing sights there or in Paris either.

Is there plenty to keep you occupied for six days? Sure. Six months? Absolutely. That isn't really the question. The question is how long a trip you would enjoy.
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM

Not long enough in my opinion. We go to Paris and Paris only for 2 or 3 weeks at a time just about every year for the past 15 years and still never cover what we want . You can see things in 6 days but you won't experience them unless you sit back and chill a bit.

Our first trip to Rome and Italy was for 3 weeks and we never left Rome!
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM

In the past 30 years I have spent approximately 500 days in Paris (considerably more than I've spent in the large US city I live right outside of, come to think of it), and I still get goosebumps at the thought of going again and honestly do not feel I've seen even close to everything.

6 days? A fleeting introduction....
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM

Just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother going to a place at all if I expect it to bore me within 6 days.
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM

I agree w/ everyone else that 6 days is, if anything, too short.

However - since you feel 5 days was enough for London - maybe you are a different type of traveler than some of the rest of us. I've spent probably 350-400 days in London over the years and still haven't seen/done everything, and maybe 45-50+ days in Paris and have lots more to see/do.

So I really can't give you advice - if you "did" London in 5 days maybe 5 will be enough for Paris too.
Oct 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM

I don't think it is too long. I was there for 5 nights last October and barely scratched the surface of this truly amazing city!!

Thats why I am boarding a plane in 46 hours to spend another 8 nights there and 8 more in Rome.

Tom
Oct 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM

Agree with the above. Barely enough to scratch the surface, but you need to do your homework/research. However, if you don't have any acquantances/friends there, you might simply get lonely and then it may seem too long. I suspect that might really be your question.

If I am wrong and you are comfortable on your own, go for as long as you can.

-e
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM

I agree with everyone else, 6 days is scratching the surface only. Add in some day excursions to break the pace, see some of the countryside on the train etc and you will be fine. I just had 4 1/2 days in Aix en Provence on my own and felt a bit lonely as I think the town itself was not large enough to keep offering a "solo" traveller enough activities. I started to wander aimlessly around a bit, whereas in Paris this would never be a problem. If I did what I did again (a language course) I would recover from jetlag etc in Paris rather than Aix as it has so much more to offer. I loved Aix, gorgeous town, but 4 1/2 days was just too long.

I had 6 days in Rome a couple of years ago with my husband and that was plenty for me. I much prefer Paris, you will be fine. Schnauzer
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM

Six days won't even scratch the surface. I've spent a total of about 10 weeks in Paris and I've never been bored for a single minute. If you do your research you will find an almost infinite list of things to do in Paris.

Oct 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM

I agree absolutely that 6 days is just skimming the surface in Paris.

Yes, you could just check off the "main sites" in 6 days - Eiffel tick, Louvre tick, Seine tick....... if that's what you want to do.But there's so much more to the beautiful city of Paris-the skyline, the light, the people, the food, plus more sites - and sights - than you could possibly see in just 6 days.

I walk everywhere, even if it takes longer simply to take in the ambience and there are loads of "off the beaten track" museums, gardens and squares to wander through. But if checking off the basics is what you're after you could "do" Paris in 5 days. If you have 6 days, though, my question is why would you want to?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO