6 days in Munich. What to do?

Apr 7th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

6 days in Munich. What to do?

Hello All. I will be in Munich for 6 days this May. I have never been to Munich(or Germany for that matter)and am feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to select a few day trips to maximize my stay. I would like to narrow it down to about 3 and have considered: Dachau, Neuschwastein, Nuremburg, Augsberg,Berchtesgaden, Zugspitz, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Rhotenberg and Regensburg. Please forgive my spelling, I'm sure many of those names are botched. I will be traveling solo and will not have a car, so I will use either public transport or local bus tours. I enjoy architecture, shopping, history and I am an amateur photographer if that info helps. Feel free to suggest something I may have missed. I know I will not be able to see and do everything, your input is appreciated.
Apr 7th, 2018, 12:11 PM

I just got back home from Munich not even three weeks ago (still working on a trip report). From your choices, I went to the following: Dachau, Neuschwanstein, Zugspitze, Salzburg, and Regensburg. Hard to pick a favorite from those, but it really would be Zugspitze. We really wanted to go there, and picked the clearest day we could from our open days (the clearest would have been the day we left for Regensburg, which I loved). If the weather is rainy or mostly cloudy, I wouldn't recommend it. My profile pic is taken from the mountaintop, once the clouds cleared a bit. Awesome!

I did love that Regensburg seemed to have much fewer tourists compared to other places we visited, if that's something you would prefer. I figured Neuschwanstein would have a fair number of tourists there, but there were still a bit more than I expected to see in March.

Of the places I did visit, Salzburg hits all your interests nicely: architecture, shopping, history, and great photography subjects (sites/scenery).

I can't speak as to the places I haven't mentioned (we wanted to go everywhere, but didn't have time). We took only public transportation--worked out just fine. Our photos may not be great, but we felt we got some very good ones everywhere we went.
Apr 7th, 2018, 12:20 PM

Just a note on going by public transit to all of those places (easily done) - they all fall into the balliwick of the bargain Bavarian Pass - a one day unlimited travel thing covering city transports; regional trains and buses - cannot use fast trains but only those marked regional and these are easy to use for the places you are going - in fact like to Fuessen for Neuschwanstein it is all regional trains I believe. You buy these at stations day of travel - no reason to buy ahead of time - no seat reservations possible I think - they also come in first class - both classes for a dirt-cheap price. For lots on German trains and where to go www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

These regional passes even extend to Salzburg, Austria without any extra cost. 25 euros for one person to Neuschwanstein and back - regional trains and bus from station to castle a few miles out of town.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...-tickets.shtml
Apr 7th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Good point PalenQ! Forgot to mention that. Loved that the pass covered the trains and the buses
Apr 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading your trip report!
Apr 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!