Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 Days in London.. What would you do??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-days-in-london-what-would-you-do-261683/)

Georgian Sep 28th, 2002 12:42 PM

6 Days in London.. What would you do???

I have purchased a 6 day/7 night air/hotel package to London for early Feb 2003. Next thing to do is to get a rough itinerary put together. I know I definately want to do the London Eye just to get a view of the city but still up in the air about everything else. I like pretty much everything (i.e. art, music, theater, parks, etc).<BR><BR>My question to everyone is-- what would you put on your itinerary for those 6 days? Day trips? Shopping? Thanks in advance...

Rose Sep 28th, 2002 01:29 PM

I purchased the same type of deal-Virgin Vacations-in January-am asking the same questions. Rose

Leslie Sep 28th, 2002 03:15 PM

Any travel book will tell you all the top sights, Tower of London, Buck's House, Trafalgar Sq., Westminster Abbey, St.Paul's Cathedral, Harrod's etc. <BR><BR>Personally, if it were my first trip to London, I'd plan 4 nights in the city and two nights outside of London with a car rental or tour (Bath or Oxford/Cotwolds or Cambridge/York perhaps).<BR><BR>In 4 or 5 days in London you won't see everything but can see the top sights. Anything else you squeeze in would be driven by your personal interests such as the National Gallery or Tate Britain or art or the British Museum for antiquities or the V & A Museum for decorative arts or the Museum of London and Covent Garden.....or just pub crawls, aternoon tea, theatre, etc.<BR><BR>I would at least recommend you hop the 'Round London Sightseeing Tour or the Big Bus Sightseeing tour your first day in. This is fun to ride up top if it isn't raining and provides a great orientation to the city.<BR><BR>You should get a map of the city before you go so you can see what is clustered in what part of the city and make a tentative plan grouping places together.<BR><BR>

leigh Sep 28th, 2002 03:26 PM

I read about London all my life and knew just what I wanted to see.<BR>The second time I just walked. Every day I picked a different part of the city and walked.<BR>Plays at night or opera if you like that.<BR>Nothing fancy to eat during the day, but good dinners.<BR>Best out of the city days were <BR>Hampstead Court<BR>Kew Gardens (Royal Botanical)<BR>Oxford<BR>Bath<BR>Have a wonderful time in a wonderful city.

ira Sep 28th, 2002 03:27 PM

May I respectfully suggest that you skip the London Eye? It only encourages them to maintain a gross eyesore.<BR>I agree with Leslie. In addition there are:<BR>Portobello Road, Picadilly Circus, Kensington Gardens, A palace up the Thames whose name escapes me at the moment, The Globe Theatre, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Greenwich Observatory, The British Museum, Bloomsbury, etc, etc, etc.<BR><BR>

ira Sep 28th, 2002 03:28 PM

May I respectfully suggest that you skip the London Eye? It only encourages them to maintain a gross eyesore.<BR>I agree with Leslie. In addition there are:<BR>Portobello Road, Picadilly Circus, Kensington Gardens, A palace up the Thames whose name escapes me at the moment, The Globe Theatre, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Greenwich Observatory, The British Museum, Bloomsbury, Mayfair, Chelsea, etc, etc, etc.<BR><BR>

ira Sep 28th, 2002 03:29 PM

May I respectfully suggest that you skip the London Eye? It only encourages them to maintain a gross eyesore.<BR>I agree with Leslie. In addition there are:<BR>Portobello Road, Picadilly Circus, Kensington Gardens, A palace up the Thames whose name escapes me at the moment, The Globe Theatre, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Greenwich Observatory, The British Museum, Bloomsbury, Mayfair, Chelsea, etc, etc, etc.<BR>By the way, have tea at Harrods. It's relatively inexpensive.<BR><BR>

JOsy Sep 28th, 2002 03:41 PM

Probably not a good person to answer you , since I could spend years in London and never run out of things to do and see.<BR><BR>I would not skip the Eye .thought it was stupid and an eyesore when we first saw it coming into waterloo from Paris but loved the ride at sunset. And Southbank has many interesting things to see..Globe, Tate, Southwark Cath, just walking around!There are always special exhibitions in various museums. Do the City of London first, British Museum is so overwhelming that it's almost overwhelming, check out various exhibitions. Do you like antiques..check Portobello, Camden Passage , King's Row centers.Sunday sales , Christies, Bonhams, etc , etc!. Theater..more than you could want or expect to see in months!<BR><BR>I have to stop...I won't be there for 3 more weeks and I am getting frantic.<BR><BR>It always amazes me that pople do day trips from London when they only have 4 or 5 days! We have probably seen morre and driven more than most natives over the last 35 years...but once I am in London I can't leave!<BR><BR>If you need to get out of the city for an ear rest try Greemwich. Clandon Park NT property, and Hampstead Heath with 2 NT properties,and various others.<BR><BR>With anything less than a week , I personally would not leave the city!

parrot mom Sep 28th, 2002 03:42 PM

Among all the suggestions having just come back the London Eye was wonderful..and took a ride down the Thames and was amazed at the new construction along side... stopped in Greenwich which due to circumstances our visit was much too short and it's a must on our next trip.. So much to see and so short a time alas!!

Georgian Sep 29th, 2002 08:39 AM

I forgot to say that I have been there once last year...not for very long though.

Sara Sep 29th, 2002 09:07 AM

Where do you start. Don't leave the the city for day trips. Definately go on the Eye and a boat trip down the Thames. The view from Primrose Hill is stunning on a clear day - also a great walk back through Regents Park and down the side of the Zoo. Another stunning view is from the Greenwich Observatory,it's well worth the walk up to the top. A good book is the DK Eyewitness guide, it has great pictures, tells you all about places, has good walks and is great for looking back to when you have returned!

Patricia Oct 9th, 2002 12:55 AM

I would definitely ride both London Eye and boat over River Thames. It's very nice. I took the London Eye + boat tour (combined ticket) and it was really worth it. The guide explanation was very interesting, specially if it's your first time in London.<BR><BR>I would also recommend a visit to the Windsor Castle. Beautiful place!! Don't miss the Queen Mary dool's house and St George Chapel. And plan to have lunch and some nice pub on the 'next door' town Eton. <BR><BR>I did that 2 weeks ago and I loved the day.