6 days in Italy

Apr 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

6 days in Italy

My 72 year old mother and I will be arriving in Torino, Italy on the morning of July 2nd, 2012. We will have until the morning of July 8th to explore as much as we can before having to return to Tornio for the Zonta International convention. I'd like some suggestions on itineraries for us to see as much of Italy as possible, without wearing my mother out completely. We would more than likely be traveling by train. Is it feasible to get to Pompeii either by air or rail? We will have plenty of time in Torino after the 8th to explore the city, Interests include anything of cultural significance/value, unusual and unique places, food and wine tours, etc. Any suggestions on cities, sites, restaurants and accomodations would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Pompeii is a tough site to visit. Is your mother mobile and in good health? July will be brutally hot at the excavations and there is little shade. Many of the streets are curved stones and the site is huge. It's also a long hike from Turino. You could fly to Naples and then take the train to the site (about 1/2 hour). Otherwise you need to take a train to Rome, then change to another train for Naples.

In July I would choose to stay in the northern part of Italy because of the heat. The Lakes are lovely (accessible by public transport from Turino) and will be cooler. You could visit Venice, Verona, Parma, Bologna easily by train.
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:43 AM

I agree--stay north.

Search this Thread