6 days in Ireland

Search

6 days in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 days in Ireland

I've just received 2 plane tickets to/from Shannon Airport in Ireland. We are leaving at the end of this month and I have no knowledge of the area! Can someone give me some tips on must-see things in the Shannon/Limerick/nearby areas? Also, not sure if we need to rent a car? We'd like to see a castle while we're there, but having so few days, which would you recommend? Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM

My advice would be don't stay in the immediate area. To see the best Ireland has to offer, you must rent a car.

Go either south to Kerry and West Cork or North to Connemara. 6 days in either place will leave you breathless!

regards ... Ger
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM

You could visit Bunratty Castle which is just a short drive from Shannon. After that, though, I agree with Ger. The area around the airport &/or Limerick really won't give you a good taste of the best of Ireland. I'd head south to County Kerry, north to County Galway, or west to the coastal areas of County Clare. You really should have a car.
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Actually you could grab a bus from the airport to Galway town and use that as a base. There are all day bus excursions from the tourist office in Galway or Salthill to the Burren and North ClareCoast as well as to Connemara. You spend an additional day with a trip to the Aran Islands.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:16 AM

Limerick City is OK for shopping: Try Irish Handicrafts in Arthur's Quay Mall. Lahinch was better! At the Irish Tourist shop (where the ATM is) they had 30% off everything; and we also got our VAT rebate at the airport.

Ennis is much nicer! The Ennis Spring music festival is the last week of May but there may be some hangers-on thru the first week of June doing impromptu sessions at Cruise's.

BusEireann offers hourly bus service Ennis-Galway. We did a 'same day' return (for shopping) when we were there in March. At the outdoor market, check the labels on the woolens: many were from Nepal. Excellent quality; but I don't go to Ireland to buy stuff from the Himalayas.

You could actually spend the whole time in west Clare: Ennis, Lahinch, Doolin, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, ferry from Doolin to the Aran Islands; and if Bunratty Castle is too commercial, try Dromoland Castle (where it is said G.W. Bush will stay when he visits an EU Conference in Kerry at the end of June).

Sorry if I left out your favorite town, like Ennistymon or Lisdoonvarna or Corofin.