Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 days Iceland in a trip Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-days-iceland-in-a-trip-europe-1033614/)

JulianoMelao Jan 5th, 2015 02:39 AM

6 days Iceland in a trip Europe

Hey,

Next May i will travel with my wife to Amsterdam to stay 19 full days around Europe, we are planning to stay 2 days in Amsterdam, 6 days in Iceland and around 10 days between Ireland and Scotland.

Could you guys advice me about the better route between this countries?!

I am looking for prices around this dates between this countries, wanna visit Iceland in the end of my trip, 17-23 May.

Thank you again!

hetismij2 Jan 5th, 2015 03:21 AM

Where are you travelling from? 19 full days - so not including getting to and from Europe? Do you have flights already booked?
Why only two days (presumably three nights) in Amsterdam? Especially if one of those will be jetlagged.
Maybe you would be better skipping Amsterdam and concentrating on your other countries.

JulianoMelao Jan 5th, 2015 03:43 AM

Hey, i will travel from Brazil, bought this ticket in a special price from KLM, already done! ;-)

I am not counting the days that i will travel to/from AMS, that are 04 and 24 May.

My first plan for Amsterdam is to stay 2 nights when arrive and 1 night when depart, after 2 days get a direct flight to Iceland and stay 6 days, after that get a flight to Glasgow or Edinborg and travel to Ireland (around 9 days).

Tnks and appreciate some idea!

bilboburgler Jan 5th, 2015 04:12 AM

Just a few thoughts

You can visit Glasgow from Edinburgh on a day trip by train or the other way around, very easy. Edinburgh is a bigger drawer so I'd aim there.

Skyscanner.net is a good way to see possible routes and it also depends a bit on your musts in Ireland, adding Dublin to Belfast or Belfast to Dublin is the critical decision as the island has basically the two population centres.

Both Ireland and Scotland are far more than just their cities and getting out and about is part of the fun (driving on the left!). Ireland is especially famous for its rain, so I'd plan for each day with a B plan (an indoors one) even in May.

hetismij2 Jan 5th, 2015 05:31 AM

2 nights means one day. The first day will be taken up with arriving, and getting to your hotel. The following day you will be jetlagged so shouldn't plan on doing much, the day after that you leave. One night at the end means seeing little of the city since you arrive from wherever one day and fly home the next. It hardly seems worth the expense of a hotel.

If you want to go to Iceland last then fly to Ireland from Ams. Maybe to Cork, rent a car and explore a while, then head to Dublin, from Dublin to Edinburgh, and then to Iceland, assuming there is a direct flight.

Either leave Amsterdam for the end of trip, and add a day, or just use Ams as a hub and fly straight out to your next destination and skip the city entirely.

JulianoMelao Jan 6th, 2015 01:03 AM

Tnks. So, i just plan this and have some questions ;-)

Arrive at AMS and get a direct flight to Dublin, travel 5 full days around.

What is the best option to travel from Ireland (maybe from Belfast) to Edinburg and region? Ferry or Flight?

Stay 3 full days between Edinburg and Glasgow. I found direct flight from Glasgow.

Stay 5 full days around Iceland, get a direct flight to Amsterdam.

Stay 2 full days and 3 nights and flight home.

What guys think about?

Tnks a lot!!