4.5 days in Madrid, best location to stay for sight seeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there were any pedestrian only streets where there is nice shopping and restaurants that we could find a good hotel? I loved the Exiample neighborhood in Barcelona, can anyone think of a madrid equivalent? Someplace chi chi but not overly touristed?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM

Madrid is very different than Barcelona. It is a huge city. The chi-chi part of the city Salamanca is my favorite.

take a look at :
http://www.maribelsguides.com/

for best info anywhere
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks! I looked at Maribel's guide but I wasn't sure if Salamanca is really far from the tourist attractions?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM

The famous museums are all clustered together, there are hotels closer to the museums , a lot of restaurants and bars are in that area, but it is not very chi-chi or elegant.. it is lively because of many tapas bars, clubs, full of tourists and local at night.
Serrano is even closer to Prado and park Retiro , next to Salamanca and equally elegant.
There are some exp. hotels there like Wellington, Adler etc ( have not stayed in any of them)
The further north you go from the Park , longer the walk to Museums..
I also love Eixample more than other parts of Barcelona,
but as I said , Madrid is huge, has a different feel...
Like any big city it has its problems ( petty crime), the public transit is very good, cheap taxis, several possibilities for great day trips.
Some here don't like Serrano and Salamanca because they are more residential, house mostly expensive shops ( from Dior to Jimmy Choos), quiet on weekends ...
Depends on what you prefer..
Hope you get more ( and maybe different) input from other posters..
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM

Madrid is a VERY easy city to walk, and if needed, has a great Metro.

Dont know what your tastes are hotel wise, but I would recommend the Plaza Mayor. Centrally located, nice accomodations (not luxurious, basic but very clean, very helpful staff) which is very reasonable price wise. It's recommended in Maribel's guide. Stayed there last November for 4 days and loved it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM

GiuliaPiraino,
If you enjoyed staying in Barcelona's Eixample, you'll love staying in the posh/chi-chi/elegant Salamanca quarter. As danon notes, this very upscale area does get very quiet on weekends (its wealthy residents head to their weekend homes in the Sierra), but it's certainly the safest area to lodge.

We just returned from a stay in the Eixample and another in the Salamanca quarter.
Salamanca is where we prefer to stay when not needing to be adjacent to "museum mile".

From our hotel one block east of Calle Serrano (filled with international boutiques but now under a huge construction project)), we walked to the Prado, a very beautiful walk down past the Retiro Park and Ritz Hotel, in about 20 minutes.

There are no pedestrian only streets in the Salamanca quarter like the Eixample's Rambla de Catalunya, but walking there is most pleasant.

As I said above, if you're interested in a Salamanca quarter stay, for now, please avoid the hotels directly on Calle Serrano as it's completely torn up for public works. I spent a good deal of time searching for hotels there withOUT construction going on either in front or next door.

For now and well into next year most likely, your safest (quietest) bets are:

5 star Hotel Wellington
(great deals now for 120 euros, on Velázquez near Retiro Park)

4 star Hotel Selenza
(brand new, with quite fab gourmet restaurant Ramón Freixa on boutique filled Claudio Coello)

4 star Hotel AC Recoletos
(on quiet side street below Serrano)

3 star Hotel Hesperia Hermosilla
(between Serrano and Velázquez-retail heaven)

3 star Hostal Residencia Don Diego
(on tony Velázquez)

all three High Tech-Petit Palace properties there have construction all around them-just so you know...
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM

Maribel, thanks for the info about all the construction..
We are going to Madrid in the spring, I was considering AC Recoletos for a few days.
Good to know you like it!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU MARIBEL! I just printed out your guide and I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, taking it with me to get a pedicure I was looking at the Hotel Wellington, it has a decent enough review on TripAdvisor. We can get room and board for $228 USD is this a decent rate considering that it's a 5 star hotel and includes breakfast? I emailed them to find out if there was a fee for their wi-fi, which the website says all the rooms are equipt, but I have not received a response. Does anyone know? I think I may end up booking this, especially if you recommend it, their website prices are much higher than the discount booking I found, so I might go for it!

Are there any reasonably priced tapas bars in this area near the Wellington or will we have to walk quite a way? I understand the area is quite high prices for food? Also, how far is it to walk to the park from there?

Thank you so much for your response, very helpful!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM

http://www.solmelia.com/search/available-hotels.htm

When we do a city break we love to go to Madrid and stay at the Gran Melia Fenix/Plaza de Colón - Salamanca. It's close to museums and walking from the hotel towards the city is very pleasant.

We like to stay at the Royal floor which is a treat when you come back from a day long city walk.....

SV
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM

That's the direct link:

http://www.gran-melia-fenix.com/en/

SV
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I looked at the Gran Melia Fenix and I loved the location but I was disappointed that they upcharged for everything, internet, breakfast, etc. I can't even consider a hotel that doesn't have free wi-fi or wired internet in the room and a hot breakfast, it just makes the trip so much easier if we have at least those two things!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM

Hi GiuliaPiraino,
There was a very good reason I didn't recommend the Gran Meliá Fénix. The construction going on right next door! One to avoid for a while until it's finished, if you want a restful stay. They're renovating the building next to it. Don't know how long it will take to be finished.

Re the free in-room Wi-Fi.
It's free at the Hesperia Hermosilla and works like a charm.
At the AC Recoletos there's wired internet in the rooms for a fee, but it's free in the Wi-Fi zones downstairs.

About the Wellington,
I can't remember if the Wi-Fi is free (good to email and ask), but the breakfasts are quite expensive at 25 euros, as is the case in most 5 star properties in Madrid.
If you can find an online rate that includes the buffet breakfast that would beat the hotel's rate, I'd go with that. Or let the hotel match that rate. Their '09 rates have been highly competitive. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

As far as breakfast outside the Wellington, you just walk up a few blocks north to the corner of Velázquez and Don Ramón de la Cruz, where you'll find a branch of Madrid's most elegant gourmet deli, Mallorca. We have breakfast there (coffee, juice, croissant or breakfast sandwich) every morning when staying in this area. There's also a less chic but reliable, prosaic Café y Té branch on Calle Goya at the corner of Lagasca.

It's just a very quick walk to the entrance of Retiro Park from the Wellington. Just next door, almost.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,
Would you agree with this TripAdvisor review about the Wellington's location?

"My only problem with the area is there are few restaurants / shops within the immediate vicinity and most seemed to be a 10 minute walk away".

I like the proximity to the park, but I'd like to be near some kind of shopping or cafes?

Or is this just another miss from TripAdvisor?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM

GiuliaPiranino,
You have high end shopping galore near the Wellington, plus a huge El Corte Inglés shopping complex up on Calle Goya. Shops abound! I just had clients who stayed at the Wellington who shopped to their hearts content in this shopping mecca of Salamanca.

As to restaurants, it depends on what you're seeking. The hotel itself has two of the very most upscale, high end gourmet restaurants in the city (with prices to match)-Kabuki Wellington and Goizeko Wellington.

On the same street there's the informal gourmet pizza (cocas) and panini place, D'E, ice cream at Giangrossi plus a branch of the Asador Frontón for steaks, the casual, contemporary bistro, Iroco, and the newish Blondie, with reasonable prices.

Across the street and up a bit there's a branch of the popular tapas bar, Lateral.

On nearby Jorge Juan there are many places, from Basque to Thai to Asturian to fusion to Sula, for jamón ibérico at the bar or a 20 euro Mon.-Fri. lunch at the dining area beyond the bar on the ground floor.

There's even a Gino's pizza a few blocks away on the corner of Hermosilla and Lagasca, along with tapas at the former theater turned restaurant Teatriz on the corner of Claudio Coello and Lagasca. Both owned by the VIPS group. Ten minutes at the very most.

Then there is glam Ramses on the Plaza de la Independencia across from Retiro Park along with Senzone in the Hotel Hospes Madrid. Both high end.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow that sounds wonderful, I love shopping!!! I just got an email from the Wellington and they do charge a hefty fee for internet almost 8 euros per hour, so that's out of our budget when the room is already $228. I have elderly parents and I really need to have email contact at my disposal, I mean I get email on my phone but it makes them feel more comfortable if they can email me and vice versa.

So I'm now I'm thinking of the AC Recoletos, but have read many reviews of small dark rooms. Would anyone agree with this?

My other option is to find an apartment that will rent nightly. Actually when I look at the prices, it's cheaper to rent it for a week and only use it for 5 days than to stay in a hotel for the same length of time.

There are many nice looking apartments in Chueca. I understand this is a gay district, totally fine with me, but is it safe? We like to be able to walk at night.

Can anyone recommend an apartment either around Retiro park or in a good shopping area?

Last year we had an apartment just north of the University of Barcelona in the Eixample neighborhood and it was absolutley stunning, great tapas all around and a small grocery store right around the corner. I'd love to find something like that in Madrid, even if it is for only 5 days.

Now the Wellington did say that they would be running some specials for the Christmas holiday, but not for another couple of months. I don't know if I feel comfortable waiting and not securing a place. Is there high demand for hotels in Madrid over new years? We will be there Dec. 28-Jan 2.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM

When we were in Madrid we used an Internet place for one euro.
You may find other hotels or apt. charge a fee as well.
Shopping areas , other than Salamanca, are not very upscale or interesting ( to me, anyway).
you may take a look at:
http://www.spain-select.com ( only several apt. are available for short rentals)
http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ap...odation-33.htm
or contact
[email protected]

Daniel has a beautiful apt. we were considering , but the dates were not right for us. Tell him Nela gave you his e-mail.
If you are booking ( any) place for New Years, you better do it soon
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM

p.s.
here is Daniel's place ( an article about in a journal)

http://www.elle.es/elledeco/casas/la...%28offset%29/6
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Danon wrote >>Madrid is very different than Barcelona. It is a huge city.<< Barcelona is a HUGE city as well, so that is a very misleading statement.

There are parts of Madrid that feel very quaint. I actually love the area around Plaza del Oriente. Touristy? Maybe, but steel a great vibe. In summary, I take Madrid ANYDAY over BCN (even though I already have a ticket to fly to BCN soon!)
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Maribel,
How about the Hesperia Madrid? They are having great rates now with free wifi. Is this a quiet area of Madrid? I know it is not in the tourist area but it looks like a nice hotel and is recommended by Leading Hotels.
Sorry to hear about the Melia Fenix. We were planning on staying there in October. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Danon,
I was not able to get the link to come up? Where is his apartment located? I would love to stay in the shopping area of Salamanca or near the north end of the Retiro park. Is his apartment anywhere near there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -