Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
Notices

6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?

Dec 26th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?

We are traveling as a family (2 adults, 13 yr old, 9 yr old) with my son's soccer team for a week of games/sightseeing in Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg & Munich between March 21-March 28. With the soccer tour, we will have the following itinerary: Mar 21-23 (Buda, Pest, Szentendre); Mar 24 (drive to Vienna in the morning, Salzburg in the afternoon); Mar 25-26 (Salzburg, Eagle's Nest); Mar 26-28 (Munich, incl Dachau). This part of the itinerary is set, and we can't influence the time spent in the locations based on the game schedules.

We have decided to spend an additional 6 days as vacation. I would definitely like to go back to spend time in Vienna, as one morning is definitely not enough. Am looking for recommendations on whether we should include Prague (I've spent 2 weeks there, my family has not), or spend time in Austria/Bavaria instead. We will utilize train/buses, rather than rent a car (husband's preference). We will be flying out of MUC on Saturday am, so need to be back in Munich on Friday. Also, should we expect things to be closed on Good Friday? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Dec 26th, 2014, 11:04 PM

Whether to add Prague depends on your interests. In March the weather can still be unpredictable, and time in the Salzkammergut and Bavaria could be grey, drippy, and cold. At least with Vienna and Prague there are more ways to duck out of the cold.

Living in Vienna, and having been to Prague and Budapest a few times, we really like all three cities in their own way. Vienna to us is a fancy ball gown; Imperial everywhere (in the tourist areas) and with prices to match. Prague and Budapest are like favorite jeans; beautiful but not expensive. Some will argue that you must spend all of your time in one city or the other, but with your itinerary I think you'll have a nice sampler of both.

Here in Vienna there will be some early closings on Good Friday, but museums and most restaurants will maintain regular hours.

Happy Planning!
Dec 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, fourfortravel, for your thoughts. I would love to see Hallstatt/Salzkammergut, but realize that the time of the year is going to affect the views. Any other small towns/day trips around Vienna that you'd recommend we check into? We're from a cold weather climate in the US, so we'll have the clothing to be moving around outdoors. Thanks!
Dec 27th, 2014, 10:59 PM

jkc, there are lots and lots of day/half-day trips from Vienna, ranging from the most obvious of Melk and Bratislava to villages just across the border in the Czech Republic (Mikulov, Znojmo and Valtice come to mind) and in Lower Austria (Niederösterreich) that have interesting castles/ruins/palaces/Cold War history and so forth. ÖBB (the Austrian train) offers a Euro-Regio ticket for the CZ villages and worthwhile Austrian cities along the border. Plus, nothing warms one better in the waning days of Central European winter than hearty Czech food!

If you have specific interests I would be happy to suggest relevant destinations with uncomplicated travel on public transportation.

Search this Thread