6-7 days: where to go from Zurich?

Apr 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

6-7 days: where to go from Zurich?

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm going to have 6-7 days before my flight from Copenhagen, and I'll be in Zurich, so I was wondering which nearby city/cities I should visit: Milan? Munich? What do you consider a trip worth making for that time period so that I can see as much as possible without jetting crazily from place to place? Thanks for your time and attention! Any help woul be greatly appreciated.
Apr 29th, 2007, 05:39 AM

How about St. Moritz or Davos. Maybe Lugano, Geneva and or Berne.
Al easily to do by train or car.
Apr 29th, 2007, 05:55 AM

I am going to answer your question with a few more questions:

1. What time of year?

2. How will you be traveling - car, train?

3. What are your interests? Museums, historic sites, churches, food?

4. Where have you visited previously in Europe?

With some more information, we'll be able give better suggestions.
H

Apr 29th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I will be traveling near the end of May. The plan is to take the train.

Interests - actually, a little bit of everything. I've only visited England before, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Take time to visit Lucerne for a couple of days. Very easy to do by train from ZRH.

On your way north, why not stop in places like Munich or perhaps Berlin, and then on to Amsterdam?

Just some suggestions.

Carol
Apr 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Hi aussiegreen,

No, I don't think you should visit Milan or Munich -- they are both more than four hours away by train.

Have you considered taking some time for a mountain village -- which is what Switzerland does best! Its cities are ok, but really one goes there for the mountains & lakes.

Most first-timers enjoy the mountain villages of the Berner Oberland -- Wengen (www.wengen.com & www.wengen.ch), Muerren (www.muerren.ch), & Grindelwald (www.grindelwald.com). Here you can gaze at the mountains, take gentle walks or challenging hikes, ride cable cars, find the waterfalls, converse with cows, and find a charming mountain restaurant that time has forgotten. These places are about 3h30 from Zurich.

Another option would be to enjoy the city of Luzern (www.luzern.org), about an hour from Zurich by train. Here you'd enjoy a cruise on the lakes (www.lakelucerne.ch), exploring the old town, or riding up & hiking on Rigi (www.rigi.ch) or Titlis (www.titlis.ch)

Or, as Ida101 suggests, you could head for the Engadin, perhaps to one of the smaller, picturesque towns like Zuoz, Samedan, Silvaplana, Pontresina, or Sils. Information at www.engadin.ch.

Anyway, lots of ideas, lots of places to go. Do hope you decide to check out the scenic beauty a bit.

s
Apr 29th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I thought the train trip from Zurich to Lugano was wonderfully picturesque, and once there found it a perfect place to visit for a couple of days. Although it's Swiss, it's pure Italian in flavor. The setting is magical with the mountains coming right down to the lake shore. A boat trip around the lake allows you to get off at the various villages and explore and then get back on another boat coming through. There's also a funiculare that takes you to the top of Mt San Salvatore with incredible views. Also, there's upscale shopping and with good restaurants.
And if you want to continue the Italian experience, I wouldn't discount Milano. I think the Duomo alone and a visit to its rooftop would make the trip worthwhile, but then there's more shopping, La Scala, the Last Supper.