Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6-7 days in Kerry & Clare Co. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-7-days-in-kerry-and-clare-co-991494/)

tali_meirav_78 Sep 11th, 2013 05:59 AM

6-7 days in Kerry & Clare Co.

Hello,
I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
Thank you!

Tony2phones Sep 11th, 2013 08:11 AM

No Fossa is not ideal, too far out as you say. There are hostels in the town itself which would be a better option. Killarney has a good inferstructure for transport and tours.. I was stuck there one February without transport and restricted funds but had a great time.

Back up here to Clare and you could do an awful lot worse than the RoanTree in Ennis which is a great town and touring base with some local tours and a local bus service to get to some more remote places occasionally. there is also a local company that does Farther Ted tours.

longhorn55 Sep 11th, 2013 09:29 AM

While I'm not a fan of Doolin, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "tourist trap". But, there's not much to do there outside of the pubs and your transportation choices will be more limited than in a larger town. I agree that Ennis would be a better choice for your base in County Clare.

tali_meirav_78 Sep 11th, 2013 09:57 PM

Thanks so much for your replies!
Also, I would like to know where is best to spend more days - Clare or Kerry? ot should I divide my week equally?

Tony2phones Sep 12th, 2013 04:06 AM

You will be having your last night on the doorstep of the airport so that puts either a night in Shannon (Oakwood Arms) or your last Ennis night out leaving 3 nights each or 4 nights Ennis if that includes the last one. If you have an early arrival the bus's from SNN start running to Limerick for the Killarney connection earlier than the northbound ones so maybe start with Killarney.