Upgrades with FF miles...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one get upgraded on domestic or international flights? Do you use your miles for this? We are flying Paris San Diego via Dallas on AA and would love to get upgraded. How does one do this? How many FF miles, do you know? Is this all it takes?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

You should check the airline website under the AAdvantage program for this info. I'm not familiar with AA's program, but typical restrictions might include purchasing a fare class that is upgradeable, availability of upgrades using miles and possibly an additional fee. (None of these may apply to YOUR situation, but you need to check the program and work from there.)
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Neopolitan

Upgrading from coach to Business from US to Europe will cost you 25,000 miles each plus $250 each way. The nice part is (I think) that you'd also then be in First class from SD to DFW assuming there is no business class on that flight, then business class to Paris. I'm not positive they'd include that benefit in your upgrade, or just upgrade you from DFW to CDG.

Call the AA FF line, 1-800-882-8880 and make sure that they have upgrade seats available for your flights. (I'm assuming you already purchased your coach tickets?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

Flirting with the ticket agent has worked for me in the past.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Neopolitan

I think the days of flirting getting you anywhere on an international AA flight are pretty well gone. Usually in addition to all the people who purchased upgraded tickets there is a line of their top level FF's waiting for possible upgrades as well who will certainly come first.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM

Neopolitan has given you the correct information. And when we've done it , they have upgraded all segments of the flight. One nice thing about AA is that you do not have to purchase a full fare coach ticket to upgrade.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM

You may be right, but it happened to me less than six months ago.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM

And what did your wife have to say about your new boyfriend, Degas?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM

Intrepid1, she was too busy hitting on the gal next to him to notice - we employ a tag-team approach.

Seriously, it does not hurt to try and sometimes you get lucky. Showing up and taking the field is half the battle of winning.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Neopolitan

degas, seriously, that was on an international flight and they upgraded both of you from coach to Business just for flirting? What airline was this, may I ask.
And don't tell me Hooter's, I know they don't do international.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM

It was on airline in bad financial shape and the name starts with the letter U. I was the only one who got upgraded - got chewed out big time when we landed!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM

Back tgo the OP because the flirting part does not even warrant a discussion.

AA "true" international upgrades? (meaning, Europe, Asia and South America)

25K miles plus $250 per person each way. Up to 3 segments. C inventory has to be available. If you <b>request</b> the upgrade within 21 days of the flight and it clears there is also an exedite fee unless you have top, Executive Platinum status with AA. I believe but I'm not sure the fee is either $50 or $75 per. If you request the upgrade before the 21 days and even if it doesn't clear until the flight day, no expedite fee.

The nice thing about the Paris-Dallas flight is that it's a 2 class 767. The seats are very similar to the business class on a 777, but the service and food are a notch above the business class on a 3 class 777. It almost equals the first class service and food on a 777. So if you do get upgraded then you are basically in the front cabin on that route as there is no first class. The Dallas-San Diago will be in domestic first (if you clear for that segment) and it's nothing special. Bigger seats, free drinks, and depending on the time of the day, food will be served. Also, another very nice perk of flying in business or first whether upgraded or purchased is the fact that you will be able to use the lounges in Paris and again in Dallas and during your return, San Diago and again in Dallas. Nice enough clubs with showers, free booze in Paris, paid bar in Dallas and San Diago. Big comfy couches and seats, internet, etc.etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

So, AAFF, I guess that I should call AA and see if this class if available? Think I will do this right now...Thanks all.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, I did call AA and it isn't available on any of the flights. But she said I could leave a credit card and if it opens up we could be upgraded. So, we thought about it. And decided that we would rather spend the $500 in Paris and not on the flight over.

We did book a Westin upon arrival on Priceline for a good price, so we feel like we can wait for our heavenly bed for getting some real shut eye.

Thanks all, for the information.