Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5th, 6th, or 7th in Paris: What am I really missing by staying in the 5th or 6th arr.?

5th, 6th, or 7th in Paris: What am I really missing by staying in the 5th or 6th arr.?

Nov 3rd, 1998, 05:09 AM
Monica

I have recevied much advise on hotels in the 5th and 6th arr. in Paris and REALLY appreciate it! But as I read the messages at this site, many people recommend the 7th near Rue Cler. If I stay in the 5th or 6th, what am I really missing by not staying in the 7th; and vice versa! Would appreciate comments.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 05:20 AM
s.fowler

Well each arrondissement has it's own "flavor". The 5e has the Sorbonne and a large student population, the 6e is flossier, the 7e a little more like "normal" Paris. My sense is that the hotels in the 7th at the low end give better value for the $. I've stayed in the 5e & 6e. This time we're trying the 7th, mostly because of recommendations on this board for hotels that fell within our price range for this trip.
Each has its charms. If I could afford Hotel Montalembert *shrug* well I'd be there [I stayed there in the 70's long before its recent renovation into a luxury property.]
Oh. The revovated department store Le Bon Marche is in the 7e! *grin* It's owned by the same company that owns Louis Vuitton etc.. The food hall is supposed to rival Fauchon on Place de la Madeleine.
In the end you won't go wrong with any of these arronissements as your Paris "neighborhood" to explore.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 05:37 AM
Monica

Hi S.Fowler, When do you plan to go to Paris? Would like to hear from you when you return.

Thanks for responding! I'll keep your comments in mind.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:30 PM
Joanna

I stayed at the Esmeralda in the 5e, a great location with views of Notre Dame. The pluses of this location are obviously the views, closeness of Ile de la Cite, low priced student eateries around the Sorbonne, Cluny Museum close by and, generally, a central location.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:31 PM
Joanna

I stayed at the Esmeralda in the 5e, a great location with views of Notre Dame. The pluses of this location are obviously the views, closeness of Ile de la Cite, low priced student eateries around the Sorbonne, Cluny Museum close by and, generally, a central location.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:47 PM
lynn

I've only been once but I would highly recommend the 5th. We just stayed at the Hotel D'Albe in Sept. for 6 nights. Loved it! $115US for a double with in room bathroom. Very clean.

We felt our location very central. Roughly 1/2 mile from Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Palais de Justice, and Cluny.

And yes, it is a student-oriented area. Also in this area is what is called "Little Athens". Lots of greek lamb gyros and fries, YUM! And a lot better deal than any restaurant we tried.

Happy Traveling!

Nov 4th, 1998, 04:05 AM
Monica

I'm thinking now I may try both locations: the 5th arr. for the first 4 nights, then the 7th when we return from Provence.

Joanna, how much was the Esmeralda?

Yes Lynn, I do remember those Greek restaurants. The one street reminds me of the Plaka in Athens. Very lively.

Thanks!

Nov 4th, 1998, 04:21 AM
s.fowler

We will be in Paris the first week in December! [I *can't* wait!!!] We are staying at the Hotel Muguet in the 7e. We also considered Hotel Champ de Mar [about the same price as the Muguet] and the Hotel Derby Eiffel. [a bit more. It's a Best Western]
We also loved the 5e. There you might also look at Hotel Notre Dame, which might be less than the Esmerelda, which is very popular with the "chic" set. Last time we stayed in the Hotel Jardin de Cluny on rue Sommerard [ps?] which was a Best Western. It was fine. We just wanted a change and to move down a bit in price. For a first trip the 5e is a *great* place to stay. It's near Ile St. Louis and Notre Dame and the Marais. It's a good choice for a first trip if you don't want to be on the right bank. We just decided to try something new! We had eaten in the 7e [at La Fontaine de Mars -- a good bistro [not great], especially nice if it is warm and you can eat outside.] and we liked the neighborhood.
Whatever you decide you'll *love* Paris!

Nov 4th, 1998, 04:41 AM
Monica

S. Fowler,

Actually this will be my 2nd trip (1st was Oct 97). I stayed at Hotel Studia next to the Maubert Metro on St. Germaine. I Love Paris!! Love the 5th also.

I just don't want to miss out on the great places as there is so much to see in Paris!

Have a great December trip!! Write to us when you return. Let us know about your hotel and the restaurants you liked.

Nov 4th, 1998, 05:41 PM
Dee

Monica,
We stayed in the 6th and what we liked about it was all the wonderful restaurants and shopping that were all around our hotel (although we did not like our hotel). We had read about the Rue Cler area and the Hotel Champ de Mars in particular so when we went to see the Eiffel Tower, we walked over to check it out. My husband fell in love with the area and was sorry we had not booked at the Hotel Champ de Mars. The Rue Cler has a neighborhood feel to it with flower, fruit, fish and vegetable stands that are wonderful. What we did not like about the 6th is that with all the shops and tall buildings we kept getting lost in our own neighborhood, especially when getting off the metro in a slightly different place. Where we stayed, we were close to the metro and it was a good location for a first visit but our next visit we will try the Rue Cler area. Hope this helps. (By the way, we were not able to see a room at the Hotel Champ de Mars because they were full, but the location was excellent and it is not on a main/busy street like many of the hotels with noisy vehicle noises all night.The lobby looked nice.)
Enjoy.

Nov 5th, 1998, 03:49 AM
Monica

Dee, thanks for the information. May I ask which hotel in the 6th you did not enjoy.

As I mentioned, I think I'll choose two hotels, one in the 7th and one probably in the 5th or 6th. In the 5th there is Hotel Mont Blanc which is in the 5th (on Huchette) where all the Greek restaurants are & close to the Seine and Notre Dame. In the 6th I'm leaning towards Grand Hotel de Balcons. But there are many to choose from, so I'm doing my research!

Thanks!

Nov 6th, 1998, 09:14 AM
Joe

I was in Paris in July and tried to get reservations at the two hotels that were getting the best ratings on this list -- the Champ du Mars and the Grand Ecole in the 5th. The former was full at the time so I stayed at the latter, which has turned out to be my all time favorite Paris hotel (this was my 4th trip). One of the best parts of the Grand Ecole is the location. It's a short walk from the Place de Contrescarpe and the rue Mouffetard, which are simply great places to hang out and enjoy the people and surroundings.

Nov 6th, 1998, 09:40 AM
Nicole

Stayed at the Hotel Champ de Mars twice (Dec 97 and July 98)
Would highly recommend. Very close to Metro (Ecole Militaire) and of course, the Rue Cler.
Excellent bargain. E-mail me directly if you want more info.
Have fun in Paris. It is my favorite!

Nov 6th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Kimberley D. Byrd

Monica,
Just returned from Paris in October 98 and stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons. It was fantastic! The hotel was clean and nice. Our room had a small terrace which overlooked the street, I think right over the front door. The hotel is in a great location, kind of up off of the main drag. We found the hotel w/no problem coming from Gare de Nord, we took the Metro. I would highly recommend it to anyone, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They have a web page as well, which is what really sold us. They do have a buffet breakfast but we didn't partake instead preferring to try the cafes in the vicinity - there are quite a few and the Odeon theater is a stone's throw from the hotel. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Oh, the price was about 450/500 ff. We had a double w/a bath.

Kim

Nov 6th, 1998, 10:58 AM
Monica

Thanks Joe, Nicole, and Kim for your input. I really should take 2-3 months in Paris just to enjoy everyone's hotel recommendations!

Nov 8th, 1998, 11:37 AM
jeanne

Monica

All the suggestions you got are great ones-if I may I would love to throw out another idea-I love the 7th particularly where it touches the 6th at the St Germain des pres area-I am guessing you have seen my favorite posted-the Hotel Saint Thomas d'Aquin on 3 rue du pre-aux clercs. The hotel is simple but it is on a quiet street and a great location. I have lived in the 7th nearer the Eiffel tower and I don't think the access is quite as good via Metro-although bus is great there but can be daunting to the un-intiated if you don't speak French. Another idea is to spend part of your time in Marais down nearer the Place de Vosges-there is a great hotel there called the Jeanne d'Arc-I don't have info-but you can find it at paris.org. The Marais is the new SOHO of Paris-very hip and great shops-little restaurants, etc. Feel free to e-mail me directly-I have spent 20+ years hanging out part-time in Paris-my husband is French so I became a Francophile by default-my mothr-in-lw swears I know places in Paris she doesn't-I guess I am just naturally nosy By the way, the comment about the Bon Marche food section is right-definitely worth a visit if you are in the mood to grab a picnic or even just looking!

Nov 8th, 1998, 03:10 PM
Joanna

Monica, the Esmeralda was US$40.00 per person twin share back in 1994. If you don't mind "old fashioned charm" you'll love this hotel. If you are averse to a bit of dust and antiques that look like they will fall off the wall (and sometimes do) then this hotel is not for you.