50th Birthday in Spain

Search

50th Birthday in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50th Birthday in Spain

On 06 January 2010, a good friend of mine will travel to Barcelona. While he is there, he will be celebrating his 50th birthday. Yesterday while we dined in a Brazilian restaurant in So. CA, he asked me for some suggestions. I was surprised as well as slightly aloof because this is his day; he should have some idea as to what he desires to do to celebrate and to honor this very special occasion. I gave him a few ideas, but I ask you who know this city: if you were celebrating your 50th in BARCELONA-- how would you do it! Let the suggestions flow so that I can relay to him, por favor! Gracias!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM

I did celebrate my 50th in Barcelona. We had been there before and since.

I am not a drinker or party hardy person.

One thing I wamted to do was dance the Sardana on Sunday morning in front of the Se. It rained that morning.

I always visit Sagrada Familia to see how they are pogressing wothout me and of course Parque Guell and his apartment houses.

Be the first in line at Cal Pep. Go to from tapas bar to another. Walk the Barrio Gotic. Vist The Market - Mercat de la Boqueria and eat at the little place in the back.

Find a place that makes churros for breakfast.

And walk the city to see what is new.

Sit atop Montjuic and contemplate the world.

And bring back caganers as gifts. Just google it.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Aduchamp1, I thank you very much for your personal account and suggestions. As far as caganers as gifts-- I don't know! -
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Take my word on caganers, it will either confirm or change your image with your friends.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:06 AM

There are so many great restaurants in Barcelona, many of which are worthy of such a special ocassion. Are you and your friend adventurous eaters? If so, I would recommend a multi-course tasting menu at one of Barcelona's best restaurants such as Cinc Sentis, Moo, Hisop, or Comerc24. If you are not so adventurous and prefer more traditional atmosphere and food, then perhaps a special paella meal would be good for such an ocassion. There are lots of good paella and seafood restaurants in Barcoloneta (and lots of tourist traps too); a good one is Can Ramonet.

Going from one tapas bar to the next can also be a lot of fun and a great way to experience a different way of eating, but I think it partly depends on whether you like to drink or not. Of course you can eat tapas without drinking, but I think if I wasn't drinking I would grow tired of standing in sometimes smokey bars battling crowds to get to the tapas.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Your suggestions are a great help for him indeed. Unfortunately, I will not be joining him on such a momentous occasion, but it is hoped that if all goes well for him and for me in the months ahead, he will be joining me in October 2010 when I hope to be in this wonderful and exciting city. This will be his third and my first+.

Again, many thanks! I shall print this right now and post to him in order for him to receive it before 06 January 2010.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM

hey! I am also celebrating my 50th birthday in Spain. but am going to do it in Madrid. I spent my jr. year in college in Madrid and have very fond memories. so, I could tell you how I'll be celebrating it but that won't help you. but I hope he enjoys it immensely!! I plan to