50th birthday in Paris

Apr 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

50th birthday in Paris

Hi!
It's getting closer to our trip of a lifetime and I was wondering if anyone could help please.
My husband & I are travelling from Australia in July spending 3 weeks in Italy and the last week in Paris. My birthday actually falls 2 days after we get home and we're spending it with family at a rustic but beautiful Italian like estate in country South Australia.
(Kingsbrook at Currency Creek for any South Aussies reading this - it's awesome. Wood oven pizzas, great wine, stunning grounds,lovely old stone walls, 100 year old pear tree etc.)
However, we would like to have a "pretend" 50th in Paris the night before we leave and I was wondering if anyone has a special place and/or experience they would be happy to share. Both John & I like any kind of food; we prefer small restaurants with atmosphere but not so posh that we feel uncomfortable and we are also happy with somewhere either historic or trendy! We are staying in Appartment Blanc in the Marais Oberkampf but are happy to go anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
Apr 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Happy 50th Birthday sissy. I too am turning 50 this year, yikes, and I too am spending it in France, and I too come from Australia!!! There, coincidences over with, I hope you have a great time. If you search for restaurants in Paris (on this site) you should get several ideas which might take your fancy. We ate (last time) at mostly small retaurants one in particular called Le Petit Troquet in the 7th. I found it on this site and thought the food was sensational,very small, run by a husband and wife team. I am not sure though it would be "good enough" for a 50th celebration. (The food certainly would be) If you like souffles, there is a place called Le Souffle in the 1st arr, we had the dessert souffles and they were magnificent as was the rest of the meal. A little more formal than Le Petit Troquet, however there were some people arrive in shorts!! Anyway, do a search and see what comes up. Good luck, there is always Jules Verne up the Eiffel Tower,which I know a lot of people go to for that special occassion.
Schnauzer
Apr 12th, 2007, 02:51 AM
ira

Hi S,

What's your budget?

Apr 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Another great spot for a wondeful birthday celebration is the Cafe L'Homme at the Trocadero which is just across the River from the Eiffel Tower. They have a wonderful dining terrace that looks straight on the Tower and it is magical looking at "her" all evening while dining on fabulous food! The Eiffel "sparkles" every hour on the hour from 8 or 9P for ten minutes. We had a birthday celebration there last summer and the birthday gal was really "wowed" (as well all were).

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

P.S. I can also give a great recommendation for Le P'Tit Troquet. It is a wonderful little Parisian gem and the food is wonderful! You could do that another night as it just doesn't have the "wow" factor that Cafe L'Homme has.
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Shnauzer - what amazing coincidences! 50 sounds so OLD! I don't know about you but I don't think of myself as old at all. In fact I feel like "Let the fun begin"!Kids all left home and finally enough time to travel. Le Petit Troquet sounds wonderful and I will check it out. I hope you too have a wonderful birthday - how could it not be spending it in France!!Where are you going this time?

Ira - our budget is probably about $250 AUD for both of us. Over here that would enable us to have a sensational meal/wine/experience so hopefully it will be enough in Paris.

luvparee- I think you have described just what I'm after! I think I want all my senses to be wowed, not just my taste buds so I think Cafe L'Homme sounds perfect. I will definitely try L'Ptit Croquet as well. Sounds pretty special!
Again,thanks everyone for your help.
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM

sissy I am going to Provence this time to do an immersion course in French. Two weeks of luxury!! 3.5 weeks away by myself. I still have a 16 year old at home, (actually the only one I have!) I need a break before the big year 12 hits us next year.

Sounds like you have found your restaurant, well done. Try the Le P'tit Troquet as well, if they have the Pork with lemon confit on the menu make sure you have it. One of the best meals I have ever had. The restaurant is all no smoking too which I liked.
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

shnauzer, thank you so much and we will definitely try the P'tit Troquet.
I hope you REALLY enjoy your immersion course!! What a fantastic idea.
I've been through all the year 12 stuff (x 3)and it's not that bad.Just important to be around providing food, a taxi service and ignoring the messy room etc! If your 16 year old is studying French you may even be able to help him/her!!
Good luck, happy birthday and have a fabulous time!