Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   50 year old woman alone in Italy - update (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/50-year-old-woman-alone-in-italy-update-640627/)

pambrown2 Aug 20th, 2006 08:44 PM

50 year old woman alone in Italy - update

Hi everyone,
You may recall I posted several months ago to get encouragement about going solo to Italy this fall when my marriage of 26 years ends. At the time I was trying to do a women's only walking tour in Umbria in October. The tour I wanted was full, so I was looking for other alternatives. I got great support and advice from everyone on this board. Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update on my plans.

For various reasons, I decided to travel in September instead of October. It turns out that I found a newly offered women's only walking tour to Umbria in mid-September, so I booked it. It's almost exactly the same as the Country Walkers trip I was originally looking at, and is through a group called The Wayfarers. We start in Spoleto and end in Perugia, stopping in Spello, Montefalco, Assisi and Bevagna on the way. Before joining the tour, I'm spending four nights on my own in Rome, and am also spending an extra night in Perugia at the end. I'm really excited about it.

I have almost all of my arrangements made. I just need to decide whether to splurge for a airport shuttle or whether to take the train and cab to my hotel. I'm also considering guided tours of some of the sites in Rome so that I'm not entirely alone for the whole four days I'm there. I'm staying at the hotel Due Torri in Rome which is reasonably priced for a single room and looks to be in an excellent location.

I had my first taste of solo travel last week when a friend had to cancel out of a planned five day getaway to the Pacific Northwest and I went by myself. Except for being a little lonely the first two nights at dinner and back in my hotel room, it was fine. The next two days I had signed up for group tours (hiking and sea kayaking) and being with people during the day made it fine to be on my own in the evening. Overall I had a great time and now feel encouraged that I can travel anywhere on my own and have fun. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on my Italy plans, and thank you again for all your support and encouragement when I posted before. If anyone has any other advice, I'm open to it.
Pam

Andeesue Aug 20th, 2006 09:11 PM

Pam: Good for you!!! You will feel empowered traveling on your own (as you just experienced last week in the Northwest! You are wise in mixing a varied schedule with group tours and alone time... you will open yourself up to many opportunities!

I suggest you book the airport shuttle for your arrival. When you're familiar with your surroundings and not bogged down with luggage (or jetlag), then you can work on public transportation. Just getting the right change, tickets, etc. can be an ordeal. Very worth the extra euro for peace of mind.

Have a great time!

SeaUrchin Aug 20th, 2006 09:13 PM

Hi again, it is nice to hear that your plans are coming along fine. I am glad you chose Due Torri, I have stayed there a few times and the staff are really helpful and friendly. There are two ways to approach the hotel, one is through the alley which I wouldn't advise at night and the other is from the main street and side street that is in front of the hotel. It is a longer walk from P. Navona area but well lit.
There is someone on duty all night and you just ring for a late entrance. I should have stayed here the last trip I made to Rome when I was solo. There is a nice little breakfast room.

I dont know where you are flying from but it is so so nice to have a driver waiting for you with your name on a sign as you exit FCO. You can just tell him the hotel and then sit back and relax, well, hopefully.

The road in front of the hotel is very narrow and a cab driver might not want to bother and try to let you off at the entrance of the road, so another reason for a driver.

Your walking tour sounds excellent, keep us informed.

Sher Aug 21st, 2006 04:35 AM

Arriving in Rome we took the train and then a taxi.
Departing, we took the shuttle.

I really think you can do both easily, but it is very nice to be taken door to door with luggage.

Good for you on your trip plans. Isn't it nice to only have to please yourself?

ira Aug 21st, 2006 04:38 AM

Hi pam,

Good for you.

>I just need to decide whether to splurge for a airport shuttle or whether to take the train and cab to my hotel.<

Train + cab will be about 18E. The shuttle shouldn't be much more.

((I))

SuzieC Aug 21st, 2006 05:51 AM

I am so glad you did this! I'm proud of my younger "sister"!
I realize that you probably are fit and hale and hearty, but with your luggage and "stuff", wouldn't the shuttle or a taxi simply be easier?

Toupary Aug 21st, 2006 06:46 AM

Pam,

I think what you are doing is wonderful, and I think you will find it's a life-changing experience. The down side of traveling alone is there is no one to discuss things with at dinner. The up side is that people will talk to you who would never have done so were you with someone else. Just be open, and keep us posted. What a wonderful new beginning!

annw Aug 21st, 2006 07:15 AM

Good for you; glad you are proceeding with these terrific plans. I say spring for the shuttle!

MarciaMarciaMarcia Aug 21st, 2006 07:21 AM

What an excellent way to kick of this exciting new chapter in your life. Have a blast and a Limoncello for me and please don't forget a trip report. And pick yourself up a pair of Prada sunglasses at the airport. You deserve to travel in style!!

bat Aug 21st, 2006 07:28 AM

Good for you.

--ditto the advice re being met at the airport for transport.

Look at the Context Rome website for small group tours to take in Rome.
http://rome.contexttravel.com/?sr=1
Sounds lke a great trip.

Christina Aug 21st, 2006 09:40 AM

This sounds great! It's good that you've had a trial run, so to speak, on another trip to reduce anxiety.

Personally, I think you deserve the splurge, so treat yourself, it can't be much, anyway.

SeaUrchin Aug 21st, 2006 09:49 AM

Also try Enjoy Rome van tours, they drive you around and you get out to tour the out of way sights. They pick you up at your hotel and will drop you off anywhere you would like in town, good way to continue sight seeing on your own.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 21st, 2006 10:01 AM

Hi Pam

I was going to give you the alley vs street information for the due Torri but I see that SeaUrchin has already given it to you. You will, I think, be pleased with the hotel. Lots of good places to eat nearby, and great spots for food shopping, too.

Your walking trip sounds great.

I agree that the shuttle will probably be around the same cost as the train and taxi. On our last trip to Rome, the taxi driver charged us a whopping 25 Euros for a trip from Termini to the Piazza Navona area where are hotel was!

maggie_f Aug 21st, 2006 10:04 AM

Hi, Pam,
Along with the others, I vote for the shuttle --- it will make your first hrs. much less stressful, and it is nice to be met outside of customs! I'm meeting a group in Rome in Oct., and arriving 2 days earlier. I have a tour of the Galleria Borghese booked through Context (thanks to all the ideas on this board!). I'm a little nervous, but you and I can do this!!
Have a great trip.

pambrown2 Aug 24th, 2006 11:25 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement. I think I will take a shuttle or limo from the airport. It does sound much easier, especially after a long day flying from San Francisco to Rome via Heathrow. That's all I have left to book, otherwise I'm all set. I have the Vatican Museums tour booked (hopefully) directly through the Vatican, just requested a Colesseum/Ancient Rome tour through Rome Walks, and just ordered Borghese Gallery reservations. I may do one of the Twilight tours too, otherwise I'll just hang out on my own soaking up the atmosphere and other sights, and relaxing before walking 8-10 miles a day in Umbria. I'm one who likes to see as much as possible when I go someplace, so my challenge will be to enjoy time just sitting in a cafe, etc. and not being too harried. Anyway, I'll keep you all updated.
Pam

edhodge Aug 24th, 2006 01:20 PM

No advice from me- just a big, big cheer and hug for you. I am proud of you!

Diane

SB_Travlr Aug 24th, 2006 01:44 PM

Way to go, Pam -- have a wonderful trip.

My newly single daughter went on her first solo trip to Paris this year, and had a great time. There was no-one to please but herself, and if she wanted to sit in front of a painting in the Musee d'Orsay for an hour or more, no-one complained!

We look forward to hearing about your adventures. Buon viaggio!

Betsy Aug 24th, 2006 01:54 PM

Way to go (literally)! Looking forward to your trip report. ((Y))

PS: We loved the Due Torri. They even served chocolate candy on the breakfast buffet!

L84SKY Aug 24th, 2006 04:47 PM

Nothing to add but 3 big and rowdy cheers for you!!!
Thanks for coming back and letting us know how things are going.

dorkforcemom Aug 24th, 2006 05:14 PM

Hip Hip Hooray Pam! I traveled solo to Paris about 15 years ago - it was fantastic. I saw more art than anyone would have wanted to see with me and experienced it fully. I know you'll have a wonderful trip...we'll be with you in spirit!