Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

50 is looming!!! Where best do I meet it?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:11 AM
Amazed!

My 50th birthday is looming on the horizon (end of November). My partner (who can only get a few days vacation) has offered to foot the bill for a 4 day trip for the two of us anywhere in Europe, no expense spared! The four days starts when we meet in London, therefore not too much time will be lost in travel.

My thoughts are turning to the Danieli or Gritti Palace in Venice. Are these hotels grand, distinctive and stylish enough to match the auspicious event of achieving half a century?

Alternatively, does anyone have any better ideas? I'm happy to go anywhere but I do want this to be a special, classy and memorable trip.

Thanks!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:33 AM
Howard

I would suggest Madeira - as it is suppose to be a beautiful island, and in November the average high temp. is 70, much warmer than Venice. As for where to stay, Reid's Palace is suppose to be a great classic hotel.

There are easy flights from London, so getting there is not a problem.

Also, I am starting to plan a vacation there for late November, (though not staying at such a fancy hotel) - maybe we could toast your birthday!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:41 AM

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:58 AM
iloveparis

Fly or take the Eurostar to Paris for four days!! Check in to one of the gorgeous hotels and dine in front of the fireplace in a cozy bistro. The beauty of the city will overwhelm you and you will want to return again and again.Four days in Venice may be too long where as four days in Paris is never enough! Have a fabulous birthday wherever you celebrate!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:26 AM
Oldster

Best place to meet fifty is half-way, then you'll only be twenty five !

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:38 AM
Anne

Head on!
(You're still young.)
But seriously, the places you mentioned sound lovely. Just remember the champagne! As long as you're with your loved one, you'll have a wonderful time.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday when it comes.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:45 AM
paree

Top of the Eiffel Tower on a clear night with lights sparkling and a glass of champagne.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:54 PM
John

Hotel de Paris, Monte Carlo. Enough said.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:10 PM
StCirq

My own 50th looms in late November, and here's my plan: 4 days at La Maison Arabe in Marrakech, taking cooking lessons and being beaten silly by young Arab boys at the hammam (ok, bring on the lurid comments). Then off to our house in the Perigord for a couple of days, train to Paris for one night for a party with my Parisian friends, then home again to celebrate with my immediate family.Could you beat it? Turning 50 demands some serious travel, IMHO.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:56 PM
John H

Hi, Amazed,

Seven of us celebrated my cousin's 50th birthday in Venice 2 years ago -- it couldn't have been better. There is nothing like listening to the small orchestras in Piazza San Marco on a nice evening. That said, the end of November makes that a bit more difficult of a destination. And, since much of the transport in Venice is by foot or water, it could be a bit cold.

Why not stay in London/England? Christmas decorations will be appearing and it will be magical. Find a stately manor to stay in outside of London for a couple of nights and stay in London for a couple of nights. I think Paris is also an excellent option.

Enjoy!

John H.

P.S. We enjoyed my cousin's 50th birthday trip to Italy so much that we now have an annual group excursion to Europe! Be forewarned -- it could be contagious!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 02:21 PM
sss

Amazed, you don't meet it all slipping into deep deep denial has always worked for me. If you must meet it I am not sure I wouldn't pick a smaller and less tourist city in Italy. If I were going to face my birthday like a true soldier I would consider lake Coumo (sp) a short train ride north of Milan. This area is marked by steep hills against a lake surrounded by a very idealic Italian town.

I think for a four day trip I would not risk a connecting flight issue. Not sure where you are coming from but Newark has direct flights on Alitalia (ugh Alitalia but when you are stuck you are stuck). You just reminded me that my own birthday is in November, dam you!!!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 02:25 PM
sss

Amazed see you are coming from London well my dear Europe is yours. I would go online and check out picture of Lake Cuomo. I still think picking a smaller are will allow you to absorb the culture much quicker. Happy ______ I can't say it, sorry.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 02:48 PM
JOdy

As much as I love Venice , especially in the winter and as much as I love London ( in fact all of UK) --
I would have to opt for Paris, everyone feels younger when they are there! If expense is no problem, Hotel Meurice!!!!!

Another funny thought , Do all the people that spell Lake COMO , " CUOMO" live in New York?????????????

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Pam

Ditto Jody's advice. I love Venice beyond any other city, but for a 50th birthday in late November I would go to Paris. You would probably find Venice rainy and grey, and possibly with water all over the streets (the acqua alto). I was in Paris that time of year and trees still had blazing yellow leaves, more like fall. There is much to do, great food and wine, lovely shopping, and amazing walks. Happy birthday!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Diane

I turned 50 in Paris. Extraordinaire!
My last couple of birthdays have been much easier, I think, because of that. (As a matter of fact, we forgot my last one...we were having a ball all over Italy. I think we were actually in Amalfi that day...) No expense? George V maybe? It is really cool being a grownup. Congratulations and "Rock on!"

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Shelby

Large cities like Paris are fine if you can tolerate the noise, pollution, crowds and traffic. You only have four days do you really want to be swallowed up by a large city? If you rarely go to Paris than this may be your choice but I think there are better alternatives. Why not consider Sienna, Italy. How late are you going to Italy? I was in Milan in late November 00 and there was skiing in the Dolomites. I donít think you can ever make too many trips to Italy.

Another thought, northern Italy is warmer than Paris in November. You may very well catch rain but it wonít be freezing rain and that really is the alternative up north. I have been to Venice in the rain and on gray days, it rids the place of tourist, a nice bonus. Have fun planning and deciding!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Shelby

That would be Siena, Italy. Don't want to be snagged by the "J0dy" patrol.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:04 PM
JOdy

HI Shelby...Even my NY husband spells it CUOMO!!( as in former Gov. Mario).. I never criticize anybodys spelling, look how I type!!!! '>) gt;)

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:13 PM
ljcjbj

How about the Villa Masa in Florence?

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Bob

I vote for Paris for you. Will be hard to beat.

For me personally it was Germany. I have great memories of the time my wife and I spent there in the Army. I told her that on #50 I just wanted to be in Germany, in Bavaria, drinking a beer. I made it and it was great. It is all in what will mean the most to you. Different strokes for different folks.

Just pick a spot and go for it. Probably Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO