Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   50 days and $10,000 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/50-days-and-10-000-a-256278/)

melissa Sep 6th, 2002 06:27 AM

50 days and $10,000

Where would you go for a vacation if you had 50 days and $10,000 to spend. I am trying to brainstorm some ideas, and I thought that it would be helpful to hear about what you all would do.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Melissa

diane Sep 6th, 2002 06:36 AM

I think I would pick someplace where I want to learn the language, as well as tour the country, and rent a house for a good portion of the time, and a car. Italy or France would be wonderful -- I'd probably look for language programs, maybe cooking classes, and be sure to find somewhere to live where I'd be immersed in the local goings on, so as to improve language fluency.

ced Sep 6th, 2002 06:38 AM

Hi Melissa,<BR><BR>To be honest with you, if i had all that money i would come and meet up with you and then take you on a world trip !! Does it sound nice to you ??<BR>P.s. Do u think u could wait say 2 years ??<BR>Ciao :))

CF Sep 6th, 2002 06:46 AM

I would add a little money to it and take a 50 day cruise. No packing every few days. Wake up in a new city every few days. No dealing with bad hotel rooms or worrying so much about safety issues.<BR> Actually my next cruise is about $8,000. but it is for only 21 days to Antarctica.<BR> Happy dreaming!!

Caroline Sep 6th, 2002 06:48 AM

Unless I am extremely jaded, I think it would be difficult to vacation for 50 days for $10K. We just returned from a two week trip to Hawaii that cost $10K!

uhoh Sep 6th, 2002 07:54 AM

Actually, it is easy to stretch the money when you have the time. Staying somewhere longer than a week usually lets you negotiate lower per-night lodging prices, and lets you cook your own meals once in a while at a lower cost than eating out. (Food is less expensive in Europe than Hawaii, whether eating in or out.) Leasing a car for more than a month is cheaper than renting one on a per-week basis. <BR>Your money might go even further in Eastern Europe.

You are Sep 6th, 2002 07:56 AM

I went to Hawaii for a week last year, and didn't spend anywhere NEAR $5,000! And we stayed at a nice hotel!

Grasshopper Sep 6th, 2002 08:15 AM

My daughter spent 3 months in Paris through a community college program for considerablly less than that (and got college credit). You might want to check in to something like that. They are available for most European countries.

melissa Sep 6th, 2002 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies so far...you definitely have me thinking!<BR><BR>I am very interested in languages, and I would love to do an immersion program, but my husband will be with me & he isn't interested in that. Oh well.<BR>I like the idea of renting a house somewhere & being able to explore with a car though. Maybe Provence:)<BR><BR>I have thought about adding a cruise to the itinerary, but I think that it would cost too much $. I have also looked into the river cruises. <BR><BR> By the way, we will be using FF miles for the airfare, and we will be going next June - August.<BR><BR>And, I definitely think that I can strech $10,000 pretty far. We can spend less than $200 per day on average in Europe, I'm sure.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Melissa

Caroline Sep 6th, 2002 08:56 AM

Hawaii is a very expensive place to visit. I don't see how it can be done for much less than $4000-5000 a week. Airfare for two from the East Coast is $1500. All the nice hotels are at least $250 a night. Food is extremely expensive, breakfast was included in our package and we still spent $150-200 a day on food. (Dinner and wine in most nice resturants was about $100-150). Plus car rental, plus inter-island flights (we visited 3 islands in 2 weeks). Plus the excursions (snorkel trips, helicopter rides, bike tours) were about $100 a person.