Hi there folks,
My girlfriend and I are in the early stages of planning a roughly 5-week trip across Europe for the upcoming spring. We've done a decent chunk of research on Fodor's and elsewhere and seem to have come up with what a basic sort of roadmap for what we would like to do and see.
A little about us first; we're both in our early 20's (although we probably have more in common with a pair of 70 year olds), we're not much into the partying or club scene, would much rather have a quiet evening in a nice pub or cafe than spend the night out at a club. We're very much into exploring the culture, architecture, and natural beauty of a city and tend to shy away from the more typical "touristy" type attractions. Although we enjoy learning the history of our destinations, that's usually not the main focus of our trips. Museums and the like usually stay off our short-list; walking the streets and talking to the locals is usually what we find ourselves doing instead.
One of the reasons for this trip (although not the only) is that my girlfriend and I are planning to take our graduate studies overseas in a years time, we'd like to scout out some viable options before we make a commitment to a school in a place we've never been. This means not only do we have to plan for nice vacation cities, we're also planning on places that we may call home for a few years.
Obviously the caliber of the Universities will be a strong consideration when choosing where we'll eventually end up for school, but for the sake of this thread, I'd like to leave that out and focus on the cities and this trip itself.
Anyways, here's the (tentative) itinerary:
Flying out of either Vancouver or Calgary (either city can be easily accomplished)
Arrive in London (Should be sometime in late April)
~1 week in London area
Train to Paris (~2.5 hours)
~1 week in Paris
Train to Amsterdam (~3.5 hour)
~1 week in Amsterdam
Train to Berlin (~6 hours)
~1 week in Berlin
Train to Copenhagen (~7 hours)
~1 week in Copenhagen
Fly back home to Canada (Late May or early June)
Beyond this, there will probably 1 or 2 yet to be determined day trips from each city.
So now I ask for advice from you Fodorites, are there are any glaring errors or innefficienies with this plan? Are there other cities or places we must see or should consider along this general route? Should we stay longer in some cities, shorter in others? We're very flexible in regards to both time and money so please feel free suggest at will. We've both spent some time in Europe before but never tried to cover this amount of ground, really any amount of advice or suggestions you can offer will be very much appreciated.
I know I wrote a bit of novel here so I'd really like to thank anyone who takes the time to read through this thread and reply.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 SAFARI BROWSER 1~800~681:7208 installations Contact SAFARI Tec*h care
- 2 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 3 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 4 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 5 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 6 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 7 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 8 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 9 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 9 day trip to France
- 12 Paris November 2017
- 13 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 14 2 week May trip with kids
- 15 Arezzo - how much time?
- 16 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 17 Which Aran Island??
- 18 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 19 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 20 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 21 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 22 Easter Week in Italy
- 23 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 24 Airport Transfer
- 25 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
Hi there folks,