COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 weeks in London as International Student

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Connie

My daughter is going to London July 4, 2002 for 5 weeks in an international student program. She is studying British Literature.

Anyone who has been an int. student and could give us tips to make the trip smooth and fun, please do.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
CJ

I don't know how old your daughter is, but 5 weeks is too short! Maybe she can spend a year abroad during her junior year in college?

That's what I did -- greatest year of my life -- and since my grades didn't matter back home, I just made sure that I crammed enough that I could get my Sorbonne diploma. The rest of the time, I was soaking up the culture, which is the most important part.

Tell your daughter to be flexible, and adapt to their way of life. No trips to Mc Donalds, and maybe she will develop a taste for tea! If she is interested in British lit., then maybe she can take daytrips to Stratford on Avon, or to see Thomas Hardy's home. She could spend weeks in just the British Museum, which is amazing. Hopefully the entire experience will open her eyes to the world outside of her home town. That's more important than getting good grades on this trip.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Paris

My stepdaughter is spending 5 weeks in London. Leaving 6/26/02 for international student program!! We are planning on spending some time there then bring her to Paris.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:22 PM
pj

ttt

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Connie

pj

What program is she studying?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Mark

I bet the university and other students will have plenty of worthwhile ideas for her to consider. Suggest she talk with some of her fellow students who have been on the program.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:30 AM
pj

Connie this is my email address if you want to correspond. She is studying nursing. She ia going with a fellow student.
Well I will keep an eye on this post for my stepdaughter. PJ

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:43 AM
connie

She doesn't know anyone who has ever been on this kind of trip. That's why I am posting here for tips.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Violet

If she is going with Accent International, she will have a wonderful time. I went with them to study in Paris in 2000 and they did a wonderful job. Saw lots of interesting things and they give tutorial help.