Search

True Distance from Bodiam to Battle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Distance from Bodiam to Battle

Hi again,

So google maps says it only takes 17 minutes driving time from Bodiam Castle to the 1066 Battlefield site and museum. Is that a true estimation? I read somewhere else that the driving time is really closer to an hour due to the narrow roads. How much time does it really take on average?

I have the same question with the distance from Sissinghurst to Rye. What is the true driving time estimation?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Apologies for not answering the question directly. But I wonder, are you planning yourself so tightly that 43 minutes will make a difference in your day? This may be the question rather than the actual travel time which can vary according to route and time of day.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:20 AM

When I have planned UK travel with a car, I looked at Googlemaps and then DOUBLED the time. That was a good plan. It averaged out to taking at least 1.5 times as long as Google Maps say. So driving time would probably be much closer to 30 minutes. But on the day we arrived, it took at least another 30 to find a parking spot and walk to the Abbey. So I'd suggest you double driving times suggested, don't plan anything too closely, and be glad if you arrive early and not too stressed out or miss anything if arrive a bit late. Bodiam, Rye, and Battle made a wonderful full day for us (we left Dover early and ended up in an LHR-area hotel about dinner time--in summer with lots of light and lots of traffic! And we didn't spend long at all, less than an hour, in Rye, but spent several hours at both Bodiam and Battle.)
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are trying to group things together for a day plan but we don't want to group too much if it is not feasible due to actual driving times/distances etc. It helps to know ahead of time if near the end of the day, the next thing on our list is doable and only 15 minutes away or we should skip it because realistically it takes more than an hour and by the time we get there it will be closed or near closing time.

We are thinking of either Rye, Bodiam and Battle or Rye, Bodiam and Sissinghurst and not sure which grouping involves the least amount of driving times to allow for more time at each place.

Texasbookworm--Thanks on the estimates. Did you watch the film and do an audio tour at Battle? If you had more time, do you think there was enough for a half day at Rye? I know you were rushed for time that day and only had an hour.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
where are you going to start from and end up at, 'novice?

and are you intending to look at Battle and Bodiam Castle?

do you like gardens? [the main reason for going to Sissinghurst]

The actual driving probably won't take that long but the parking, getting tickets, etc etc are the things that take the time.

if you ended up at Rye you could take as long as you like, it's a place for wandering round, taking in the atmosphere, having a drink in a pub, so it doesn't matter what time you get there.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Annhig,

We would be starting from either Tonbridge or Royal Tunbridge Wells. We were thinking of going to Rye first since there are no particular opening times (Sissinghurst opens at 11 and Bodiam 10:30) and stay through lunch. Then we want to move on to Bodiam for a couple of hours.

Not sure if Sissinghurst would be a good idea for that day (not enough time to see it by the time we got there from Bodiam) or if Battle is better to pair with Bodiam and Rye.

Would want to allow ample time to see the sites and not rush but still want to pack as much in as we can each day if that makes any sense.

If Rye, Bodiam Castle and Battle are doable then maybe Sissinghurst can be left for another day to be paired with something else like Ightham Mote and Scotney Castle.

Has anyone been to the Rye Harbour Nature Reserve? How about the Rye Heritage Center?
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:38 AM

hi e'novice,

if you have more than one day in the area, then I agree that there is no reason to try to cram it all in. However, my preference would still be to go to Rye last - as you say there are no set opening times and you could spend as much time as you like without feeling rushed.

Why not go to Battle first ? the Abbey website says that it opens at 10, so if you were staying in Tunbridge Wells [no need to bother with the Royal bit, no-one local does] which would definitely be my preference as Tonbridge is a bit of a dump], you could get their easily for opening time and have a nice leisurely breakfast.

then back to Bodiam, and finally Rye.

I have walked down to Rye Harbour [i don't remember the nature reserve being much but it was quite a long time ago] - if I remember rightly you can walk past Derek Jarman's garden which may be of interest. http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/de...tage_dungeness

I don't know how keen a gardener you are, but Christopher Lloyd's garden at nearby Great Dixter is most interesting - he was [and though he died a few years ago] and still is very influential - and it is a most lovely place. it is at Northiam, right next to Bodiam:

http://www.greatdixter.co.uk/

you can now go round the house, which is something new since we were last there.

personally i would do that, and leave Sissinghurst to another day. Cranbrook, Rolvenden, Goudhurst, Benenden and Tenterden are all nice places to explore in that area, as well as Scotney. Igtham Mote i could take or leave - the best bit is its position, IMO.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 07:23 AM

EN--I don't remember if we watched a film at Battle; we did take the audio guides and walked around with them.

I think there must be plenty for at least a half day in Rye, but with our preferences we chose to split most of our day between Bodiam and Battle. If you could do as annhig says, that sounds like a fine plan. I know there are things to go "into" with opening/closing hours in Rye, but for me I'd prefer to see the things we did in Bodiam and Battle. Rye would be much more appealing to just walk around in, than the other two towns/villages. Bodiam Castle and the Abbey and Battle site were wonderful, but we didn't spend any time in their adjacent town/village.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:07 AM

I know these things are all subjective but I must say here that I think Igtham Mote is a beautiful place, one of very few like it in the country. How many places are there as well preserved over so many centuries, "the most complete small medieval manor house in the country" (Wikipedia). If you'll be close to it I'd urge you to visit.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ightham-mote/
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM

I've been longing to say it, the "True Distance from Bodiam to Battle" is about 300 years.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM

MmeP - I'm more of a gardens person, as you may have gathered.

We used to live near Igtham Mote and i never felt a desire to go there again after the first time, whereas we went to Chartwell [for the gardens] Great Dixter and other similar places countless times.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Ightham Mote recently underwent a $10M pound refurbishment uncovering some of the layers of walls over the centuries and opening up more bits to the public from what I read. We are looking forward to visiting Ightham and maybe that can be paired on the same day we visit Sissinghurst. I know Knole is near Ightham but I don't think time wise we can do all three--Knole, Ightham and Sissinghurst since all three first open at 11AM and close at 17:00 or 17:30. Knole is in the process of rennovation that will continue on for another few years.

There are so many interesting things in the immediate area of Bodiam and Rye--Great Dixter, Battle, Bateman's, Scotney. All different. I wish we had weeks to explore the area and then we can take our time visiting them all. But I am trying to group the ones we are most interested in and seeing if the groupings are really practical.

I like the Battle, Bodiam, Rye grouping while saving Sissinghurst for another day. Sissinghurst, Scotney and Ightham or just Sissinghurst and Ightham.

We do like gardens too--so I can keep in mind Bodiam, Great Dixter, and Rye and see if Battle fits in another day too. I will run out of days faster than I will run out of things we want to see. Chartwell and Hever are also on my list.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Annhig, I'm a gardens person, too, photograph them with a medium format Rollei (if you know cameras at all) in classic black & white. I also love Great Dixter, house and garden. Who knows what draws us to particular places more than to others? But the Great Dixter garden had the good fortune of the Lloyds and Lutyens, didn't it, so hard to beat in that regard.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

We love gardens too so MmePerdu and Annhig are making our decisions harder for us

Rye, Great Dixter and Bodiam would make a good paring too but then where or when to fit in Battle?

"I've been longing to say it, the "True Distance from Bodiam to Battle" is about 300 years".---That's what makes the UK so interesting of a place to visit.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Knole is in the process of rennovation that will continue on for another few years.>>

we only went there once as well - very dark as i remember. Chartwell and Hever were much more to our taste. interesting to read that Igtham has been renovated; it might be worth another visit!

E/novice, I hate to add to your difficulties in making decisions about where to go, but another place to consider is Penshurst - an elizabethan manor house near T/wells. Also near Hever is the rather eclectic Chiddingstone Castle - if you venture into the village it may well seem familiar as they often use it for period filming, due to the lack of pylons, electricity wires etc. It also has a proliferation of oast houses which are very picturesque. [but a bugger to find furniture for, as friends of ours could testify].

<<"I've been longing to say it, the "True Distance from Bodiam to Battle" is about 300 years".>> - thanks for making me smile at that.

<<Rye, Great Dixter and Bodiam would make a good paring too but then where or when to fit in Battle?>>

how many days in the area do you actually have?
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Bear in mind that in Battle all you are basically doing is spending 15 minutes in the museum watching the video, then wandering round outside with an audio guide, avoiding muddy puddles and school kids, trying to conjure up pictures in your head of the opposing armies occupying either side of the valley. And even the supposed location of the Battle is debateable. That's not to say it's not an important site in English history, but there's really not a lot to see. Once was enough for me, whereas I go back to Ightham, Sissinghurst, Chartwell and Penshurst time and again.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 10:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have so very many fabulous options -- I personally would skip Battle and probably Knole as well. Battle played a huge role in history -- but the actual site is meh . . . IMO.

One day I managed Sissinghurst, Scotney Castle and Bodiam (and Bayham Abbey for a fairly short look-see).

Rye and Great Dixter a good day's worth.

Igtham Mote and Chartwell (plus Penshurst) could be another day.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

True--for Battle you have to use your imagination along with the audio guides to get a full appreciation for the place. Maybe this might be a "skip" for our next visit which is a long way off by the way--I am just trying to do my homework.

We haven't finalized how many days we will have to work with yet. We are still working on that part too.

One of those days is arrival day and will have to get the car from Heathrow etc. Also would like to visit Wisley which is not far from Heathrow. If we have energy we can combine Wisley with something en route to Tunbridge Wells? Maybe Hever? I keep adding and adding but there is only so much time in a day. Too many of them are on my "A" list and not enough for the "B" list.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM

ok - Heathrow to T/wells via Wisley?

assuming you arrive in the morning, about breakfast time, you'll have picked up the car by 9am ish, and it's only 30 mins or so to Wisley where you could easily spend the rest of the morning.

The google maps route goes round the M25 to the A26 junction, then takes the A26 to T/wells. However, if you come off the M25 at Godstone, you can drive through Oxted to the charming village of Westerham, where you can enjoy the sight of the statue of General Wolfe and his home, Quebec House. Also, Chartwell is very close so if you're looking for somewhere to visit en route, this might be the best one. Then pick up the A26 again at Sevenoaks. The A25 used to be a terrible road before the opening of the M25 along that stretch, but it's a very pleasant drive now though some pretty villages like Westerham and Brasted.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Okay--but the only thing about that is Chartwell operates on a timed ticket and by the time we get there late afternoon I am afraid they might not have tickets available for the tour of the house?

From google maps--hard to really judge--it looks like Hever is not too far and since that doesn't operate on a timed ticket basis might be more doable for that day?

Would it be easier to combine Wisley with Ightham instead and then go over to Tunbridge Wells from there? Or would Hever be an okay route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -