5* Venice Hotels:Luna Baglioni.Gritti Palace,Bauer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has someone stayed recently in any of these hotels?Any comments about size of the rooms and suites,cleanliness,air condition(silent),noise from outside,easy acess,walking distance to San Marco...I read some bad reviews in trip advisor about the Gritti Palace.
Thank you
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM

If possible, I think the Danieli or Westin Regina have better locations,view than Gritti if you are trying to stay within the Starwood Family. Hotel Bauer is not that far from the Westin and is not on the Grand Canal.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM

My husband and I just got back from a stay at the Westin Europa and Regina. I'd heard mixed things about the hotel, but our room in the Europa section was very clean and comfortable. We were surprised at how large it was, but that may have been luck of the draw. We were on the sixth floor at the end of a hallway, and it was very quiet. The location was tucked away but very close to San Marco.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

For what it is worth (and maybe not much as you may prefer to spend 10-15 times as much for a room) we stayed at Best Western Hotel Ala on the same square as the Gritti in November for 110 Euros a night, which included a superb breakfast, friendly staff, and a very nice room. We visited the Gritti Palace and found to be only a bit nicer inside, with snootier staff, somewhat dated rooms, and in no possible way worth many hundreds of Euros more than we paid.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM

Our favorite part of the Westin and the prime reason we chose to stay there was the bar area right on the canal. We sat there each evening and watched the sun set over Santa Maria, had a wedding party arrive via water taxi, etc. Our first trip we stayed on the Lido and discovered this patio area when catching the shuttle back to Lido one evening. Our room at the Westin was also large - sitting area with french doors to the bedroom. Lovely lovely...now you have me pining away for another trip soon!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM

I assume you've read the reviews of the Baglioni on TA and I would have to agree with them completely. I liked it a lot better than the Europa and Regina, especially the staff which i thought was friendlier but I happen to have liked all the Baglioni properties I've stayed in so perhaps I'm not very objective.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM

We stayed at the Luna Baglioni and loved it. The rooms were large and the bathrooms wonderful. Service was spot on and the staff could not have been more helpful. The location so close to St. Marks was a plus and the area around the hotel was great to walk around day and night. Try it, you will love it there.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM

Have never stayed at the Baglioni in Venice.... but we had an unforgettable stay at the Baglioni in Bologna.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi,friends.It's a celebration,that's why I'm looking for something special.
My top is 500 EUR for a suite including breakfast,service and taxes.Luna Baglioni is 484 EUR,Gritti is 470 EUR and Bauer is 484 EUR.I'm considering size of the room,big and comfortable bed(good matress),silent air condition,quiet,location near San Marco,noise from outside(that's why I'm not considering canal view rooms),service twice a day.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM

I think you have to decipher the hotel lingo.

The rate you quote for the Gritti Palace, for example, is for something they call a "deluxe room" - and only available on certain days. But "deluxe room" is their lowest category. It is *not* a suite, and it's the smallest (and possibly dingiest) of their rooms.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:36 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Bauer Il Palazzo in Venice a few years ago in early Sept. Its a small luxury hotel(75 rooms) facing the Grand Canal. Our suite had amazing views of the Canal and was furnished with venetian style furniture,both room and bathroom were very clean and spacious. Another great plus about the Il Bauer Palazzo is that it has its own dock. The hotel restuarant De Pasis is a great place to dine and look out over the Grand Canal. The hotel is very pricey but I must say was worth every penny. One warning, men be careful as the Prada store is within arms reach of the hotel. Don't get confused as the Bauer Hotel and the Bauer Il Palazzo are two
different hotels.
Conde Nast has the Il Bauer Palazzo ranked number 1 in Venice in its Gold List of 2008.
http://www.ilpalazzovenezia.com/
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM

"I'm considering size of the room,big and comfortable bed(good matress),silent air condition,quiet,location near San Marco,noise from outside(that's why I'm not considering canal view rooms),service twice a day." Well the Hotel Ala meets all those needs except for perhaps the twice a day service and it sure won't cost you 500 euros.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My daughter and I stayed at the Bauer Il Palazzo last May. Our room was a decent size with a king-sized bed. We did not have a canal view. The room was quiet and clean. I was underwhelmed by the brown decor. The bathroom was small but I remember it being very pretty with many amenities. The location seemed very central to most things we wanted to do.

We very much enjoyed the casual terrace restaurant - and the views on the grand canal. We had a drink or sandwich there a few times when tired and not up for heading into the crowds. In fact, this terrace area was our favorite part of our stay there. The waiter and bartender took very good care of us, and in the evening there was live music.

We skipped the formal restaurant as my daughter is not into gourmet food and the prices there did not make sense for someone with a small appetite. Very, very expensive.

I did not care for the lobby or piano bar that are part of the Bauer Hotel - big, cold and glitzy - which is in the front of this building. The concierge there was most unhelpful at times and sent us to a pretty lousy but expensive restaurant our first night so we never used them again. Really, we should have used the Il Palazzo concierge but it was so confusing with elevators and entrances that we usually entered through the other side where the large concierge desk was. (You have to be there to understand what I mean.) We later met a nice well-traveled couple with the exact same concierge restaurant experience and similar feelings about the Il Palazzo - underwhelmed.

We didn't even realize there were 2 different hotels until the second day. They are actually all part of the same enterprise although there is some distinction between the two parts Bauer vs. Bauer Il Palazzo - I couldn't quite figure it all out.

Overall, for the price, I was underwhelmed with the Il Palazzo. Well, it was very expensive and I think you expect more when you pay more. It was not my first choice hotel, which was booked, so that's how we ended up there. I cannot compare it to other Venice hotels as it was my first time there. I found Venice expensive compared to value and service overall.

Although the Bauer is on the Grand Canal, I don't think noise would be an issue...

Well, Venice itself is pretty amazing so the Bauer Il Palazzo didn't detract from our experience, but I can't say I'd rush back for that price. I hear it is "the" place to stay in Venice. I'd probably still try somewhere else.

There is another very expensive hotel off on it's own little Island - perhaps this is Gritti Palace? - it has it's own private boat to deliver you there. I had decided against staying at this hotel because I was with a teenager and thought she'd want closer proximity to San Marco etc in the evenings. We did go to there one day for lunch and had reserved in advance and had dressed nicely for lunch. We were treated rather poorly at first, until I complained, and then a charming young man was all over us with service the rest of the lunch. Did I mention I have an attractive 17-year-old daughter? Anyway, the lunch was very nice but there are clearly people here who are repeats and regulars who get preferred seating and treatment. It was a bit of a "scene" at the pool which is where lunch is served. The common areas were pretty, if a bit stodgy. I didn't see a room. I would say that it was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of San Marco and on this pretty property for a bit of quiet.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

gruezi
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM

This doesn't actually answer your specific question, but if you'd like another choice, the Foscari Palace is lovely. I spent 6 nights here in 2005 and I'm happy to see the tripadvisor reviews still give perfect 5's! Here's a link:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?re...lace&geo=4
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM

< there is another hotel off on its own little island >

Think you're thinking of the Cipriani - which is in a class by itself IMO.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dfr,

Thanks - you are right - that's where we had lunch not the Gritti Palace...but at Cipriani's.

Doesn't Gritti Palace sound a bit, well, gritty? Hee, hee...

g.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM

The Hotel Cipriani is not nearly as nice as it used to be. Having stayed there years ago when it was the best place to stay in Venice, it has slipped in recent years. The reason my wife and I didn't stay there a few years back was due to the negative feed back we had from regulars at the Hotel Cipriani. These are regulars who are used to the best.
If your going to stay at any of the nice hotels on the Grand Hotel, its best to get a room with a canal view. I couldn't imagine not having that amazing canal view when we stayed at the Bauer Il Palazzo. It would be like going to NYC and staying at the Mandarin or Ritz Central Park and not having a view of central park. For me the view of the Grand Hotel or other water views is well worth the money whether your at the Gritti Palace, Londra Palace or Bauer Il Palazzo.
http://www.concierge.com/bestof/gold...italy/1venice/
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM

It has been a few years, so sorry to hear the Ciprani isn't what it used to be. Some things do change...