5 Star Hotel and American Appetites

Jan 31st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

5 Star Hotel and American Appetites

I have reserved two rooms for myself and my family for a vacation in March to the Bentley hotel. What do you know or what have you heard about this hotel.
Also, what are some good places for Americans to eat? We are from the south and things like rabbit, lamb and fois gras do not sound appealing. However we are willing to try new things.
Thanks.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM

I strongly suspect you can get chicken, although it might not be fried to your liking.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM

Where are you going?
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:11 AM

What's your budget? Will you eat Italian cuisine? Lots of good Italian restaurants in London.
Anyway, you might also like the Wolseley (www.thewolseley.com). They serve pretty good crab cakes (a Southerner should like those!), roast chicken, risotto (a generalization on my part but I would think Southerners would like a good rice dish) and some "plain" dishes.

Tell us what your family likes and how much you are willing to spend and you'll get more helpful suggestions.
Also...when you say you'd like to try new things, what would be new for you? Dim sum? Sushi? Indian cooking?
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM

Sugest you check tripadvisor.com for comments. Have never heard of this hotel and it is a small place in a somewhat out of the way neighborhood. (I usually expect 5 stars to be in Mayfair, Knightsbridge or much nearer the center of town.)

As for food - every counry and area has some odd foods (I must admit I've seem some incredible things in the south). However, no one is going to force you to eat fois gras (which is French) if you don;t want it. Rabbit is not particularly big in England - and as for lamb - I don;t know how that's not american - everyone I know eats - and often cooks it. (You may be thinking of mutton - which is sheep - not lamb - and rarely eaten in the US.)

However, you can get any sort of food you want in England - there are especially good Indian and Chinese places, tons of great French, Italian and seafood places - and lots of both basic (roast beef and Yorshire pudding) as well as new-style english - and the dreaded "continental".

The one thing to watch out for is the English breakfast - which we have found completely inedible except in the Mandarin Hyde Park hotel. (It consists of half raw eggs, uncooked bacon - vs crispy - hot tomatos or mushrooms or somethings - and toast provided in a special chiller - so it comes cold and hard - rather than warm, soft and buttery.) We always just do a continental - since we never eat gigantic breakfasts at home anyway - and for the other meals there are literally thousands of good options.

If you give an idea of what cuisines you like - and what your budget is - people can make specific suggestions. Just don;t go for any of the chain places.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM
ira

Hi NYT,

You left out the cold baked beans and tepid coffee/tea.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi Moreaux,

Rabbit tastes very much like possum.

I suggest that you try a little foie gras pate' on toast.

As noted, London is full of places that appeal to every palate.

Search this Thread