Search

5 or 6 District to Stay In?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 or 6 District to Stay In?

Hi,

I can rent an apartment in either of these districts.

1. Rue des Quatre Vents, Paris 6 eme (Metro Odeon)
2. Bis rue Henri Barbusse, Paris 5 eme (Metro Port Royale)

I know one is the Latin Quarter and one is the St Germain, and I have read on the descriptions of both and both are unique. and good area. However, just wanted to hear from personal experience which one people prefer.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Transportation options are much better around Odeon, just look at the metro map.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I would agree with that assessment, but not overwhelmingly. However, you will be able to walk to more tourist things from the Odeon locaiton.

I like the Port Royal area, but it isn't clear to me what that address is on the street. Perhaps you don't have one, but there should be a number in front of the "bis". I'll assume it's at the southern end. There is no big grocery store around there, although there is a bakery on bd de Port Royal not far, and also on rue St Jacques in front of Val de Grace. There is also at least one epicerie I can think of on rue St Jacques just off bd de Port Royal (nice fruits, that is a small corner grocer). But there is no big grocery store around there.

The RER line isn't as convenient as the metro around Odeon, probably. There is a good bus line running along there, though, that goes over to the Bastille area, and I think one runs up bd St Michel, also.

That part of the 5th near Port Royal isn't going to be Latin Quarter-y (which is fine with me) in comparison to what people may describe it as being near the Seine or may think of if you say it is in the Latin Qtr. That neighborhood is also just called the Quartier Val de Grace. There are a couple big hospitals right across bd de Port Royal and down the street a little, it's a big hospital building area just south of bd Port Royal, and there is a housing office for students nearby, also on bd St Michel. But, being up rue Henri Barbusse should be good as you are off the main big streets.

Rue Quatre Vents isn't much, that must really be right in the thick of things. AS such, it might be too much of a good thing for me (it is right near carrefour de l'Odeon. I don't know, it would depend on the actual apartment and its layout, and floor, probably, as to which I'd pick.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
wug

I think you're looking at the two apartments we are renting in June. Are they both owned by the same person?

We are renting both apartments because we have six people in our party. We chose these apartments because they are so beautifully decorated and are larger than others we looked at for the same price.

My husband and I along with our daughter and her friend are staying in the Odeon one because it is larger. I think that's the best location as far as convenience but, the Henri Barbusse isn't exactly inconvenient, otherwise we wouldn't have rented it for our friends. I think either way you're good. We love the entire area around Jardins de Luxembourg so that's why we picked it.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I vote for the 6th. I've stayed in that district almost annually since 1981. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Wug

wow, what a coincidence. Yes, the person I communicatd, her name is Jeanette, I think she owns the apt or her cousin does.

We are actually staying at both, and switching . The Odeon looked great in the pictures but was more expensive than we thought. So we are staying at the Luxembourg one
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM

kittycatangel or Wug, did you end up staying in the Odeon apartment, and if so, how was it? I'm considering renting the same one and since it's on Craigslist it made me a little nervous.

I looked at your post histories for trip reports but didn't see any.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:52 PM

It's definitely the 6th...and around Odeon is great for transportation. I've stayed in that area annually since around 1981.Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM

I am hoping for a response for someone who has stayed in the particular apartment on Rue des Quatre Vents.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM

ttt