Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5 nites total left for 2 cities, Krakow &Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-nites-total-left-for-2-cities-krakow-and-budapest-1083528/)

Jeanniebw Jan 10th, 2016 05:40 AM

5 nites total left for 2 cities, Krakow &Budapest

Need some opinion, where should I spent three nights, in Krakow or Budapest...

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2016 06:28 AM

If you only have five nights, I would be inclined to spend them all in one place, probably Budapest. Three nights only gets you two days, not really enough for Budapest and barely enough for Krakow if you're going to visit Auschwitz. Taking the night train helps.

Jeanniebw Jan 10th, 2016 06:38 AM

Thank you so much for your comments. I'm taking a night train from Prague to Krakow and have two full days, any recommended places to visit in Krakow. Auschwitz is in my list, preferably like to move around places around there. For the night train, still having doubts for the safety...may I know which train to take, cos I've one pretty bad experience on a night train with no seats.

Cheers
Jeannie

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2016 06:49 AM

For the night train see:

http://www.seat61.com/international-...ow_to_Budapest

Definitely get a couchette.

The guide books have good lists for Krakow, plus it's a good place for wandering around and chilling out in the beautiful main square. I think the former Jewish quarter has a number of new sights since I was there, plus a bunch of eating and drinking places.

bilboburgler Jan 10th, 2016 06:51 AM

Krakow is a small centre with a salt mine and concentration camp or two. Budapest is a real city with lots of stuff to do.

So it depends if the concentration camp is the key, for me Budapest would be the better.

Jeanniebw Jan 10th, 2016 06:54 AM

Thanks so much with all the info above.

Have a nice day!

Cheers

Pegontheroad Jan 10th, 2016 07:31 AM

Krakow!

Alec Jan 10th, 2016 07:42 AM

When are you going to Krakow? Hopefully not during the last week in July, when up to 2 million visitors are expected for Catholic World Youth Day. Auschwitz during this period will be closed to general visitors, except pilgrims attending WYD.

Christina Jan 10th, 2016 10:48 AM

Salt mines and concentration camps aren't even in Krakow, they are out in the country somewhere, there are other things to see and do in Krakow. I've been there twice and was there probably 3-4 days each time and only spent it in Krakow itself. Krakow isn't exactly a small center and not "a real city", it's over half a million population in Krakow city alone. Budapest is at least twice as big, though. I preferred Krakow but was only in Budapest one day so perhaps I'd feel differently if I were there longer, I just wasn't that crazy about it.

It might have to do with some of my family background, some of which is in Poland, though, and I know some Czech so the language is close. I just liked it a lot.

I think it's really just personal preference, there is no correct answer to this question, so you should view the main attractions of each and go to the one that most draws you.

limmy Jan 10th, 2016 01:11 PM

I recently spent 4 nights each in both Kraków & Budapest. Budapest has a lot more ground to cover than Kraków. I felt pretty satisfied with what we were able to cover in Kraków in our 4 nights (and we certainly didn't see everything). But 4 nights in Budapest was just an appetizer, there was so much more to see & do that we didn't get to. I could have easily have stayed twice as long & not run out of things to do.

With only 3 nights to spend Kraków would get my vote.

kja Jan 10th, 2016 03:16 PM

With the time you have, I, too, would opt for Krakow.

Don't miss the <i>Lady with an Ermine</i>.

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2016 03:21 PM

The OP has five nights, not three. The question was how to split them.

Jeanniebw Jan 10th, 2016 04:53 PM

Thanks so much for all the above comments, I'm going in end March and would like to see more of anything that I can with the nights I have. I shall spend two nights in Krakow, one-day walking tour in the main square and etc on the first day I reached early morning. After tour will try the nightlife and the next day maybe make a trip to Auschwitz, perhaps we rent a car to there. Any recommended places to visit on the way to Auschwitz and will make use of our car rent for the day. The next day will have another walking tour to the Jewish quarter. Hope planning is okay..
If time permit, will definitely check out Lady with an Ermine...

Cheers everyone and have a nice day.
Jeannie

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2016 05:01 PM

Auschwitz plus Birkenau is really a whole day, especially given the emotional impact. No need to rent a car, there are buses.

kja Jan 10th, 2016 05:03 PM

"make a trip to Auschwitz, perhaps we rent a car to there"

I was extremely glad that I took a tour to visit Auschwitz. It can be a very powerful experience; I would not have wanted to try to drive afterwards. I found it very important to have some time to sit, quietly, with my thoughts -- and that was the attitude shared by everyone with whom I shared that tour.

limmy Jan 10th, 2016 05:10 PM

The free walking tour that begins twice a day in the main square ends at the Wawel Castle. If you take the earlier tour (10am I think?) you can enter the castle after the tour concludes (this is where Lady with an Ermine is). If you take the later afternoon tour the castle will be closing when the tour ends.

I don't know if there is anything worth visiting on the way to Auschwitz. I would rather try to fit in a visit to Nowa Huta. Also, I think that if you want to do Auschwitz without a guide you have to arrive by 10am which wouldn't allow for any stops on the way in that case.

As for dining & nightlife, we enjoyed Kazimierz, there are some great little spots there.

Alec Jan 11th, 2016 03:44 PM

Not much on the way to Auschwitz, unless Wadowice, the birthplace of Pope John Paul II is of interest to you. You can see the house he was born in (with newly-opened interactive museum) and the church where he was baptised. I thought it was a pleasant small town worth perhaps a few hours.