5 nights too long in Malaga?

Feb 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

5 nights too long in Malaga?

I'm finalizing my upcoming trip to Andalucia and am wondering if 5 nights are too long to stay in Malaga?

I planned my first week (Holy Week) last summer and am spending my usual 4 nights in Cadiz and 4 in Sevilla. I have 7 nights (starting with Easter Sunday) left to plan. I return each year to Andalucia at this time of year so I don't need to (or want to) visit alot of cities in these 7 days. I also want to stay where the weather will be somewhat warm (at least 60 degrees farenheit) as it is an early Holy Week trip this year.

My first instinct is to spend Sunday/Monday in Ronda and then the next 5 nights in Malaga. From Malaga I could do daytrips to Antequera and Nerja (I'm relying on public transportation). My only concern is that it is too long to stay in Malaga - although I've read some good reviews on the old town of this city and it does sound like a place I would really like to stay.

Other thoughts were:
-2 nights in Ecija, 2 nights in Ronda, then 3 nights in Malaga
or
-2 nights Ronda, 2 nights Antequera and 3 nights in Malaga

Any comments on the 3 ideas or other suggestions?

Feb 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM

I like Malaga but I would break it up. With 5 nights, I'd probably take advantage of the Parador 5 night card and plan accordingly.
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Antequera is a destination doable as a side trip from Malaga, it is at about 35 min. There is no nigntlife there. Ronda deserves a night there, but no more as you'd need a car for visiting the surrounding towns. Same happens with Ecija, though spending night there is a good idea as you can visit the following day Osuna, which is very near. Besides, if you are planning daytrips from Malaga, three days would not be much. I may suggest a full day in Ecija, then next morning move to Osuna where you can spend the night or not. There is a direct train link from Osuna to Malaga in one hour. From Malaga you can spend a day in Antequera and another in Nerja.
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Hi cathy,

why not get the train up to Grananda? you could spend 2-3 nights there very happily, seeing the alhambra etc.

regards, ann
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Cathy,
How far is it between Cadiz and Sevilla? Is there a train or are you driving? Why did you pick Cadiz?
We will be in Andalucia during Holy Week as well and were planning to be in Seville for 4 days but I am wondering if that will not be too much for my husband and kids (too much crowds, that is). So I am thinking of spending maybe 1-2 days in Seville and perhaps rest somewhere else close by.
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:48 AM

Its a bit long after the Cathedral and Picasso Museum it begins to dull though the shopping is good. I found 3 days enough

Oh and the market fills 10 mins
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:01 AM

The market wont fill a minute asit closed last week for renovations. Besides, there are many more things besides Cathedral and Picasso. days are OK if staying IN Málaga, but Cathy is planning daytrips.
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:29 AM

Hi CathyM,
Writing this from our wonderful little hotel in Granada where it is a balmy 69 degrees with brillantly sunny skies, just gorgeous spring like weather. This is our 3rd full day and we have yet to finish our sightseeing itinerary.

I agree with annhig. I would do Sun. and Mon. in Ronda, then head over to Granada for 2 or 3 days, then down to Malaga for your final stay. I assume you plan to either fly home from Malaga or take the new AVE back to Madrid.

If it has been awhile since you have visited Granada, as it was for me, you can easily fill 3 days with not only the Alhambra but also the cathedral, Capilla Real, Monastery of the Cartuja, just incredible, and the Monastery of San Jeronimo, Hospital Real, plus a morning long walk thru the Albayzin. And a visit to the stunning gardens and museum of the Fundacion Acosta on the Alhambra hill is a must see as well.

In our 3 plus days here we have been very busy and happyily so. Wish we could continue on to Malaga this time rather than having to return to Madrid.

Just a thought...

Feb 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. You've certainly given me more to think about!

Josele - I didn't combine Osuna with Elciego because I spent 2 nights in Osuna on my trip last year. I budgeted 2 nights in Ronda for a couple of reasons. I'd be traveling from Sevilla to Ronda on Easter Sunday. Either I have to take an 8 a.m. bus, take the train via Bobadilla (with a layover) and arrive mid afternoon, or take the next bus and arrive late afternoon. I didn't want to take the 8 a.m bus so 2 nights is really not 2 full days. I don't generally enjoy 1 night stops either. I had one on my fall trip to Catalunya (Montblanc) and just did not enjoy the rush of it. I'd rather base myself and do daytrips versus 1 night stops, particularly when I'm relying on public transportation. I am very sorry to hear the market is closed for renovations in Malaga. Do you have any input on the Hotel Don Curro? I saw your earlier posts on hotel recommendations and love the Molina Lario but the price is 123 euros (except on the weekends) and it's a little high for this (solo) traveler.

annhig/Maribel: I didn't choose Granada for this trip primarily because of the temperature. According the the weather channel information the highs have been in the mid 50's and the lows in the mid 30's - too cold for me. However, this is contrary to Maribel's in person information! I also am thinking of Andalucia for my fall 2009 trip and Priego de Cordoba/Alcala la Real/Granada are on the same bus line and I have this in my mind along with visiting the Alpujarrus on this trip. The other thing is if I spend 2 nights in Ronda and 2 in Granada then I only have 3 nights in Malaga. With daytrips to Nerja and Antequera and likely not arriving in Malaga until mid-day on day 1 that really shortens my time in Malaga itself. Maribel - I was going to email you to see if you were going to be in Spain for Semana Santa this year. However, it sounds like your trip is happening now. It would be very nice to meet up with you and your husband again. I can't believe it's been 5 years. I still meet up with Olga (in Jerez now) each Semana Santa. Oh, and yes, I plan on taking the new Ave from Malaga to Sevilla. Thanks to your tips I found a web fare for 32 euro!

swissgirl - Cadiz and Sevilla are 2 hours apart by frequent bus or train connections. I visit Cadiz every Semana Santa and just love Cadiz. It's not on the main tourist circuit and there's not alot of "sights" perse so it's not for everyone. But it's a great city to wander around in and enjoy (in fact, descriptions of Malaga seem similar to me which is why I'm interested in Malaga). Cadiz is surrounded by water on 3 sides and is an easy place to use as a base if you're dependent on public transportation. I just like the vibe of this place - friendly people, good food, surrounded by water, nice climate. However, if you only have 4 days in Sevilla I'd stick with your original plan. For a first trip to Sevilla I'd budget a minimum of 3 days. With the Semana Santa festivities an additional day would be good as you'll want to see processionals. You may want to stop at the TI office and get a schedule of opening/closing times for sights - you may have to juggle a little particularly on Thursday/Friday of Holy Week.

I'm also looking at visiting Almunacar/Salobrena. Perhaps an idea would be to base myself in Nerja or Almunacar for a couple of nights?

If anyone has more thoughts please let me know.

Feb 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM

CathyM, Ecija is basically the same as Osuna, only that there are several impressive towers. One day is enough unless you enter churches and convents (some courtyards are incredible, especially Palace of Peñaflor), then you can idle. Ecija (Elciego is in the north!!!) is on the motorway Seville to Cordoba and you may combine it in other trip, including Carmona. I'd suggest the first option, 2nights Ronda, % in Malaga with daytrips to Antequera and Nerja.
Feb 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM

CathyM, forgot about your hotel question. The Don Curro is just round the corner of MolinaLario. It is not new, but it is renovated, and it is a good hotel. I would go there.
Feb 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Hi CathyM,
I really wish we could meet up again, especially during Semana Santa! We have fond memories of Ubeda and Baeza with you and witnessing the wonderful processions! Unfortunately, we won't be able to go south again this March. We'll be in Burgos for Good Friday processions. But maybe in '09! Your '09 itinerary sounds great to me, a really fine plan.

Maybe it was just luck, but we were blessed with glorious sun and warm weather for our 4 days in Granada. It's been in the 60s during the day all this week.

Although it got cold at night (but not cold enough to don the scarf and gloves), at mid-day it warmed up to the mid to upper 60s with lots of sun. While sitting on the terrace of El Huerto de Juan Ranas in the Albaicín having lunch, I was sweating in my cashmere sweater, wishing I had brought some lighter clothes. But again, maybe we just got lucky, but we had the same great luck in January of last year too in Catalunya.

If you do decide to spend some days during or after Holy Week next year in Granada, I can enthusiastically recommend the Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol on the Alhambra hill, right below the Alhambra Palace. The owner, Manuel, is very, very hands on, sweet and kind, and he will come and meet you and drive you straight to the door of his beautiful, tranquil and very sophisticated little 7 room inn. He couldn't have been more helpful, spending considerable time each day to plot out detailed, personalized sightseeing itineraries for us and giving us tons and tons of insider advice. His young assistant, Paula, speaks excellent English and is equally helpful and welcoming. They became friends.

Also Manuel and Paula will give you all the info you need regarding bus travel to the Alpujarras (bus from Granada goes as far as Pampaneira) and the best way to see this area.

We saw all the rooms, and the lovely smaller doubles downstairs go for 100 euros for a single. The terrace views of the Sierra Nevada and the entire city at your feet are just incredible at sunrise and sunset-unforgettable. It's a quick walk down to the Realejo and coming back at night we caught the handy 30 or 32 bus to the Alhambra Palace and walked down to the carmen. Do need to bring very thick soled shoes, though, as those cobblestones are a killer.

Just a few more thoughts...and maybe we can indeed meet again in '09! That would be a treat for us.
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I have been in London for two days, and I cannot believe these sunny luminous days. I regret I did not take my sunglasses...
And please, if you are coming near Malaga, count on me.
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Maribel - I'll definately keep the Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol in mind when I return to Granada. I have friends visiting in April and I'll forward this recommendatin to them also. After I return to Ronda this coming trip, Granada will be the only remaining city from my first trip to Spain I haven't been back to visit. So, it is due very soon. Next year I'm not sure I'll be able to visit during Holy Week for my spring trip. Unless I change jobs the one week a month I have to be at work falls during Holy Week for 2009. I guess it won't hurt to do something different next spring!

Josele - Thanks again. The MolinaLario looks so nice but it's hard for me to justify 200 euros additional when it's just me - that's at least 3 pairs of nice shoes!
Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM

Id agree with an earlier comment on Antequera - absolutely dead in the evenings but kinda nice to see a Spanish town like a ghost town. Maybe a night there would be enough. Got to see Ronda but again, Im wondering if a night would be enough there too. Theres some nice villages between Antequera and Ronda - perhaps something of the beaten track would be interesting for a night?
Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM

Well, weather changes quickly, right now we have in Spain much better temperatures than expected for this time of the year...but the news said that temperatures will be dropping (snow in many mountain places) from Tuesday until Friday , when they are supposed to be rising a bit again.
So, Maribel..it will be cold in Madrid, take care !!
Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM

Hi kenderina,
Thanks for the weather update! I couldn't believe how balmy it was in early February! How were the fiestas in Castellón?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM

Too long, as always LOL I really don't have the chance to fully enjoy them because they close all the city centre to traffic...and I cannot walk so much but they went great !