5 nights in London

Jul 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

5 nights in London

OUr 1st trip to the UK. Arriving 9/12 and leaving 9/17. We will be staying at the Chesterfield Mayfair. Need suggestions for itinerary. Should we start out on the HOHO Bus? Should we get tickets in advance for Tower on London? Buckingham Palace? etc. We want to see the changing of the keys and of course the changeing of the guards. If we get tickets in advance can we avoid lines? Does anyone know anything about the ghosts walks? Thanx for suggestions! Judy
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Hi Judyumcer,

I would definitely take the Visitor's on the first day. It will go by all the major sites and you can "hop on and off" to visit those that you fancy the most. But I would try to see everything from the bus first. The major tour buses have 2 or 3 different itineraries. You can do one in the morning, the other in the afternoon. I would take the one that ends at the dock for the boat cruise last, so that you can cruis the Thames when the lights are starting to go on...

You don't need tickets for Buckingham Palace: just long legs to look over the crowds so as to see the changing of the guard (I didn't!). As to the Tower of London, I would only buy tickets in advance if they were cheaper.

I am sure you will enjoy London, it is one of my favourite cities!
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM

just a few quick comments:

It is the Ceremony of the Keys - and you must apply for the free tickets well in advance.

The Changing of the Guard doesn't require tickets - but it does require a big time investment -- basically standing around waiting.

Buckingham Palace tickets should be bought ahead - and since your trip is so short, I'd book then ASAP just to be sure you get the time/date you want.

The H-o-H-o bus tour is a good way to get you bearings - no need to buy tix ahead. Just pay the driver when you board the bus

You can buy tickets to the Tower at a tube station on your way there.
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Brazilnut may not know that Buckingham Palace is open to the public while you are there - and you most definitely DO need to have tickets . . . . .
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM

If you want to tour the inside of BP (possibly in Sept), you do need tickets ($$$$). This was a highlight for us on our last trip--it's gorgeous inside! We booked in advance and had the tickets mailed to us. London is wonderful but shockingly expensive.
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Judy,

I am sorry, Janisi is right, to visit the Palace you do need tickets, I was referring to the changing of the guards, for which you do not need them, only "time investment" as janisi mentioned, and "long legs".
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Hi Judy,

If you like, you can read how my dh and I spent our time in London at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35015831

Lee Ann