Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 5 nights in Iceland! What do you recommend?
Notices

5 nights in Iceland! What do you recommend?

Aug 9th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

5 nights in Iceland! What do you recommend?

Hi,

We are 2 couples (mid 30's) going to Iceland @ the end of September and will have 2 half days and 3 full days to take the most out of this trip.

What do you recommend? We will be renting a car, though not sure yet whether we really need a 4WD...

Have red about the below, but not sure everything is doable...
- West: Westfjords, Snaefellsnes.
- North: Jokulsarlon, Akureyri, Myvatn.
- South: Volcanos, glaciers, black beach.
- Reykjavik & surroundings: Golden circle, Reykjanes.

Thank you very very much!
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Help!
Aug 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM

5 days to do the ring road is not enough so I would not count on seeing both the North and the South since you can't drive through the middle of the country.

We got back about 2 weeks ago. We had 8 days in Iceland.

Highly recommend the Frommer's Iceland book. I Usually prefer the Fodor's books but Iceland is bundled into the Scandinavia book and Frommer's book is dedicated to Iceland.

Hotel Laxnes (actually a small motel) is just 5 mins outside the city of Rejkyavik - right on Rte 1. Very reasonable and nice rooms. One of the best places we stayed.

Another day for the Reykjanes peninsula with at stop at the Blue Lagoon for a soak.

Golden Circle - we had planned to spend 2 days here but there wasn't enough to do. We went to Gullfoss and Geysir - took a few hours. You could stop here on your way out to Hofn and Vik.

To see the south coast, you will be driving out then back-tracking.

If you can, fly out to Egilsstadir then go to Seydisfjordur - beautiful little town - and head back along the southern coast - overnight in Hofn, stop at the iceberg lagoon, over night in Vik, up to the Golden Circle (a complete misnomer) then up to Snaefellsnes and then down to Reykjanes peninsula.

Max speedlimit in Iceland is 55 and there are Radar Photo cameras on the roads. I am waiting for all my speeding tickets to arrive since I did not realize this till the last day.

We rented our car from Blue Car Rental - they were terrific. Met us at the airport and brought us right to the car.
We rented a Hyundai Tucson since I had a lot of photo equipment. This would be great for 4 people.

Gas is almost $10 a gallon.
But we think we were getting about 30 miles per gallon with the Tucson.

Hope you have a great time!!

Search this Thread