Search

Seeking Feedback on 8 Day Istanul Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
AMV
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Feedback on 8 Day Istanul Itinerary

Greetings. Would value your Input on our 8 day itinerary in Istanbul. Would love to hear feedback from those of you who have been there already as to whether the following itinerary is overly ambitious or leaving out any significant experiences. We have concentrated a lot of the "must sees" during a 3 day block because that is when we will be joined by friends. I tried to allow some free time on most days for those of us who might wish to shop or just relax or visit a Hamam. THANKS!

Day 1: Arrive and settle in. Lunch. Walk around historic core. Dinner.
Day 2: Bosphorus trip up to Ortakoy market. Stop at Dombache on way back. Dinner on which shore?
Day 3: Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Modern Museum of Art. Galata Tower. Dine in Taksim Square?
Day 4: Hagia Sophia, Cisterns, Spice Market
Day 5: Topkapi and Gulhane Park.
Day 6: Suleyman and Rustem Pasha Mosques. Chora Church and the walls.
Day 7: Road Trip. Thinking of renting a car and driving up to the coast of Black Sea for a meal and then return back to Istanbul. Suggestions on where to stop and dine and sightsee greatly appreciated.
Day 8: Princes Islands Trip? Visit to Asian Side? Day trip to Bursa? Other?
Day 9: Depart hoping to return again one day and to see more of the country.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
AMV
Original Poster

I don't know how to edit the subject line - can't believe I misspelled Istanbul!
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM

The Blue Mosque, The Hagia Sofia and the Cistern are all within spitting distance of each other. They could be done the same day. I think that the archeological museum is a must for its Roman sarcophagi.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM

I would suggest some time spent exploring the Asian side. Kadikoy was my absolute favorite area of Istanbul. Uskudar was incredible as well.

What I like about the Asian side is the authenticity and the vibrancy. It was nice to get away from the touts and see the "real" Istanbul. It was there that the real warmth of the people came through. They had nothing to sell us but had this openess, friendliness and curiosity that was so welcoming. I really regret we didn't spend more time on the Asain side.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 03:11 AM
AMV
Original Poster

Thank you this is all very helpful. I will try to find a way to spend some time for sure on the Asian side. We definitely want to see the archeological museum too; for some reason I thought it was included within Topkapi. I hope to see all the museums surrounding Topkapi including the one that features the tiles and ceramics.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
AMV
Original Poster

Any one else have any suggestions or feedback? Thank you.