Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 nights in Belgium:How many nights in Bruss. vs Brugge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Kelly

Hi, <BR>I am leaving for Brussels next Wed. March 28th. I am was originally planning to stay overnight in Brussels for the duration of my trip (5 nights). <BR> <BR>After reading the feedback on Brugge I am contemplating staying my last night in Brugge (Monday-arriving early in morn) and then trecking to the airport the next day(takeoff is 1PM). I don't want to cram my trip. Is this itinerary too aggressive? Maybe I should spend 2 nights in Brugge (arriving late Sunday night)? <BR> <BR>Is Brugge worth a night or two over when I only have 5 nights? Maybe I should just plan a day trip there? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your feedback. <BR> <BR>PS I have found a hotel at Brugge which would take a 1 or 2 night stay.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:51 AM
just

We spent approx. 1 day in Brussels, spent the night, headed to Brugges mid-morning for 2 nights and then left Brugges in the a.m. One could spend another day in Brussels (at least), to hit some of its less centralized attractions. Brugges was nice, but we felt we had covered it pretty well in the time alotted. Brugges is great, but I would prefer to return at some point, then spend too many days there at one time. I don't know where else you have thought of going, but I believe there is some nice castle country toward France, but I am sketchy on this.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:33 AM
Kelly

Thanks 'tryingto@help'. I thought we would stay in Brussels and the only trip out of the city would be to Brugges. I wanted to do a trip outside the city but not to over-do it with too many much. <BR> <BR>I am still unsure to just make Brugges a day trip from Brussels or to actually pick up our stuff and do a night or two in the city. Again we wouldn't arrive for a two nighter until late Sunday. We would then have the entire next day to do as we please (in the city) without worrying about catching the train in or out.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:58 AM
just

Definitely go to Brugges and stay for a couple nights. Brugges is a nice compliment to the business-like Brussels. People will tell you, also, that Brugges is best at night, when all of the tours leave. It can be less crowded and feel more like your own.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:13 AM
Brian in Atlanta

2 nights in Brugges, 3 nights in Ghent.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:24 AM
Tracy

Hi Kelly - <BR> <BR>3 nights Brugge, 2 nights Antwerpen IMHO. Count me in as a Brussels hater! <BR> <BR>Good luck planning your trip, though : )

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:24 AM
Rex

Sleep where you want - - though I do give a big thumbs up to the Hotel Erasmus in Ghent. The distances are not long ones in Belgium. Besides Brussels (one day?), there is much to be enjoyed in Bruges, Ghent, Leuven, Antwerp (though I've never been there, people keep calling it the "new Prague") and Maastricht(NL)/Aachen(D). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:07 PM
lisa

I have to say, I have been to Brussels before and was not enamored of it. I personally would not want to spend more than 1-2 nights there. <BR> <BR>Haven't been to Bruges yet but have heard all the raves and am finally going for 3 nights in early June -- can't wait. <BR> <BR>As someone else mentioned, you can easily do daytrips e.g. to Ghent (very short train ride). That's what I'm planning to do for one of my days.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:53 PM
btilke

Hi there--I live in Brussels and STRONGLY suggest you flip your itinerary and spend most of your nights in Brugge and only one in Brussels. <BR>Brugge is magical at night, when the hordes of day trippers are gone. It's a very safe city to wander in at night, which Brussels is NOT. <BR>I would spend 2 days in Brugge, a day in Brussels, and another day in Leuven, Antwerp (watch out for pickpockets), or Ieper (fantastic WW I museum). Or perhaps Tournai for its excellent museums (otherwise skip it). <BR>FYI, you can catch a train from the Brussels airport to Brugge and vice versa. <BR>The train service from Brugge is excellent. Trains to Brussels run every half hour and the trip takes 50 minutes. It's another half hour to Leuven; you won't have to change trains in most cases. There are also trains to Antwerp. <BR>If you're really feeling ambitious you could even do a day trip to Paris. From Brugge, it's about two hours and 20 minutes. But take a regular train to Brussels Gare du Midi and THEN switch to the Thalyis to Paris. <BR>I hope it's not too late to change your hotel reservations! <BR>Brenda <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:50 PM
Kelly

Too bad I learned of this Fodor's advice forum just the other day. <BR> <BR>Brenda, thanks for the great many details. Previously, I have heard very little about the town of Leuven. My guess is that it's right on the coastline. Please tell me more! <BR> <BR>I think the best I can do about reservation is to book more time in Brugge and shorten my time in Brussels (thank goodness for the off season). In case I decide to wing it...I would find this hard to do (it's against my character) does anyone have hotel suggestions for Antwerp and Ghent. I would like to spend less than US$90 a night and helpful/freindly/english speaking people are a plus. <BR> <BR>I would love to go to Paris but I think it's too much to do (I only have 5 days and a laid back travel companion). <BR> <BR>Brenda, you mentioned there's a train that goes from the airport to Brugges. Is it a direct train? I have surfed the Belgium RR web page (admittingly not entirely) and I haven't encounted a train map. <BR> <BR>Thank you all for your feedback. Keep the information coming!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:01 PM
Kelly

<BR>I forgot. Is it as bad as I have heard...sneakers are a huge fashion faux-pas. <BR> <BR>I had to ask.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:13 AM
Btilke

Hi Kelly, <BR>First of all, Leuven is NOT on the coast! It's a half hour east of Brussels, toward Germany. Just wanted to clear that up. I like it better than Ghent. More compact, easier to get around and frankly, I think it's a lot prettier (and much less touristed). <BR>The Belgium train systems web site is www.b-rail.be or www.b-rail.com (try the .be one first). It has info in English, but I think there's more info available in French. <BR>Personally, I would keep Brugge as my base and not switch to a hotel in Ghent or Antwerp. You don't want to waste all that time schlepping luggage around and checking in and out of hotels on such a short trip and in such a small country! <BR>The train from the Brussels airport to Bruges is direct in the sense that you don't have to change trains, but it does stop in Brussels and Ghent (at least 3 stations in Brussels). But it's a pleasant enough ride, especially if you splurge a little and get a first class ticket (highly recommended; the second class cars can get VERY crowded, particularly on the Brugge routes). Not all the trains are direct, however, you may have to change in Brussels. When you buy the ticket at the airport train station, ask if you have to change and where. The people working the ticket booths speak English. <BR>You will really enjoy Brugge at night. It's gorgeous then and many of the visitors are day trippers, so it will feel much quieter (Brugge on a busy weekend can be unbelievably crowded!). <BR>If you happen to be in Brugge on a Friday afternoon, there's a lovely musical service in the Beginhof church around 5 pm. I happened on it by accident one Friday and was mesmerized. <BR>For meals, there's an Irish pub near the Crowne Plaza hotel that's got good food and good prices. For a splurge, De Gouden Hareng, tucked on a side street behind the Groeninge Museum is an upscale, non-touristy restaurant. Make sure you take a boat ride if the boats are running. <BR>In Brussels, you'll go to the Grand'Place of course. Don't miss the Sablons area--it's arguably the prettiest place in town. For lunch, I highly recommend the Greenhouse on the Avenue Louise. It's tucked next to an oriental rug store just before the Place Stephanie. It's a real favorite with the locals. Also, the Cafe Nemrod on the Blvd. de Waterloo at the Louise metro stop. Get their "assiette Nemrod" house plate which are toast fingers of pate, ham, and caviar (ask them to skip the "cannibale"). Good cappuccinos, pleasant service, and a nice big fireplace to relax by. Finally, be sure to pick up a copy of The Bulletin as soon as you get to Belgium (get it at the airport). It's the English language newsmag for Brussels and Belgian expats. <BR>Brenda