Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5 nights in Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-nights-in-barcelona-1022297/)

kroghjean1 Aug 6th, 2014 09:43 PM

5 nights in Barcelona

Hi All, my sister and I (mature fit ladies) are planning a trip to Spain in September 2015 and would like some tips on where to visit and where to stay (4*) We want to make this special ,including some good restaurants, as we live on opposite parts of the world and don't get the opportunity to spend quality time together.
My thoughts are to start in Barcelona and travel down to Madrid (train?). We will have 12 days to do this.
I will appreciate your thoughts and experience.
Regards,
kroghjean

RM67 Aug 7th, 2014 02:27 AM

Lots of trip reports on here will help you decide.

Here's mine:-

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

adrienne Aug 7th, 2014 03:30 AM

Here's my Barcelona list. There are many threads on this board on Barcelona if you search. I would stay in Bari Gotic.

Sagrada Familia
Parc Guell
Casa Battlo
La Pedrera
Palau de la Musica
Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia
Ramblas
Sant Pau Hospital
Palau Güell
MNAC (Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya)

mmodrich Aug 7th, 2014 07:58 AM

My husband and I just went in May and really loved the feel of El Born. A lot of good little restaurants to choose from yet close enough to the major sites. Walking distance to the Picasso Museum and the Cathedral.

kroghjean1 Aug 7th, 2014 10:14 PM

Thank you all for your informative, funny and picturesque replies all which are appreciated. I have lots of time to collate and digest and eventually put together our itinerary. I will certainly be hoping to book your apartment RM69 !
Regards

RM67 Aug 8th, 2014 02:15 AM

You're welcome - and thank you especially for making me two years younger :-)

DebitNM Aug 8th, 2014 05:19 AM

We are staying here in December; another poster is staying at same apartment in November. We will report back.

http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...era-suites.htm

kroghjean1 Aug 9th, 2014 07:40 PM

Thanks DebitNM......Oops RM67.

nina88 Sep 24th, 2014 05:41 PM

DebitNM, we're the ones who are staying at PS this coming Nov. I also recommended the apt. to our neighbor/friend ... they will be back from their Spain vacation this coming Friday. Will post as soon as I hear from them.

DebitNM Sep 24th, 2014 06:06 PM

Great NIna! Can't wait to hear...
Feedback looks good ( there wasn't any when we booked )

IMDonehere Sep 24th, 2014 08:19 PM

The art of Barcelona is in the streets. It is a cosmopolitan and historic city with its own sense of style and swagger. Just to add Adrienne's list is La Boqueria, one the most interesting markets in Europe and a trip to the top of Montjuïc for spectacular views of the city. And remember that the language spoken there is Catalan which is founded in Provençal, not Spanish, even though almost every Catalan speaks excellent Castilian as well.

Have a wonderful trip.

nina88 Sep 28th, 2014 04:18 PM

Just to share my friend/neighbor's review re Pedrera Suite. The family (4 adults) just came back. They said the apartment is good as far as location and cleanliness are concerned, that they did not have to pay a security deposit and they were able to pay the balance of the rental by cc (without additional fee). Concerns are: habitat provided just 1 towel each to be used for 4 days! You have to bring your own soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. There is no dryer though there is a washer. My friend's son wallet was pickpocketed at the metro near the apt... so be careful. Let me know if you any questons and I'll pass it along to her.

DebitNM Sep 28th, 2014 04:23 PM

It would have been nice to have more than 1 towel each, for sure. Bathroom products not an issue as I bring my own. Very few apartment rentals have dryers and those combo washer/dryers don't seem to do much.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Deb

kroghjean1 Oct 9th, 2014 11:10 PM

Thank you everyone. I think the stealing must certainly be an issue in the city....not enough to put me off but it's good to be aware. I will certainly be following up on the Pedrera Suite....Just have to wait until I can get a miles flight!
Regards JK

Christina Oct 12th, 2014 07:11 AM

I think Barcelona and Madrid are a great idea for 12 days, and the high speed train is easy between the two.

As for hotels, in Madrid I really like the Intur Palacio San Martin. It has an excellent central location and is near a couple metro stops, but walkable to Opera area, Plaza Mayor, of course, Puerta del Sol, etc. But it is on a side street/plaza, so is fairly quiet for being in the center of a big city. it is also much cheaper than some of the trendier 4* Madrid hotels, and it has lovely traditional furnishings.

In barcelona, I like the 4* hotel Jazz and NH Calderon, which has a very good location in the Eixemple. Both are modern (many hotels seem to be in Barcelona nowadays), but comfortable and both are close to placa Catalunya for transportation. The good thing about NH Calderon is it's right on rambla Catalunya (this is NOT the famous ramblas below placa Catalunya), with tons of outdoor cafes, restaurants, etc., just a short walk away to choose from. I traveled there alone, and that was nice for dinner. It's also only a few blocks west of Passeig de Gracia.

I rented an apt from Habitat, also, and the furnishings depend on the owners, I imagine. I had more than one towel, pretty sure. But mine was missing a coffee pot!!!! That's really not acceptable for a rental apt.

I have never heard of any rental apt giving you personal toiletries, that's normal. They aren't hotels, if people expect everything like in a hotel, they should stay in a hotel.