Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5* Madrid Hotel Villa Real 99E with breakfast! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-madrid-hotel-villa-real-99e-with-breakfast-806379/)

lincasanova Sep 16th, 2009 12:47 PM

5* Madrid Hotel Villa Real 99E with breakfast!

Amazing offer I just saw at Travelzoo. I thought I already posted this but it seems I didn't. If repeated, please forgive me.

I hope someone can enjoy this BARGAIN!

Robert2533 Sep 16th, 2009 01:48 PM

What are the strings attached to this one? Travelzoo does impose several restrictions when booking these "discounts". I know someone who booked their Madrid hotel through Travelzoo for three nights at the end of their trip, but when their plans changed a few weeks before their trip they were unable to cancel the booking without forfeiting the entire costs. When I checked the same dates on the hotel’s website, the identical package was 5€/day less and completely refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival, pretty standard stuff. It didn't end up being much of a bargain for them.

There are some hotels that, although they offer a steep discount (the early bird specials) on their own websites when paying in advance, will still refund your money if you have to cancel, the Majestic Group being one. There are several other hotel groups that consider it good business and customer relations, and great marketing. It’s always best to check with the hotel first before opting for some “bargain”.

ekscrunchy Sep 16th, 2009 02:15 PM

Thanks for posting this...I will also check the hotel website--that price sounds almost too good to be true!

ekscrunchy Sep 16th, 2009 02:34 PM

I checked a few random dates on the hotel's site and the prices are much higher. Even in January, the cheapest room is 140 euro.

lincasanova Sep 16th, 2009 11:21 PM

As the travelzoo ad says, you must book directly with the hotel by phone. Bookings accepted until September 30 for stays starting October 22 through February 28, 2010. You must mention the Travelzoo offer. Hope this helps.

"How to book: Call the hotel directly in Spain on 011 34 91 420 37 67 and ask for the offer advertised in Travelzoo. Rates will be quoted in Euro at 99€ including tax ($145)".

I have booked bargain rates also through hotel websites but many times they are prepaid, non refundable, but I knew that ahead of time. But yes, it is always good to check twice or thrice!

ekscrunchy Sep 17th, 2009 02:29 AM

Thanks, Lincasanova! I was puzzled about Robert's comment that he found similar pricing on the hotel website...the rates I found on their site were quite a bit higiher, but then perhaps I checked the "wrong" dates!

This sounds like a very good deal to me! Do you have to pre-pay with the Travelzoo offer?

lincasanova Sep 17th, 2009 03:55 AM

He was talking about another incident where sometimes you ar enot saving anything.

I just called the hotel and they have most of november open, most of december with a few blackout dates.. and you can cancel 24 hrs in advance.. so.. looks fabulous.

I am getting out my calendar!

ekscrunchy Sep 17th, 2009 04:12 AM

Very interesting...I was thinking about January....I will also get out my calendar!

lincasanova Sep 19th, 2009 05:50 AM

ttt.. great deal! Don't want anyone to miss out who might be interested!

ekscrunchy Sep 19th, 2009 06:37 AM

I have put this idea up for discussion with my travel partner....thanks ever so much for alerting me.

cruiseluv Sep 19th, 2009 06:54 AM

A great deal indeed! Too bad I'm not going to Madrid in those dates!