5 Hr. Layover at Gatwick AP, England

Old May 18th, 1998, 12:11 PM
Donna DiPalo

5 Hr. Layover at Gatwick AP, England

Is is possible to get to a village, a PUB, or worthwhile site around Gatwick in a 5-hr layover? We arrive at 6:35 AM.....could use some kippers, and....what do you think? Thanks much!

Old May 18th, 1998, 01:29 PM
Kathryn Talintyre

Not too sure that many pubs will be open early morning (usually don't open till around lunchtime). However, it is only a 30 minute train ride from Gatwick airport to central London - you could have a couple of hours sightseeing.

There are several hotels attached to the airport (Hilton, Meridien) where you will be able to get breakfast.
Have fun !

Old May 19th, 1998, 11:48 AM
Donna DiPalo

Kathryn, thanks so much for your quick response. We had heard that pubs open at 6 AM and close for an hour or so around 3 PM, guess that was wrong info. It's been 30 years since our last visit to London (honeymoon) so catching 2 hrs. in town may be do-able. If jet lag has set in, your recommendation on the airport hotels is much appreciated. Thanks again!

Old May 19th, 1998, 10:48 PM
Ben Haines

If I read aright, you hav0635 to 1135 between planes, and are lookingfor kippers at breakfast, and a pub. A handful of pubs do open in England at six: these are the pubs beside the great wholesale markets. The nearest to Gatwick is Borough Market, across the High Streett from London Bridge station. Trains run from Gatwick to London Bridge in forty minutes, but are rather few in the rush hour. I think you would be before the rush hour. In principle, the pubs can serve only legitimate users of but I think they may be flexible, and in any case you can always buy a pound of potatoes. What I doubt is that any of trhem can serve you kippers.
Also, it's a long way to go.

So I'd take a different tack, and go south. Maybe all the way (half an hour by train) to Brighton, where any large hotel will have kipprs: the "Ship" is old and good. The advantage here is that Brighton pubs open at eleven, and are good. Maybe just ten or twenty minutes south to somewhere like Haywards Heath, to breakfast in a hotel, walk the town (not interesting) till the pubs open, and down a pint or two. If I planned this, I'd ask the tourist information desk in the airport what they'd name as an interesting town or village on the railway line south of Gatwick, ask them to name the biggest hotel, and go there for breakfast. But I don't promise kippers.

Good luck.

Ben Haines, of London, in Karachi

Old May 22nd, 1998, 08:56 AM
Donna DiPalo

Hi Ben, you were right on the mark with the information you were kind enough to share with us. So much so that we believe we are heading 'south' for an hour or two--and depending on our stamina, after the transatlantic flight. All you told us sounded like our kind of side trip. Brighton and the "Ship" are do-able. Pints, kippers or perhaps just a pound of potatoes!! Thanks so much! Sharing is truly caring in this world! If you ever need info on Baltimore, (Maryland, that is) give us a 'hello'!

Old May 22nd, 1998, 12:12 PM
roger

Just another idea. 12 miles away (30 minute train ride) is the Essex town of horsham. Might give you a better flavor of a small English town. Brighton I found to be ok, but somewhat sleasy with its pier with cheap carnival type shops. Like I said, its ok but not a town I would return to visit. Hope all turns out well for you. On last thing. Be sure to find out the return timetable.

Old May 28th, 1998, 05:04 AM
Donna DiPalo

Thanks Roger, and Fodor's too.
This sharing of learned information is invaluable. Roger, perhaps since Essex is somewhat closer to Gatwick we could take advantage of a visit with more ease of mind; returning to the airport for our Rome connection. The 'beach' at Brighton did sound intriguing though. Really do appreciate your's, Ben's and Kathryn's feedback. Molto grazie, Ciao, Donna.