Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 hour layover in Amsterdam - enough time to go into city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed from Minneapolis to Rome via Amsterdam. We have exactly a 5 hour layover - is this enough time to go into the city to see it a bit? Also, if it is enough time, is there luggage storage at the airport?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, there is luggage storage at the airport. The train ride into town is ~20 mins. Depending on if your incoming flight lands on time, how quickly you exit the airport, and how early you need to be checked back in for your continuing flight... you might have a couple hours free time.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:18 PM

We too are in Amsterdam between flights and have arranged to take a tour from the airport with Holland Tours Schiphol ([email protected]). It's 2 1/2 hours and costs 38Euros. We had thought of doing this ourselves but with this tour you depart and arrive back at the airport which saves you the trouble of finding your way in such a limited time. I talked to Odette by email and she's putting our name on the list (they need 4 to book a tour) for our time frame. Say hello to her for me; Jean from Canada.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Someinex is such a wonderful screen name. Who else remembers:

"Take Sominex tonight and sleep. Gentle, restful...sleep, sleep, SLEEP"

?????
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If both your MSP and FCO flights are with NW or KLM, you shouldn't have to fetch luggage at AMS. You will clear passport control, but customs for your bags will be at Rome.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I'd like to hijack this thread, or at least piggyback on it.

We will also have a long layover (longer than Jacyln's) in Amsterdam on our way to East Africa. We arrive at 10am and depart at 8pm. Even with my paranoid be-at-airport-for-flight-out-3-hours-early state of mind, we'll have time for a good day.

Now that I've started researching, I'm having a hard time prioritizing. We will do the canal boat tour. We will have lunch. And I'm thinking that, despite our exhaustion, we could probably handle a museum for an hour or so. Yes, the Rembrandt-Caravaggio show will still be on while we're there. I just wonder if we'll have the concentration for it.

Other thoughts are: Resistance Museum, Rembrandt's house, Old Church and New Church.

What would those of you who have been to A'dam choose? As indicated, I'm a big lover of museums and architecture. I just worry that we'll be too tired to really appreciate...

Oh, and we have never been to Amsterdam.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Leely,
You could see the Anne Frank House as well. Of course, The Rijksmuseum is fabulous as well.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:36 PM
lonelyplanet

The first time I went to Italy, I had to wait for six hours at the Amsterdam Airport. I did a four hour tour of Amsterdam. The driver took us to the many sites and stopped twice for pictures. The tour also included a visit to a cheese factory in the outskirts of Amsterdam. I know there's also a longer tour which includes boat ride. I think it was good. I don't remember the price, though. At least it was better than staying at the airport for six hours doing nothing.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks, wanderlust. If you only had time/energy to visit one of the top attractions in Amsterdam, which would you choose?

The more I research this city, the more I'm kicking myself for not building in a few days' stopover. What a fool I've been!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

yes, you can make a quickie visit to amsterdam. ther train ride is less than 30 minutes. get a map of the city as you can walk to a number of areas (dam square & royal palace; 17th century canal belt) but your time is a bit limited... have a great trip!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I have been to Amsterdam before, so I know I can figure the city out - but it was a stop on the train, not the airport. Gardyloo, we will be on NWA/KLM, but we won't be checking any bags (just carryon) so we will need to store it at the airport. I figured this would be doable - I'll have to check out some of the mini-tours. Leely, I have to say one of my favorite things I did when I was in Amsterdam a few years ago was the Anne Frank house - just makes your jaw drop. One more question though: a friend told me that we should check in for our AMS-FCO flight before we leave for the city so it would save time later ... good or bad idea (or even something we could do)?