Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5* hotel for 130 pounds a night in London

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:10 PM
des1ree

The hotel is the Grange Holborn, and the room is a four seater - with two double beds located in the West End part. Can anyone give me any feedback on it? I have booked the room, but it is not too late to change so, please give me any opinion you might have about it.
Thanks.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Kathy

Our family passed the Grange Holborn on the way to the British Library last summer. The lobby looked really nice. It is a large, modern, downtown-type hotel located on the corner of fairly busy city intersection. I have seen the website for all the Grange hotels, which are all either renovated or newly opened a couple years ago. I don't think I have read anything negative about the Grange hotels in this forum.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:25 PM
janis

The Grange chain is very nice - they aren't what I would call 5 star. In London that would be for the really top end places.

But for a good 4 star, Grange hotels are VERY acceptable. And 130 is excellent for any 3 or 4 star hotel in London so you should probably go for it.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:51 AM
desiree

Thanks, Kathy and Janis. THe Holborn is being advertised as a five star hotel, and that is why I think it is a good deal.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Clare

I'm not sure when you're planning on going to London, but I would look into www.lastminute.com for some great deals on some 5* (Le Meridian, Ritz, Intercontinental etc) for under 100 per night. You might also want to consider location and where you will be spending your time. I would think that around Hyde Park corner would be a good place, walking distance/short subway to Knightsbridge, Picadilly, Oxford st etc. I have stayed in London often and would recommend that you can get a better rate and location than the Grange Holborn.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:13 AM
desiree

Clare, thanks for the information. We are going on the 6th of Sep for three nights and we will be three adults in one room. Since you are familiar with London, can you give me some more insight on other hotels or websites to look into as well?
Anyone else's opinions welcome too.
Thanks again,

Desiree.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Clare

Regarding which hotels to stay in: I suggested the area near Hyde Park corner because it's in the midst of everything and Green Park Tube is right outside the door and there are a million Red Buses to whisk you around also. There are a bunch of hotels in that general area, Sheraton (www.starwood.com); Intercontinental (www.interconti.com); Hilton (www.Hilton.com) etc. If you already have the Grange Holborn booked, keep the booking but in the meanwhile keep looking on www.lastminute.com. If you wait a week or two before you go, you'll see there are a million specials on last minute and the other websites too. I'll give my hotel contact a buzz on monday to see if they know of any great rates and will post you back if I find anything.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Virginia

I have found very good prices at www. hoteldiscounts.com. I found a room there for $116 that I had seen at another discount site for maybe $200. Suggest comparing prices for where you want to stay.

I haven't been to London for a long time but have decided--partly from reading this board--that Bloomsbury is the right location for me because of nearness to British Museum and theatres.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Simone

Check the rate at the Bonnington Hotel, in Bloomsbury and very near two tube stops, in a discount hotel website. I got a great deal while visiting London in May.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Ro

Clare.....Looking into staying at a Marriott downtown, or Renaissance, cashing in points. Do you know which one would be a convenient downtown location to attractions?

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 07:50 AM
janis

Ro: see the answers on your other thread . . .

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Clare

I would vote for the Grosvenor Hotel for location, but County Hall for niceness.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:44 AM
Nigel Doran

Try searching discount sites for cheap hotel rooms.

According to a report in one of this weekend's newspapers, rooms are to be had at over 50% discount.

www.lastminute.com
www.wotif.com (possibly .co.uk)

There are bound to be others if you search.

The article said that the websites offered cheaper rates than even going to the hotel directly late in the afternoon.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Pam

I am booked in at the Millennium Gloucester for Sep 3. Does anyone know this hotel and recommendations? Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Shelley

Pam,
I have replied about this hotel before but am always happy to give my opinion! My husband and I stayed there in August 1998 and I was pleased with the accommodations and location. It is a big hotel, not quaint by any means. It was very much what I am used to finding in American hotels. We did, however, upgrade to a club floor when we checked in ---- mainly because we were at the end of a two week tour of southern England and wanted to pamper ourselves. Our room had a king bed, marble bathroom, air conditioning, blow dryer, iron and ironing board, honor bar, and was plenty roomy. With the club floor comes cocktails and munchies in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning. Also, there is a speedy check out on the club floor so you don't have to wait in line in the lobby. It was not much more to upgrade ---- I can't remember exactly, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 or 15 pounds. The hotel is right across the street from the South Kensington tube entrance and also the Big Bus tour stop, so transportation is convenient. I would stay there again!

Having said that, we were again in London in June and stayed across the street from the Gloucester at Harrington Hall. I liked it very much. It is a smaller hotel, but more upscale, although our room had the same ammenities as the Gloucester but cost a bit more. We stayed at Harrington Hall this time because we were with my sister and her family of four and Harrington Hall could accommodate them better. She was delighted with her room and has often remarked she would definitely stay there again, as would I.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:57 PM
terry

We just returned from London yesterday (8/12). I was so pleased with our stay at the Hilton Hyde Park. I know many people avoid chain hotels but I was satisfied. For 2 adults and 1 teen, we paid 47 pounds per night (NOT per person, 47 total)which included full breakfast. The tube stop (Queensway)is at the hotel and the street next to hotel has shops, restaurants and grocery stores. Hyde park is directly across street. Room was a decent size (small bath)and extremely clean. It worked as well for us as the expensive five-star hotel in Paris where we spent the previous week. Check the www.hilton.com web site to find a superdiscounted rate.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:29 PM
rtf

Terry, how in heaven's name did you get that incredible rate? I just checked the Hilton site for several differen dates in November and the rates ranged from 94 to 180 pounds.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Julie

I too found a great rate at a Hilton - Green Park at hilton.com. In late August I have a room reserved for 50GBP. Have not been yet, so can't report as to whether it is a deal or not but at that rate as long I don't share the room with any animals, it works for me.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:39 AM
kam

We got a terrific rate at the Mayfair Intercontinental. Very coveniet to Green Park tube and Piccadilly. Have stayed there before several times--a good solid choice in London. Contact them directly and ask for special offers.