Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5 days only. Split between Prague and Vienna? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-days-only-split-between-prague-and-vienna-259442/)

spc Sep 19th, 2002 11:56 AM

5 days only. Split between Prague and Vienna?

Hello,<BR><BR>I found a frequent flier ticket that allows me to fly into Prague (arriving Monday afternoon) and out of Vienna (on Saturday afternoon.) I realize it's not an optimal schedule, but the ticket is free and I'll be able to use Marriott points for hotels, too, if I like. (Sometimes I don't like.)<BR><BR>My question is: how would you split your time between these two cities? Again, I can't really change the itinerary, as it was the only one available at this late date for November. (I'm actually surprised I found anything at all!) <BR><BR>My objective is to see some sights, take in the culture and history and generally just get a good overall feel for the cities. I am not one to run around town with a tight schedule of attractions to see. Moreso, I like to relax and see the major sights, but I don't ever go too far down the list on a first trip to a city.<BR><BR>I should mention that it is slightly possible (a few seats left) to return from Berlin instead of Vienna. Preferable, by anyone's measure? I'd prefer to take the train between Prague and Vienna/Berlin, too.<BR><BR>What do you recommend? I so appreciate the advice I've always gotten from you folks -- and am hoping you'll steer me straight this time, too.<BR><BR>Many thanks in advance! SPC

greg Sep 19th, 2002 02:22 PM

I lived in Prague for 5 months several years ago and then returned for a visit, splitting my time between Vienna and Prague in 1995. I have very fond memories of Prague, so would suggest more time there than Vienna, although Vienna is a beautiful city. In Prague, the Prague castle is a must see, after walking across the Charles Bridge across the Vltva river. There is also an old castle further out from Prague but very accessible via the metro (refer to a guidebook, I'm having trouble remember but it began with a V I believe). A stroll through the medieval streets of Old Town is very interesting.<BR><BR>When in Vienna, I was there during winter, so I took a full circuit on the tram around the city center, and found that to be a great way to see a quick overview of the city in 30 to 60 mins i believe. Some wonderful gardens and pedestrian walks in Vienna.<BR><BR>The train between Prague and Vienna should be about 5 hours if I remember correctly.

spc Sep 19th, 2002 05:50 PM

Thanks, Greg, for your thoughts. Anyone else?

Kristin Sep 19th, 2002 06:28 PM

I love Prague and so am prejudiced. It is old and the buildings have not been subjected to much war damage (altho the floods are another story). I think I would stay in Prague until at least Thursday evening and take a late afternoon or evening train to Vienna (if there is one and if you have a room ready in Vienna). Then you would have all day Friday and part of Saturday in Vienna. JMHO Another person could well advise the opposite approach.

jt Sep 19th, 2002 11:20 PM

I'm facing a similar decision, and research so far suggested: Vienna has tons and tons more major palaces, museums, etc. Prague seems to inspire a lot more admiration for it's atmosphere, charm, etc.<BR><BR>Therefore I leaned to more time in Vienna, since "charm" is a very personal thing. If it didn't strike me that way it doesn't seem to have much compelling to do instead. When I'm charmed, I'm really charmed, but many places others find charming drive me up the wall...

joshua Sep 20th, 2002 05:51 AM

i would split the time: i would take a train to vienna on thursday morning - i wouldn't go to berlin. it's a great city but 2 or 3 days is simply not enough. nevertheless, prague and vienna can be seen in 2 or 3 days - of course, that it woukdn't be enough, but you could see the center araes of both cities, and i would prefare - the old city in prague, and the inside of "the ring" in vienna. have fun

Joe Sep 20th, 2002 09:11 AM

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Berlin, Vienna, and Prague a couple years ago. All threee are fascinating, but my favorites were Berlin, which is an amazing powerhouse of a place, and Vienna, which reminds me of Paris. Having said that, Prague has medieval charm and you can't go far wrong if you divide your time equally between the two. The Sigmund Freud Museum, by the way, is the most impressive house museum I've found. His couch and most of the other office furniture is in London, but the waiting room has the original pieces. You get a feeling of the anxiety that must have built up in that room.

liz Sep 20th, 2002 11:12 AM

Alright, I haven't been to Prague. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE Vienna (Wien). It's fabulous for those who love the fine arts (Mozart and that Boys Choir group), for those who are more contemporary, there is great art and architecture, for the young at heart there's the famous Prader (??). Of course, the coffee house scene is totally unique but there's also the beer and schnitzel atmosphere and chocolate(!). It has interesting history with the empire and all that and is the most "Eastern" of the "western" european capitals which is a great mix, IMO.

Julia Sep 20th, 2002 12:50 PM

I’ve read recently that after the flood they have rat and polluted water problems in Prague. Its a wonderfull city to visit, but I think you have to wait a little