Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 days in the French countryside (avec bebe). Where to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
My husband and I, along with our 7-month old baby, will be visiting France in mid-September.
We are frequent visitors to Paris, but would like to venture out to the countryside for about 5 days.
We did Normandy last fall and loved it, but now we're considering renting a house/cottage/gites in Burgundy or Provence. (We are open to suggestions for other regions as well!)

A few questions for Fodorites:

Which would be easier to get to, keeping in mind we'll be with a baby? TGV from CDG to Provence or drive to Burgundy after landing?

Will the weather in Provence be significantly warmer/better? I would love to have some pool time, if the weather is still good. Would this be possible in Burgundy in mid-September?

Merci
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add some additional details:
We plan to travel "slow"....staying in one place for all 5 nights, and just enjoy the scenery, local markets, and sipping some wine. There are no big must see sights for us.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:45 AM

It isn't clear where you are coming from, but your profile says you are in the US Midwest, so upon landing you probably will have had two flights and a travel time of at least 10 hours, I'd guess.

SO then you plan to rent a car and drive somewhere in Burgundy for several hours? So that will take about 4 more, at least, including drive time, getting the car etc. And you'll have to make sure you get a baby seat.

But you also need a plan for Provence as you don't say what your plans would be upon arrival. If it is again to rent a car and drive somewhere for an hour or two, I'd have the same concerns, and that makes what would theoretically seem easier (to me) end up about the same only with a 3 hour TGV ride in-between.

If you just plan to get to say, Avignon, and check into a hotel, then I'd say that would be easier than the drive to Burgundy.

I've been to both those places in September, and yes, it is warmer/hotter in Provence, by about 10-15 degrees F (day and night). IN Burgundy, probably low 70s F in daytime. But it's still very nice weather, just not as hot. I wouldn't count on the the pool in Burgundy, but you never know, it may be possible. Your choices will be limited of gites with pools, and some won't rent for only five days, but I'm sure you can find some that do.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM

I would go to Provence. Pool might work in burgundy but not for a baby.
Look at gitesdefrance.com or .fr.
Keep language to French or you will lose those who didn't translate
I would go to Aix en Provence or on the coast - like Antibes.
Take the train not the car - booking in advance is cheap.

Have fun.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 11:31 AM

Rent a car at the airport and drive. So many great possibilities no matter where you go, especially as you are interested in slow travel. Provence is very exciting and beautiful every step of the way.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 01:17 PM

I think I would also vote for Provence but really I prefer Languedoc, basing in or around Uzes. It is super charming around there and we find it less expensive. Also, that area tends to be a bit less hilly than many parts of Provence which might be easier to manage with a baby. You could take the TGV to Avignon TGV station (the station outside the city) and pick up the car. You are only about 3 hours from Argeles sur Mer which has nice sandy beaches as opposed to the mostly rocky beaches found closer to places in Provence. Depending your flight length and whether you can sleep on planes, it might make sense to spend the night near the airport and ge the train the next day-less stress about missing your train due to flight delays as well.

Another idea would be to take the train to Bordeaux from CDG, pick up a car and either explore the area close by on the Atlantic. We have a family summer home in St Palais sur Mer and September is usually warm and we are still swimming in the ocean. It is one of our favorite months since the summer people have left to go back to work. Our "record" has been swimming as late as October 10th (although during an exceptionally hot year)! And nearby is the ile de Re, which is great for families with kids, flat and easy to rent bikes with baby carriers and lots of calm flat beaches.

Alternatively from Bordeaux you could explore some of the Dordogne, although there is lots to see there! Another thought would be to visit the Loire since it is an area with lots of parks and castles and gites and easy to find a nice base where you could explore from.

September is also like to be the grape harvesting vendage season depending on the temps.,and that is a pretty time in most of the wine areas.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 03:03 AM

Whatever you do, don't fly overnight and then drive for more than an hour or so.