Notices

5 days in Milan too much?

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Milan too much?

I'm planning a trip to Italy in June/July and will be spending my last 5 days in Milan. I'm starting off in Rome on an organised tour that will take me to Venice, Verona, Lake Maggiore, Cinque Terra and Florence.

I'll be coming to Milan after this tour. Initially I was thinking that it would make a good home base for day trips to Lake Como/Varenna/Bellagio and on the Bernina express.
But since then I've been reading up about Milan and my impression is that it's a commercial/industrial type city? There's not much to do there? Maybe 5 days is too much time there?

I will arrive into Milan on Saturday from Rome around lunch time. I thought we could walk around Navigli area that afternoon and have dinner there.

On Sunday I thought we might do a day trip to Lake Como/Varenna/Bellagio.

On Monday I thought might be a good day for Shopping/Duomo/La Scala?

On Tuesday there's an organised day trip to Bernina Express.

What to do on Wenesday? What else there to see and do? Maybe a trip to Lake Garda? Or an Outlet?

Any helpful advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:22 PM

You don;t say how long you have in each place with the organized tour. Is it mandatory to spend thsoe days in Milan? Will you have spent enough time in other cities? Rome? Venice?

In the last ice age I took a tour to Prague, Budapest and Vienna (the only way to get decent hotels in P and B). But I started out in Berlin for 4 days and arrived in Prague 2 days before the tuor did (I was able to get the same hotel on that basis).

What options do you have in terms of before and after - and could you better use the days elsewhere.

IMHO Milan is great for fashion - but I was bored after 2 days.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM

I think most people would only want a day or day and a half IN Milan itself but that seems to be all you are talking about given the day trips. Other great day trips would be Bergamo and possibly Mantua (Mantua very worthwhile, just not sure how easy it is to get there from Milano, Bergamo was very easy as a day trip). I LOVED Bergamo, one of my favorite towns in Italy (and I've been to quite a few). Here's my photos of the region - http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/milan_bergamo_mantova

Have you booked a hotel yet? Hotel Berna (http://www.hotelberna.com/) was wonderful and it's very close to Milano Centrale for easy day trips. But also the metro is right there and it's only a few minutes to the Duomo.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:54 PM

I think your plan sounds solid! There's a few things you might be interested in - Pinacoteca di Brera, Sforzesco and if you're interested in clubbing you could consider Armani Prive, Hollywood, Old Fashion, Just Cavalli...and Milan is all about fashion go to via Montenapoleone even if you aren't interested in buying anything. I would really recommend experiencing the nightlife and enjoying the fashion and shopping (serravalle outlet), it's primarily what it's for.

May I ask what's the tour you booked?
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - I was thinking of maybe going to Lake Como for a night from Rome, then spending 4 nights in Milan instead.
Isabel - your photos look great! I think Bergamo is a contender for the day trip. Logistically it looks very doable.
Rodarte - Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely go to via Montenapoleone. I may not be able to afford anything there but there is no price on looking Any other suggestions for shopping, dining and clubbing?
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM

I would spend the entire time in Como or elsewhere on Lake Como, and make a day trip to Milan.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Rodarte here is the tour I will be on http://www.trafalgar.com/aus/grand-i...xperience-2014
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 11:32 PM

We spent an afternoon and evening in Milan and that was enough. I would not return, just lacked charm and was expensive. There are much nicer places to stay!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM

My husband and I spent five days in Milan a few years ago and we didn't see all the things we wanted to see; we're planning another trip this year. Milan is a city of high culture. The very best of music and opera are there. We only saw a little bit of the Sforzesca castle, because we were running out of time. We didn't see the amazing Monumental Cemetery at all.

The Brera Gallery has an unbelievably rich collection of art; I would place it high on the list of the best museums I've visited. We saw the Last Supper, and several very early Christian churches. We rode a canal boat on the Naviglio Grande; in nice weather, they have combination canal boat/bicycle tours in the countryside. (That's one of the things we'd like to do on a return visit.)

There are many great restaurants in Milan. For fine dining, it's almost certainly better than Florence or Venice, and probably better than Rome.

The city has an urban vibe rather than quaint medieval streets, but for sophisticated international travelers, Milan should never be perceived as boring.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. I'm going to looking into spending an extra night in Florence or spending a night in Como.