Search

London hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London hotel

Trying to find an above average($250-$400) London hotel close to attractions, not too congested, close to tube stops. Like to find a single room myself, wife, and 2 teenage daughters can all stay in. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
- the sites/attractions are spread over a huge area. No single hotel will be close to more than a handful.

- Probably 95% of central London hotels are w/i a reasonable walk of one or more tube stations.

- Quads are rare and usually quite cramped.

How long will you be in London? Often renting an apartment is better for a family than getting two rooms in a hotel. More space, more amenities, for (usually) less money.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Agreed - you don;t want a "single" room - which would be for one person. You need either a "quad" room (fairly rare) that will hold all 4 of you (but possibly in 2 double beds) or 2 double rooms.

When we traveled with my tween/teen daughters they got their own room - so we had some privacy and didn't have to share a bath (which they never leave) with them.

I would either go for an apartment or for 2 double rooms on Priceline. If it's not too many days you can probbly get a 4* hotel discounted to your budget.

And London is a huge city with sights spread out all over. You will have to take the tube to many of them no matter where you stay - although I would pick a central area to keep your commuting time limited. Try Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Here are several hotels with quad rooms. Most will have 2 double beds or a double and pull out sofa. An apt. might be a better choice.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM

https://secure.hotel-assist.net/my-results.asp

I swear my brain is going
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
yk

You can look into the Citadines aparthotel properties. The one in Trafalgar Sq (Northumberland Ave) is probably the best location. their 1BR apts can sleep up to 4, but that means sofa bed in the living room for your kids, and 1 bathroom only. Their website lists the size of the 1BR as 38 meter squared, which translates to 400 sq feet, which is tiny for 4 people.

The plugged in a random date in Feb and the rate is £175/night.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM

The Renaissance Chancery Court is in a great location--literally steps to Holborn tube and easy walk to Covent Garden, British Museum, Inns of Court, etc.

They might have rooms at the high end of your budget, particularly with the pound now much lower. I have stayed there many times--rooms are very spacious--many with two queen beds and large bathrooms.

Overall, it is a lovely hotel. Details on www.marriott.com

Ask for special weekend rates (which they will combine with regular rates for weekday nights), breaks, etc.

Give it a try.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there 4 nights so I know that limits our apt options. Anyone know any other hotels with "quad" rooms? Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
yk

Some regular 4* hotels in London allow 4 adults per room - but most of them are just a room with 2 double beds (usu 2 queen), and you will have even less space than the Citadines aparthotels I mentioned above.

the citadines aparthotels DO NOT have a minimum length of stay.

If you still want a hotel, several Holiday Inns in london allow 4 adults in a room, but they charge extra for the 3rd & 4th persons. And there is at least one Holiday Inn that has Jr suites.

The Park International at Gloucester Rd tube station also advertises Quad rooms. Fodorite carolyn has stayed at that hotel before, so I know it's an okay place.
http://www.parkinternationalhotel.co...ge-E-quad-room

Also, some Marriott properties in London offer King suites.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM

We stayed at the Chancery Court this summer with 3 people in one room (and a second king room for 2 people). The room for 3 was very large, much larger than the king, which was quite spacious itself. I imagine we could have had a 4th person in our room. Lovely hotel in a great location.