Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5 days in Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-days-in-ireland-640564/)

julelev Aug 20th, 2006 03:44 PM

5 days in Ireland

Hi, can someone help with a 5 day/4 night itinerary in Ireland. We are planning two nights and two days in Dublin and then would like to hit the West Coast. Have heard Dingle peninsula as well as Sligo. Any recommendations? we have to fly in and out of Dublin.
Thanks!

MaryZ Aug 20th, 2006 04:26 PM

With only four nights, and two of them being spent in Dublin, I would save the west for another trip. It would be a shame to spend so much of your time in the car, and I'm afraid that's what you'd be doing by traveling across the country and back again in such a short time.

Why not take your time and explore the beautiful areas south of Dublin?

CAPH52 Aug 20th, 2006 04:53 PM

I completely agree with MaryZ. We were there for 5 nights this past March. We flew in and out of Shannon. The farthest we strayed from Shannon was Westport. And, if anything, we were pushing it.

With only two nights to spend out of Dublin, you're going to enjoy the trip much more if you stay fairly close to Dublin.

If you do a search on Ireland on these boards what you're going to read over and over again is that the best way to enjoy Ireland in a limited amount of time is to concentrate on a fairly small area. Travel is slow on Ireland's narrow roads. And there's so much to see and experience! You're really cheating yourself if you try to cram too much in to a short time.

Mary's suggestion for exploring the areas south of Dublin is a good one. Or you could head north and check out Newgrange.

If I were you, I'd pick up a good guide book and read some of the trip reports here from travelers who've been to Ireland. Once you have a better idea of what appeals to you, come back with specific questions and there will be many people here happy to help you!:)

strass Aug 20th, 2006 05:02 PM

If you decide to stay near Dublin, a wonderful place to check out is Glendalough. It's just gorgeous--beautiful monastic ruins and natural scenery, a few good restaurants and pubs. I think it warrants a day and overnight, although it can be done in a daytrip.

johngerard Aug 21st, 2006 12:30 AM

You would need at least 3 days to take in Dublin - St Stephens Green & O'Connell Street areas can easily take up 2 days. Glendalough is nice but you are pushing it to get there, see the sights there & get back in 2 days. I would suggest of your 5 days that you spend it in Dublin for 3 & the 2 best or driest days you visit Malahide or another close town. In the last 5 years Ireland has drastically changed with buildings going up practically overnight. The once green land is not as emerald as it used to be so I can't recommend as many places for fear they have changed since I last went. Sligo has some attractions but unless you know the places you might miss them & you would need transport - its about 4 hours by car from Dublin on a good day but most places are within 6 hours of Dublin, its just getting anywhere else thats difficult.

wojazz3 Aug 21st, 2006 06:08 AM

The west coast really isn't an option but I disagree that Glendalough can't be done. Don't drive there though. There are tours to both Glendalough and to Newgrange/Knowth which can be done from Dublin. They are day tours and with your schedule, the easiest option. CIE does some of those tours and the other company I remember is Mary Gibbons. I believe she is the only one that does a combined Powerscourt/Glendalough tour.

Bill