Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5 days in Greece, need help figuring out which island to go to!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5-days-in-greece-need-help-figuring-out-which-island-to-go-to-628247/)

randp Jul 3rd, 2006 07:58 PM

5 days in Greece, need help figuring out which island to go to!!

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Greece for 5 days in mid-late September before heading on to Italy. We originally were thinking of doing 2 days in Athens and then heading over to Santorini, however after reading about the sporadic ferry schedules and thinking about the time it would take to get to Piraes, get tix in time for the "scheduled" ferry and back in 3 days...it seems like it would be a rush. (traveling 2 of the 3 days). First, what do people think? Is this possible and worth it? We are now also seriously contemplating simply going to Aegina instead. This seems like it would be a less hectic option....but we are still undecided. Has anyone stayed on Aegina? Was it a good experience? We are looking for some great beaches, some good food, and to experience a little of Greece culture. Any suggestions will help!!!

murphy89 Jul 3rd, 2006 08:36 PM

Hi randp,

You could see Santorini if you flew - my flight cost about 72Euros(one way)and took about an hour. Time saver but it costs you. Personally, if I was only going to be in Greece for 5 days I would stay on mainland. I would spend 1-2 full days in Athens and then head to Nafphlio for the rest. From wonderful, beautiful Nafphlio you could day-trip to Ancient Mycenae, Sparta/Mystras, Epidavros and any number of other places (check out the Fortress in Argos for example). Nafphlio is right on the ocean so there is a small pebble beach in town and any number of smaller beaches along the coast. There is a scuba center in Nafphlio too, in addition to neighbouring sand beaches. To me this gives you the best of both worlds - great sites, water fun, beautiful architecture and its only about 2.5hours from Athens. People always think they have to go to an island to 'do' Greece, but really mainland has so much to offer. As an alternative mainland itinerary (if you dont requre a beach) I would consider instead a trip to Central Greece - Kalambaka and the Meteora monasteries, Delphi, Metsovo for example. Just a thought.

Let us know what you decide!

Cheers,

Murphy

randp Jul 3rd, 2006 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, we will check into your suggestions. We did look into flying as well. I definitely have the "I need to go to an island" fever, but i'm slowly coming around. I would rather enjoy my time than spend half of it in transit. I also checked out your Greece feed, much great advice there. Thanks for posting!

Sandarini Jul 3rd, 2006 11:06 PM

Hi Randp--

Check out Hydra -- A wonderful island not far from Athens, by hi-speed boat.

Google Hydra, Greece for a wonderful delight. We always end our travels to Greece on this Island & have never been disappointed. Totally. a different experience.

Happy Travels-- Sandy in Oregon

Sandarini Jul 3rd, 2006 11:11 PM

Hi randp--

Sorry, forgot to say -- My opinion is that 5 days in Greece is too few to even fly to another island. Hydra Island is a wonderful experience and an easy transit from Athens (Pireaus). Enjoy & you will forever want to return.

Sandy in Oregon

Jojonana Jul 4th, 2006 04:07 AM

I would also suggest Poros. We absolutely loved Poros last October. It gives you a good "island" feel, yet it is only one hour boatride from Athens and you are only 5 minutes from the mainland. There you can rent a car and visit some beautiful ancient sites of the Peloponese! We stayed at Sto Roloi and strongly suggest it!